Movie Hit Rate Poll

Of every 10 movies that you rent, record, buy, or watch at a theater, how many do you actually like?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 2 6.9%

Votes: 7 24.1%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 4 13.8%

Votes: 4 13.8%

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
I answered 8.
I do not rush out and see a movie when it first comes out.
(Unless Johnny or Keanu are in it - and that could be 90 minutes of them just standing there and I'd love the movie :LOL: )

I wait and read reviews and hear what other people say. My taste is not like most of the other girls in the office, so if they like the movie, I know it's probably one to steer away from. >:D

Also, since almost all of my movies are seen thru Netflix, I can see a small preview online and my cost per movie is cheap.

We still like to go see two movies a week - lately foreign movies seem to have more of an appeal than domestic movies.   

In this last year that I've implemented ()'s home-theater set-up, I've borrowed movies from libraries, except for the rare couple of movies--indie film-fest type stuff.  My cost is little except for late library fees and purchase and use costs of the home-theater equipment.

However, because it costs me less than when I used to go to the movies (which was still seldom), I find that I am not as discriminating in what I watch, whereas before, the cost of movies would hold me back from just watching movies that I would predict to be not so good.  So, my ratio of really good movies viewed has gone down--I'm guessing about 3 out of 10.

I guess I've got the "time-sink hazard" and "quality hazard" of having a home theater in play here.

I haven't been impressed with a movie in a few years, not since the Lord of the Rings trilogy ended. :'(

IMHO, it takes a great book/screenplay, a great director to bring it to life, and top rate acting talent to create a movie really worth seeing these days. As for the first requirement, there are thousands of great novels that could easily be transformed into screenplays, and which many directors and actors would really enjoy being involved with once they've read the books/screenplays.

Rented "sideways" a month ago, loved it. I voted 5 out of 10, we only see movies in the theatre if it's really special effect laden and dear to the heart (Star Wars, LOTR etc.). I have a home theatre, 43 inch HDTV, 6.1 DTS surround and HBO Hi Def and I still don't see that many movies. Now Football, that's a different story!!! :D

Jay_Gatsby said:
I haven't been impressed with a movie in a few years, not since the Lord of the Rings trilogy ended. :'(

IMHO, it takes a great book/screenplay, a great director to bring it to life, and top rate acting talent to create a movie really worth seeing these days.  As for the first requirement, there are thousands of great novels that could easily be transformed into screenplays, and which many directors and actors would really enjoy being involved with once they've read the books/screenplays.

Most of you know I am a big Hemingway fan. A lot of his stuff was made into
movies, but it's all pretty dated now. I wonder why some of his novels aren't being refilmed, or better yet some of his short stories. A lot of them would make excellent movies. Maybe his heirs won't allow it??

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Most of you know I am a big Hemingway fan.  A lot of his stuff was made into
movies, but it's all pretty dated now.  I wonder why some of his novels aren't being refilmed, or better yet some of his short stories.  A lot of them would make excellent movies.  Maybe his heirs won't allow it??

JG

And speaking of Hemingway :) DW told me the other night about reading
a story written by an aspiring author. One submission was returned with a
note. It said, "You should try to write like Hemingway." She replied
that would require a lot of fishing, fighting and f**king and she didn't think she was up to it. Good response I thought. :)

JG

The last movie I went to was over three months ago, so it'd take me nearly three years to finish this survey.

I had to look it up in Quicken. I gave my kid the money for her pass but I honestly can't remember what I saw-- did Star Wars III come out before mid-June? In that case it was worth the cost of the big screen & special effects but I wouldn't pay money to see it again.

MRGALT2U said:
Most of you know I am a big Hemingway fan. A lot of his stuff was made into
movies, but it's all pretty dated now. I wonder why some of his novels aren't being refilmed, or better yet some of his short stories. A lot of them would make excellent movies. Maybe his heirs won't allow it??
JG

I agree that they are good stories. I think you also got it right that they are dated.
I did rent a video of one of his stories the actors were Amand Assante and the guy who quit Law & Order and dated Julia Roberts for awhile - I can't think of his name. It as a low budget film set in the Carabian about a yatch that sinks and the salvaging of the loot. OK film.

dex said:
I agree that they are good stories.  I think you also got it right that they are dated.
I did rent a video of one of his stories the actors were Amand Assante and the guy who quit Law & Order and dated Julia Roberts for awhile - I can't think of his name. It as a low budget film set in the Carabian about a yatch that sinks and the salvaging of the loot. OK film.

That's 'After the Storm'. Fabulous story!

JG

Back
Top Bottom