Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Movie Review: An Inconvenient Truth
Old 07-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If the movie is just about "global warming: Is it happening and why" then I think it could be fairly free of politics. But when we jump to "what should be done about it" then we're into politics with both feet (as we should be). In the US, one political party was heavily in favor of the Kyoto treaty as a means of addressing the problem, the other party disagreed with this approach. Al Gore is no impartial observer, he's a politician (or, as now, he's either a candidate or will be pushing for one).

Laurence, did this movie happen to provide any suggested courses of action? Anything that we might have seen in a campaign speech before?

Reducing CO2 emissions is going to be very tough. CO2 isn't even properly termed a "pollutant" since it occurs naturaly in the air as a considerable fraction. More importantly, wheras the locals gain a better quality of life when they reduce emissions of sulfur, CO, nitrous oxide, soot, etc, they gain almost nothing from reducing CO2. It's the "tragedy of the commons" all over again, to revive an old eco-chant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

(edited for spelling and to add link)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Samclem, check out the website:

http://www.climatecrisis.net/

The movie ends with many things you can do to change the path we are on.

I can't say enough, please express your opinion, whether you differ with the movie or not, but please, AFTER you see the movie. If you have an article which refutes a particular point in the movie, brings doubt on the validity of a conclusion in the movie, I want to see it. What Bill Clinton did in the Oral office is completely irrelavent. I would especially like to plead with those who are adamant that global warming is a myth to see the movie. Michael Moore's movie stunk of political pandering and skewing of facts, there was none of that in this movie.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for posting the link, Laurence.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Someone who saw the movie: Did it mention that global warming is caused by overpopulation?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence

The movie ends with many things you can do to change the path we are on.
Laurence, now that you have seen the movie, what are you doing now to change the path we are on, and what changes are you planning to make in the future?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I say if you are serious about 'global warming', then change your own behaviors. Reduce your own impact on the earth- walk the walk. Limousine liberals like Al Gore and Laurie David are flying around in a private jets that are burning thousands of tons of fuel and are condemning people with families for driving SUV's! That is not my idea of 'walking the walk'. In fact, it stinks of hypocrisy.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
That is not my idea of 'walking the walk'. In fact, it stinks of hypocrisy.
When I was working I used to commute 2000-3000 miles/year by bicycle. In ER we barely rack up the same mileage in our cars.

Our solar water heater is chugging away. Our photovoltaic array put our electric bill below $20 last month and will probably hit $13 this month. Our home has more insulation than ever and we haven't had to turn on the ceiling fans until June this year. Our yard has needed less water each year as we improve the drought-tolerant landscaping. I think we're stepping more lightly on the environment this year than ever before.

Aside from identifying stinking hypocrites, Alex, what are you doing?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #48

What am I doing about global warming? I am doing nothing and have big plans to do more of nothing tommorrow. Nonetheless, I am 'walking the walk' because I don't believe that "Humans' are causing *global climate change. (* that is the Politically Correct phrase - that way when the earth starts to cool the 'greens' wont have to re-do all of their signs!)

But, I do recycle my garbage
Old 07-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Well, now we have both the econazi side of things and the butthead side of things.

I suspect the reality is somewhere in the middle. A huge percentage of people are just going to bury their heads on pollution, and when our grandkids cant live on the planet...well...not their problem...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #50

Gore drives a hybred.

Check out Comedycentral.com and click on Al Gore tape.

Also a note of interest. Bank of America just announced that it will give any Bank Of America employee $3,000 towards purchasing a hybred car. Nice going B of A.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
Laurence, now that you have seen the movie, what are you doing now to change the path we are on, and what changes are you planning to make in the future?
Good question. Part of my motivation to get the whole house fan was to reduce my use of air conditioning, which uses a lot more energy. Now that DW is home with our daughter, we are racking up a lot less mileage. I drive the smallest engine volvo to work, but I admit, our other car is an SUV (Jeep G. Cherokee). I've PM'ed with Nords a bit, I don't think we'll be doing the PV solar system yet, I'm going to start simple with insulation and changing out the light bulbs as they expire with the high efficiency ones and next year when I switch back to my old department I should be able to car pool again (I did for several years with a neighbor, but my hours have gotten crazy with the new job).

The movie mentioned asking the energy company if you can purchase "green" energy, how does that work? Is it a real deal, I guess I'm asking.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Someone who saw the movie: Did it mention that global warming is caused by overpopulation?
Actually, it made the case that overpopulation is not the problem, that while the U.S. is only 5% of the Global population, it produces over 30% of the greenhouse gas emmisions.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Good point. However, the population of the US has increased at least 50% in my lifetime, so that's gotta have some impact. And if there were 3 billion people on the planet instead of 6 billion, the problem would have to be less severe.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #54

This year we had a 30 megawatt wind farm come online. It's on the Ukumehame ridge near Maalaea. Last month Shell announced a 40 megawatt wind farm in Ulupalakua which is above Wailea/Makena. This one will use pumped hydo storage (they say the wind blows mostly at night). Wind power will generate 20% of Maui's electricity by 2008. These farms sell electricity to Maui Electric for .08/kwh. They pay .13 for diesel.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I say if you are serious about 'global warming', then change your own behaviors.* Reduce your own impact on the earth- walk the walk.* * *Limousine liberals like* Al Gore and Laurie David are flying around in a private jets that are burning thousands of tons of fuel and are condemning people with families for driving SUV's!* That is not my idea of 'walking the walk'. In fact, it stinks of hypocrisy.*

Avocado...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

And a hearty Harvest Gold?!?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #57

It looks like more bogus alarmism in the vein of Global Cooling, shortages of coal, gold, zinc, etc., etc. To the extent that it poses a real threat to our future -- with an impact significant enough to counterbalance the billions of dollars and countless lives it would cost in lost and diverted economic productivity, etc., in order to correct the problem -- I don't see that as realistic until at least several decades from now, by which point technological advances (and other human advances) will make the whole issue seem like a mind-bogglingly ridiculous waste of time.

Also, Hillary Clinton loves the bush. (Or not...)
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Avocado...
sorry ,I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I do like advocado though, and other veggies..... :P
Old 07-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure you do.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NM