Movie reviews

uncledrz

Full time employment: Posting here.
Recently saw two movies, both worth seeing.

The World's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins. New Zealander and his Indian motorcycle makes it to the salt flats in Utah to try at the speed record.

Venus with Peter O'Toole. Old actor living his last days.

Both films have an underlying theme that life is good, meant to be lived all the way through and that challanges/living never ceases.

Both optomistic in their own way.

Neither violent or offensive.

Anyone else have other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks... I will check them out.

I always like a good zombie movies - Stay away from "28 weeks later" no good at all.

You guys are so sophisticated. I have never heard of any of these movies, except Shaun of the Dead. :p

Oh, and if you'd like a politically-oriented documentary, rent Why We Fight. It was quite interesting.

Martha said:
You guys are so sophisticated. I have never heard of any of these movies, except Shaun of the Dead. :p

Well I like De Niro and Matt Damon. So it caught my eye.

Did anyone watch the original (first) Lonesome Dove Mini-series? It was one of the best westerns I have seen. A real surprise for a TV movie.

HFWR said:
Somewhat old, but "The Illusionist" was good.

If you like "The Illusionist" you might like "The Prestige", as well.

I can also recommend "Napoleon Dynamite", as above, and "Babble" as well, from my recently purchased DVD library additions. "Babble" is a serious intense dramatic movie, and while the story is not genius, the execution and characters made it worthwhile.

Finally, I bought "Idiocracy", recommended by someone at work. I thought this would be a shoo-in, based on how well I like "Office Space" and "King of the Hill", but while it was worth watching once, it was not that great. Rent, don't buy this one.

If you haven't seen "The Departed" yet, do so.

DRiP Guy said:
Finally, I bought "Idiocracy", recommended by someone at work. I thought this would be a shoo-in, based on how well I like "Office Space" and "King of the Hill", but while it was worth watching once, it was not that great. Rent, don't buy this one.

We just rented (new Netflix account) Idiocracy, too. It was OK and had some humorous parts but I got tired of the stupid-stuff-for-stupidity's-sake pretty quickly.

Mike D.

Secondhand Lions.

Worth the watch just to see how they handle people trying to help them invest their money...

The bar fight scene is hilarious, too. Sort of like Gunney Highway in "Heartbreak Ridge"... :bat:

Borat? I thought it was pretty darn funny. Not as funny as "Da Ali G Show", also starring Sacha Baron Cohen. But funny. Along the lines of Napoleon Dynamite (which I call "stupid funny").

Last King of Scotland...felt like we were 'there'

Reign Over Me...BF can't stand "Adam Sandler movies"...this was not one of those, despite the fact he was one of the main characters.
Nice perspective that those not personally affected even think about.

chinaco said:
Did anyone watch the original (first) Lonesome Dove Mini-series? It was one of the best westerns I have seen. A real surprise for a TV movie.

Yes, I loved it. Even went out and read it and another Larry McCurraty (sp) despite not being a huge western fan. Netflix delivered Broken Trails, also staring Duvall not as good but worth a look.

Shaun of the Dead is hilarious.

I just say their new movie - Hot Fuzz. It was very funny also.

Hmmm...have I seen anything else recently? Oh, yes, The Queen and The Prestige. I liked both, but it depends on your taste.

Karen

I liked Shaun of the dead, but had to watch it in three separate chunks because I was becoming sillied out.

I have the same problem with most british humor, and also Reno 911. Which as far as I know has nothing to do with the british.

Fireup2025 said:
BF can't stand "Adam Sandler movies"...this was not one of those, despite the fact he was one of the main characters.

I also only like Sandler in small doses (like a once per year -- and once ONLY dang it -- obligatory listen to the Turkey song), but I saw a bit of him him briefly in an apparently serious movie as a guy with some sort of OCD situation... I always meant to look up the movie to see what it was, since I did not catch it all. But then figured it might be a real downer like when Robin Williams played the photomat guy. I rented that one on a weekend for me and the GF at the time based on some input from work saying it was 'an amazing dramatic performance'. Amazingly unpleasant waste of my time, is more like it. I don't always have to find characters likable to enjoy a movie, but at the same time, I don't need to get a 3 hr inside look at a weirded out perv. Why do I need to experience that?

Anyway, am looking forward to "King of Scotland" - I think Forest Whitaker has been great in everything I've seen him in from Color of Money and Platoon to Ridgemont High.

He often shows an odd combo of vulnerability and being sinister at the same time... sort of a tamer Garey Bussey... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom