Moviepass from Costco

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone ever used the MoviePass system available through Costco? If so do you have to pay a monthly fee of around $10 per month? I thought when you purchased it from Costco the $10 is not charged monthly from your credit card.

I received a subscription as a Christmas present and was wondering how it's activated without having my credit card charged every month.

I have a MoviePass subscription but it is monthly not annual. The way ours works is we had to wait to open accounts online and get debit cards sent to us through snail mail. Then we downloaded the MoviePass app to the smart phones. Now when we want to see a movie we drive to the the theater and sign up for a movie from the car in the parking lot or any place else within 100 yards of the theater on our smart phones using the MoviePass app. Then at the box office we give them the MoviePass debit card and it gets swiped the for tickets.

The Costco annual instructions are here:

Costco members sign up through the Costco.com website (www.costco.com). Upon successful enrollment, you will be sent a promo code for MoviePass and Fandor. Next, you enroll on the MoviePass site (www.moviepass.com/costco) and Fandor site (www.fandor.com/promo/costco2017) and use the promo code. Your credit card is required for renewal at end of the one year term. By using the promo code provided by Costco, you will not be charged again until the one year term expires.
Please note that every MoviePass account must have its own individual iPhone/Android in order to use the service. Sharing a phone will result in redemption issues.

https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003385511-How-do-I-sign-up-

Enjoy! I really like our MoviePasses.

Last edited:
What is the cost of renewal after a year? Will I have to pay a monthly fee during the first year?

We just purchased the $89.99 package from Costco. The card just arrived last night so we haven't had a chance to use it yet. It seems like a great deal as we would normally never go to the movies since it's become so expensive and there is already so much to watch on Netflix. I'll be curious to see how much we actually use it.

What is the cost of renewal after a year? Will I have to pay a monthly fee during the first year?

We pay $9.95 a month each, though the annual plans are a bit cheaper. We signed up once before on a Groupon special, then cancelled, as the price was higher than $9.95 a month back then. MoviePass did cancel with no issues as requested and no charges to our card after the Groupon deal ended.

We used our passes a couple of times the first month. For December not so much because of the holidays / family events plus we have some live event kinds of subscriptions as well that have had an abundance of holiday and other event choices this month. I bought our MoviePasses after we went to a mediocre meal that was $20 even after a Groupon discount and thought, hey we could be seeing up to 31 movies this month for the same price. So I think I will keep the subscription for the year because our breakeven is about one movie a month compared to a Costco individual movie ticket ($8.50).

I was hesitant to buy the annual subscription as the MoviePass business model seems a bit dodgy long term, but I do trust Costco, so maybe we will switch over to the Costco plans, too.

If you like deals like this the U.C. Berkeley Garden annual membership is $150 for two and they are in the ROAM, NARM and AHS reciprocal programs, so for that one annual price many of the gardens and museums in the U.S. have free entry for the year.

Last edited:
If you like deals like this the U.C. Berkeley Garden annual membership is $150 for two and they are in the ROAM, NARM and AHS reciprocal programs, so for that one annual price many of the gardens and museums in the U.S. have free entry for the year.

You can also buy a much cheaper annual membership to one of the hundreds of other gardens and museums in these networks. For example the NC Arboretum in Asheville NC charges $70/yr for a household and gets you in all the AHS reciprocal programs in the US.

We did this one year for the NC Aquariums just to save a few bucks to get a year membership to visit our local zoo (it was $65/household IIRC, probably a few bucks more now).

You can also buy a much cheaper annual membership to one of the hundreds of other gardens and museums in these networks. For example the NC Arboretum in Asheville NC charges $70/yr for a household and gets you in all the AHS reciprocal programs in the US.

We did this one year for the NC Aquariums just to save a few bucks to get a year membership to visit our local zoo (it was $65/household IIRC, probably a few bucks more now).

The individual memberships are cheaper, but they usually just have one reciprocal membership. The Berkeley Garden pass has the 3 programs, so in the past it was the best deal I've found for the money, plus we like supporting a local to us nonprofit and the cost is tax deductible. I also get a Chabot Space and Science Museum membership every year for the ASTC program.

Added:

The Berkeley Garden's membership page notes the AHS has 270 gardens nationwide and the ROAM + NARM musuem memberships have 670 museums in the U.S. and Canada.

Last edited:
The individual memberships are cheaper, but they usually just have one reciprocal membership. The Berkeley Garden pass has the 3 programs, so in the past it was the best deal I've found for the money, plus we like supporting a local to us nonprofit and the cost is tax deductible. I also get a Chabot Space and Science Museum membership every year for the ASTC program.

Added:

The Berkeley Garden's membership page notes the AHS has 270 gardens nationwide and the ROAM + NARM musuem memberships have 670 museums in the U.S. and Canada.

I’m really curious about the seat filler programs. DH and I love live theatre and concerts but we are admittedly “seat snobs.” We like sitting together and like sitting fairly close to center and the stage, and usually pay dearly for the privilege.

With the seat filler programs, do you get good seats, and are you able to sit together? Any way to try this to see what we can get in our local area?

I’m really curious about the seat filler programs. DH and I love live theatre and concerts but we are admittedly “seat snobs.” We like sitting together and like sitting fairly close to center and the stage, and usually pay dearly for the privilege.

With the seat filler programs, do you get good seats, and are you able to sit together? Any way to try this to see what we can get in our local area?

For events with assigned seats the seats are together but the location is pretty random. We've never really had any bad seats that I can think of but they aren't always orchestra section. Some events have open seating and some have no assigned seats anyway like wine tastings, parties and night clubs with DJs and dancing. Most of my ticket lists are pretty local but there is one I've been considering that also has events in other major cities though this one is only for music:

https://www.jukely.com/

There usually aren't big name arena type tickets but usually local and regional bands playing at smaller venues and clubs.

Last edited:
I have a MoviePass subscription but it is monthly not annual. The way ours works is we had to wait to open accounts online and get debit cards sent to us through snail mail. Then we downloaded the MoviePass app to the smart phones. Now when we want to see a movie we drive to the the theater and sign up for a movie from the car in the parking lot or any place else within 100 yards of the theater on our smart phones using the MoviePass app. Then at the box office we give them the MoviePass debit card and it gets swiped the for tickets.

The Costco annual instructions are here:

Costco members sign up through the Costco.com website (www.costco.com). Upon successful enrollment, you will be sent a promo code for MoviePass and Fandor. Next, you enroll on the MoviePass site (www.moviepass.com/costco) and Fandor site (www.fandor.com/promo/costco2017) and use the promo code. Your credit card is required for renewal at end of the one year term. By using the promo code provided by Costco, you will not be charged again until the one year term expires.
Please note that every MoviePass account must have its own individual iPhone/Android in order to use the service. Sharing a phone will result in redemption issues.

https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003385511-How-do-I-sign-up-

Enjoy! I really like our MoviePasses.

Is there any reason I couldn't hand my debit card to my teenager and let them see a movie?

For events with assigned seats the seats are together but the location is pretty random. We've never really had any bad seats that I can think of but they aren't always orchestra section. Some events have open seating and some have no assigned seats anyway like wine tastings, parties and night clubs with DJs and dancing. Most of my ticket lists are pretty local but there is one I've been considering that also has events in other major cities though this one is only for music:

https://www.jukely.com/

There usually aren't big name arena type tickets but usually local and regional bands playing at smaller venues and clubs.

Thanks for this info! I will have to look into this.

does this mean every user must have a smart phone?

Yes, in the excerpt above they state, "Please note that every MoviePass account must have its own individual iPhone/Android in order to use the service. Sharing a phone will result in redemption issues."

That stinks. Hubby doesn't have a smart phone and I know a lot of people that don't. :(

Back
Top Bottom