Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No harrowing 3D chase scenes thru valleys and stuff? I almost got motion sick during the scooter chase scenes in Empire Strikes Back (you know, the one with the dang little Ewoks).
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #42

Hey, I liked the Ewoks. The cute, fuzzy, mujaheddin, cannibals were adorable. I mean who wouldn't love a murdering little teddy bear?

The 3D stuff is pretty low-key, I only noticed it a few times as standing out (like when there was a big fire and embers were floating around - it was almost as if you could touch them). The rest of the time it wasn't noticeable, or at not annoying would be another way to say it.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That is surprising. I'm a moderate TV watcher, and I've seen way to much about it over the past few weeks. It got 2˝ stars (of 4) in Chicago papers and the two people I know who saw it thought it was visually stunning, ho-hum story. Pretty much like others have said here. I'll wait for it to come out on BD...
Ever seen someone flame themselves?

Based on the recommendation of a friend, we went to see Avatar in 3D IMAX yesterday. It was AMAZING. If you like movies, and have any appreciation for special effects - you have never seen anything like this! GO SEE IT.

I think there is a little more to the story than some people realize, although I will concede it's not the greatest story ever told. Pretty critical of America's handling of terrorism, oil, etc. And some nice spiritual references, although many might not notice.

The poster above is an idiot, no clue what he was talking about...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Ever seen someone flame themselves?

Based on the recommendation of a friend, we went to see Avatar in 3D IMAX yesterday. It was AMAZING. If you like movies, and have any appreciation for special effects - you have never seen anything like this! GO SEE IT.
Saw it and loved it. Best story every told? No. Beautiful escape from reality? You betya. IMHO, the best movies take you to another place. Avatar lived up to this brilliantly.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #45

I've seen it twice now, once in 3D and once in IMAX 3D. I liked both, but I think the IMAX 3D was better.
I am so looking forward to this technology appearing in more movies
Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #46

Saw it last week in 3D. I can't hear words in a movie, but, with Avatar it didn't matter. Loved the visual experience.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Anyone else notice how the Pandorians were very cat like? They even hiss when cornered. I liked that.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

This review of Avatar is hilarious:

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Not just hilarious, but a dead on analysis. Too many lines I loved in that review, like "while the visuals were in 3D, the story and the characters were stuck in 1D".

I hadn't heard that some viewers were finding themselves depressed over Avatar because Pandora showed them how beautiful it could all be, but oh so unobtainable. Google it to find idiotic quotes like this:
Quote:
"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "
I have to again agree with the reviewer: "Get a (*%^@#!ing life, take your Prozac, and get back in the toll booth."
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Indeed! I liked Avatar but this review might be more entertaining.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I went to see it the other day (in 3D). It was a lot of fun, but +1 on the review. Nothing like being flogged in the head with a dull moral. But still, pretty cool as simple entertainment. Of course, this is the opinion of a guy who's two favorite movies of all time are The African Queen and Buckaroo Banzai.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I hate leeches - what's with the watermelon?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Awesome and insightful review. Still a lot fun and impressive movie.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Mr. Bean joins the Na'vi:

Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

ok, here's a blue bean:

Kalo Mr. Bean jadi pemeran utama avatar | TweetPhoto
Old 02-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

In China, "Avatar" beats "Confucius". Somehow, this does not surprise me.

Avatar™ Swamps Confucius™ at China Box Office (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

PS. I still have not seen "Avatar". DW and I both do not feel like going to the theater.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I saw it last weekend in 3D. I'll grant that the story line is simplistic, but I felt like I was witnessing a whole new level of technology - kind of like seeing the first talkie movie back in the day. The subtle facial expressions have reached a point where they are a significant contributor to understanding and appreciating the characters. I'd recommend it, especially in a theater. This would be ho hum on a small screen.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

We may go see “Avatar” today in 3D. I’m wondering how it compares to a great short movie using real critters called, “Bugs.” Anyone see both? I’ve seen “Bugs” three times and will go again if it is still showing in June when we will go to zip code free day at the Science Museum. Great technology, and nice butterfly life-cycle story, probably the best use of 3D I’ve seen since the “House of Wax.”
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did not see the movie because very complex CG doesn't really do much for me, i.e. the visually intense graphics of today. Seeing the short movie clips on this review reinforced that. I would not have enjoyed the battle portions at all. Too serious for this kid.
I grew up with traditional Disney animation and still enjoy the classics for the simplicity of the artistry and the sappy plots. I do like the style and lightheartedness of the Pixar films.
To each their own...

The dialogue of the review (that Martha provided the link to) was hilarious.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Martha, I loved it! I admit that I haven't seen the movie, but I still liked the analysis. His analysis of the Navi's facial features seemed very perceptive to me as did much of the rest of the review.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote