Movie Avatar

I saw "Avatar" in 3-D IMAX a week ago and liked it so much that I'm taking my holidays-visiting daughter to see it again. Yes, the story is weak, the dialogue predictable, and the moralizing a bit heavy handed, but it is a technological work of genius. Totally amazing, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to simply enjoy what can now be achieved. This film may well be the technological benchmark of much of what it is to come over the course of the next decade or more.

We knew going in the story line is predictible - but one I like...

Saw it last night in IMAX - impressed :)

Saw it in regular 3D (IMAX was sold out). Eventhough, I knew within 10 minutes the ending, the story was well told. The special effects were extraordinary, and the cinematography was absolutely gorgeous.

Saw it in Imax. The 3D was okay, but didn't blow me away as the next coming. Visuals were very nicely done. Story was boring, predictable, biased, and full of characters who were cartoon-like stereotypes.

It HAD to be better than "Sherlock Holmes", which Frank and I saw last weekend instead of Avatar. It was OK as a movie, I suppose, but not at all faithful to (or even reminiscent of) the stories and probably had Sir Arthur Conan Doyle rolling in his grave. :nonono: Lots of violence including explosions, death by falling from great heights, and more, with only a hurried passing nod to the intellectual puzzles that made the Sherlock Holmes stories so fascinating to begin with. Oh, not only that, but the theater didn't have a single empty seat.

We COULD have seen Avatar. I sure wish we had.

Oh, not only that, but the theater didn't have a single empty seat.

We COULD have seen Avatar. I sure wish we had.
No empty seats in the Imax theater for Avatar, don't know about the other versions.

We were kicking around seeing both, and then either or, but ultimately I think we'll wait for Sherlock Holmes to come out on video and get it from Netflix. Avatar won out because of the 3D - which oldest son (the techno Geek) loved.

Sherlock lost out mostly because of the reviews we read which included descriptions of the action scenes. Sherlock Holmes an action-hero? What was Hollywood smoking when they came up with that idea?

Sherlock Holmes an action-hero? What was Hollywood smoking when they came up with that idea?

Uhhh....that would be Robert Downey Jr and his success with superhero Iron man....but if there's no (or little) brain power....hmmmmm.

BTW....another sci-fi freak here and my comparison for Avatar relates back to my early childhood....do you remember the 1st time you saw The Wizard of OZ.....I only had a BW TV and so had gone someplace special to see OZ.....and when it turned from BW to COLOR, like most I was totally mesmerized....same feeling with Avatar....the 3D is pretty flawless and helps to make you a part of the movie....

I've NEVER been to a movie at the theature more than once....until NOW....saw it in 3D and in IMAX 3D....gotta admit I liked the 3D version better....maybe it was better glasses or the fact that some of the sound in the IMAX version is ULTRA LOUD.....and bein' an old guy now, it can hurt my ears until I adjust to it....

So GO if you can.....you won't regret it!

Hey, VACollector, you are back!

It's good to see you around. An update to the rest of us on how things have been for you?

Hey, VACollector, you are back!

It's good to see you around. An update to the rest of us on how things have been for you?

Thanks for the Welcome Back :greetings10: ....I guess since I've been rediscovered (damn you Avatar!!) I'll update thru another post to see if I can bring you (and me) up to date...thanks again!!

Went to see it tonight with DW and DD during our visit to the big city. Sold out, and we got there over an hour before the show. :( We could have gotten in to see it in 2D, but what would be the point? Oh well, I'll go see it during a matinee sometime in the next couple weeks. If they have it in 3D out in the boonies where I live. :confused:

Went to see it tonight with DW and DD during our visit to the big city. Sold out, and we got there over an hour before the show. :( We could have gotten in to see it in 2D, but what would be the point? Oh well, I'll go see it during a matinee sometime in the next couple weeks. If they have it in 3D out in the boonies where I live. :confused:
Ahhh...sorry y'all missed out on it. :(

You know...I can't remember the last time I've been to a theater. I need to get out more. :blink:

Truthfully, it didn't break my little cheapskate heart to miss it. $10.50 for the ticket, plus a $3.50 3-D surcharge (I guess for the glasses). Yow!

I get motion sick playing 3D computer games (like first person shooters). Is the movie in 3D anything like that?

I have not seen a movie in a theater for a long time. Maybe 5+ years? I think I'll try to get to this movie on Friday or Saturday.

I get motion sick playing 3D computer games (like first person shooters). Is the movie in 3D anything like that?

I have not seen a movie in a theater for a long time. Maybe 5+ years? I think I'll try to get to this movie on Friday or Saturday.

The 3D is actually subtle, not like the shark coming off the screen or flying heads, blood etc from earlier days. It is just used (effectively!) to enhance the natural environment so it pulses and glows with life.

No harrowing 3D chase scenes thru valleys and stuff? I almost got motion sick during the scooter chase scenes in Empire Strikes Back (you know, the one with the dang little Ewoks).

Hey, I liked the Ewoks. The cute, fuzzy, mujaheddin, cannibals were adorable. I mean who wouldn't love a murdering little teddy bear?

The 3D stuff is pretty low-key, I only noticed it a few times as standing out (like when there was a big fire and embers were floating around - it was almost as if you could touch them). The rest of the time it wasn't noticeable, or at not annoying would be another way to say it.

That is surprising. I'm a moderate TV watcher, and I've seen way to much about it over the past few weeks. It got 2½ stars (of 4) in Chicago papers and the two people I know who saw it thought it was visually stunning, ho-hum story. Pretty much like others have said here. I'll wait for it to come out on BD...
Ever seen someone flame themselves?

Based on the recommendation of a friend, we went to see Avatar in 3D IMAX yesterday. It was AMAZING. If you like movies, and have any appreciation for special effects - you have never seen anything like this! GO SEE IT.

I think there is a little more to the story than some people realize, although I will concede it's not the greatest story ever told. Pretty critical of America's handling of terrorism, oil, etc. And some nice spiritual references, although many might not notice.

The poster above is an idiot, no clue what he was talking about...

Ever seen someone flame themselves?

Based on the recommendation of a friend, we went to see Avatar in 3D IMAX yesterday. It was AMAZING. If you like movies, and have any appreciation for special effects - you have never seen anything like this! GO SEE IT.

Saw it and loved it. Best story every told? No. Beautiful escape from reality? You betya. IMHO, the best movies take you to another place. Avatar lived up to this brilliantly.

I've seen it twice now, once in 3D and once in IMAX 3D. I liked both, but I think the IMAX 3D was better.
I am so looking forward to this technology appearing in more movies:)

Saw it last week in 3D. I can't hear words in a movie, but, with Avatar it didn't matter. Loved the visual experience.

Anyone else notice how the Pandorians were very cat like? They even hiss when cornered. I liked that.

This review of Avatar is hilarious:
Not just hilarious, but a dead on analysis. Too many lines I loved in that review, like "while the visuals were in 3D, the story and the characters were stuck in 1D".

I hadn't heard that some viewers were finding themselves depressed over Avatar because Pandora showed them how beautiful it could all be, but oh so unobtainable. Google it to find idiotic quotes like this:
"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "
I have to again agree with the reviewer: "Get a (*%^@#!ing life, take your Prozac, and get back in the toll booth."

Back
Top Bottom