Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Moviepass from Costco
Old 12-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 340
Moviepass from Costco

Has anyone ever used the MoviePass system available through Costco? If so do you have to pay a monthly fee of around $10 per month? I thought when you purchased it from Costco the $10 is not charged monthly from your credit card.

I received a subscription as a Christmas present and was wondering how it's activated without having my credit card charged every month.
__________________

PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,494
I have a MoviePass subscription but it is monthly not annual. The way ours works is we had to wait to open accounts online and get debit cards sent to us through snail mail. Then we downloaded the MoviePass app to the smart phones. Now when we want to see a movie we drive to the the theater and sign up for a movie from the car in the parking lot or any place else within 100 yards of the theater on our smart phones using the MoviePass app. Then at the box office we give them the MoviePass debit card and it gets swiped the for tickets.

The Costco annual instructions are here:

Costco members sign up through the Costco.com website (www.costco.com). Upon successful enrollment, you will be sent a promo code for MoviePass and Fandor. Next, you enroll on the MoviePass site (www.moviepass.com/costco) and Fandor site (www.fandor.com/promo/costco2017) and use the promo code. Your credit card is required for renewal at end of the one year term. By using the promo code provided by Costco, you will not be charged again until the one year term expires.
Please note that every MoviePass account must have its own individual iPhone/Android in order to use the service. Sharing a phone will result in redemption issues.


https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-...-do-I-sign-up-

Enjoy! I really like our MoviePasses.
__________________

__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 340
What is the cost of renewal after a year? Will I have to pay a monthly fee during the first year?
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,367
We just purchased the $89.99 package from Costco. The card just arrived last night so we haven't had a chance to use it yet. It seems like a great deal as we would normally never go to the movies since it's become so expensive and there is already so much to watch on Netflix. I'll be curious to see how much we actually use it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
What is the cost of renewal after a year? Will I have to pay a monthly fee during the first year?
We pay $9.95 a month each, though the annual plans are a bit cheaper. We signed up once before on a Groupon special, then cancelled, as the price was higher than $9.95 a month back then. MoviePass did cancel with no issues as requested and no charges to our card after the Groupon deal ended.

We used our passes a couple of times the first month. For December not so much because of the holidays / family events plus we have some live event kinds of subscriptions as well that have had an abundance of holiday and other event choices this month. I bought our MoviePasses after we went to a mediocre meal that was $20 even after a Groupon discount and thought, hey we could be seeing up to 31 movies this month for the same price. So I think I will keep the subscription for the year because our breakeven is about one movie a month compared to a Costco individual movie ticket ($8.50).

I was hesitant to buy the annual subscription as the MoviePass business model seems a bit dodgy long term, but I do trust Costco, so maybe we will switch over to the Costco plans, too.

If you like deals like this the U.C. Berkeley Garden annual membership is $150 for two and they are in the ROAM, NARM and AHS reciprocal programs, so for that one annual price many of the gardens and museums in the U.S. have free entry for the year.
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
If you like deals like this the U.C. Berkeley Garden annual membership is $150 for two and they are in the ROAM, NARM and AHS reciprocal programs, so for that one annual price many of the gardens and museums in the U.S. have free entry for the year.
You can also buy a much cheaper annual membership to one of the hundreds of other gardens and museums in these networks. For example the NC Arboretum in Asheville NC charges $70/yr for a household and gets you in all the AHS reciprocal programs in the US.

We did this one year for the NC Aquariums just to save a few bucks to get a year membership to visit our local zoo (it was $65/household IIRC, probably a few bucks more now).
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (6, 12, and 13).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You can also buy a much cheaper annual membership to one of the hundreds of other gardens and museums in these networks. For example the NC Arboretum in Asheville NC charges $70/yr for a household and gets you in all the AHS reciprocal programs in the US.

We did this one year for the NC Aquariums just to save a few bucks to get a year membership to visit our local zoo (it was $65/household IIRC, probably a few bucks more now).
The individual memberships are cheaper, but they usually just have one reciprocal membership. The Berkeley Garden pass has the 3 programs, so in the past it was the best deal I've found for the money, plus we like supporting a local to us nonprofit and the cost is tax deductible. I also get a Chabot Space and Science Museum membership every year for the ASTC program.

Added:

The Berkeley Garden's membership page notes the AHS has 270 gardens nationwide and the ROAM + NARM musuem memberships have 670 museums in the U.S. and Canada.
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
The individual memberships are cheaper, but they usually just have one reciprocal membership. The Berkeley Garden pass has the 3 programs, so in the past it was the best deal I've found for the money, plus we like supporting a local to us nonprofit and the cost is tax deductible. I also get a Chabot Space and Science Museum membership every year for the ASTC program.

Added:

The Berkeley Garden's membership page notes the AHS has 270 gardens nationwide and the ROAM + NARM musuem memberships have 670 museums in the U.S. and Canada.


I’m really curious about the seat filler programs. DH and I love live theatre and concerts but we are admittedly “seat snobs.” We like sitting together and like sitting fairly close to center and the stage, and usually pay dearly for the privilege.

With the seat filler programs, do you get good seats, and are you able to sit together? Any way to try this to see what we can get in our local area?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:22 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I’m really curious about the seat filler programs. DH and I love live theatre and concerts but we are admittedly “seat snobs.” We like sitting together and like sitting fairly close to center and the stage, and usually pay dearly for the privilege.

With the seat filler programs, do you get good seats, and are you able to sit together? Any way to try this to see what we can get in our local area?
For events with assigned seats the seats are together but the location is pretty random. We've never really had any bad seats that I can think of but they aren't always orchestra section. Some events have open seating and some have no assigned seats anyway like wine tastings, parties and night clubs with DJs and dancing. Most of my ticket lists are pretty local but there is one I've been considering that also has events in other major cities though this one is only for music:

https://www.jukely.com/

There usually aren't big name arena type tickets but usually local and regional bands playing at smaller venues and clubs.
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I have a MoviePass subscription but it is monthly not annual. The way ours works is we had to wait to open accounts online and get debit cards sent to us through snail mail. Then we downloaded the MoviePass app to the smart phones. Now when we want to see a movie we drive to the the theater and sign up for a movie from the car in the parking lot or any place else within 100 yards of the theater on our smart phones using the MoviePass app. Then at the box office we give them the MoviePass debit card and it gets swiped the for tickets.

The Costco annual instructions are here:

Costco members sign up through the Costco.com website (www.costco.com). Upon successful enrollment, you will be sent a promo code for MoviePass and Fandor. Next, you enroll on the MoviePass site (www.moviepass.com/costco) and Fandor site (www.fandor.com/promo/costco2017) and use the promo code. Your credit card is required for renewal at end of the one year term. By using the promo code provided by Costco, you will not be charged again until the one year term expires.
Please note that every MoviePass account must have its own individual iPhone/Android in order to use the service. Sharing a phone will result in redemption issues.


https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-...-do-I-sign-up-

Enjoy! I really like our MoviePasses.
Is there any reason I couldn't hand my debit card to my teenager and let them see a movie?
king smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
For events with assigned seats the seats are together but the location is pretty random. We've never really had any bad seats that I can think of but they aren't always orchestra section. Some events have open seating and some have no assigned seats anyway like wine tastings, parties and night clubs with DJs and dancing. Most of my ticket lists are pretty local but there is one I've been considering that also has events in other major cities though this one is only for music:

https://www.jukely.com/

There usually aren't big name arena type tickets but usually local and regional bands playing at smaller venues and clubs.


Thanks for this info! I will have to look into this.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by king smoothie View Post
Is there any reason I couldn't hand my debit card to my teenager and let them see a movie?
Your conscience?
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 216
does this mean every user must have a smart phone?
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
does this mean every user must have a smart phone?
Yes, in the excerpt above they state, "Please note that every MoviePass account must have its own individual iPhone/Android in order to use the service. Sharing a phone will result in redemption issues."
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 216
That stinks. Hubby doesn't have a smart phone and I know a lot of people that don't.
__________________

CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone tried MoviePass Ready Life after FIRE 45 08-30-2018 04:17 PM
Dubliner Irish Cheese - From Costco............... Cut-Throat Other topics 3 06-22-2006 04:44 PM
Costco's in the fine wine business... cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 9 03-16-2006 09:00 AM
Financial Advisors at COSTCO! Brat FIRE and Money 16 09-26-2005 06:21 PM
Costco and the forever warranty Dogcliff Life after FIRE 5 03-26-2004 07:38 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.