Movies and Entertainment Costs?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
We don't do "Pay" entertainment any longer. This is a sincere question that DW and I have wondered about for years. If you have time, maybe you could fill in on some of these questions.

How much does it cost to go to a movie?
A Rock Concert?
Football Game?
Baseball Game?
Basketball Game?
Broadway type play?
Symphony Orchestra?
Nascar?

Go alone?, with spouse/friend?, with children?
other costs... popcorn, coffee etc?
Daytime, night time?
How often do you go?

From the Ticket booth at our local theatre. (most shows)
Adult $7.75 Senior $7.25
Matinee at 4PM, $1 less.

For all the rest, we're in the dark.

Was shocked to hear of neighbor going to Cirque de Soliel and paying $65 for a so-so seat?

We know that prices differ, both for type of entertainment, and for quality, but haven't a clue as to current prices,

Most of the event type things you have listed would be $75-$250 (or more) a head (assuming your are referring to pro sports events - but plenty of good college action is available for a lot less). $65 for Cirque sounds pretty reasonable.

Our local movie theater is very affordable - about $4 - but others in the area are $7-$10.

I recall as my grandmother got older she was outraged at the prices of many things, in part because her reference point was 30 years prior.

Outback Bowl was $85/ticket (x4); absolutely fabulous experience; even though Michigan lost.

We don't do "Pay" entertainment any longer. This is a sincere question that DW and I have wondered about for years. If you have time, maybe you could fill in on some of these questions.

How much does it cost to go to a movie?
A Rock Concert?
Football Game?
Baseball Game?
Basketball Game?
Broadway type play?
Symphony Orchestra?
Nascar?

Go alone?, with spouse/friend?, with children?
other costs... popcorn, coffee etc?
Daytime, night time?
How often do you go?,

We don't go to any of these except an occasional movie. There are so many other events and activities that we enjoy and that happen to be less expensive.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it... :)
You ain't just a whistlin' Dixie....

Outback Bowl was $85/ticket (x4); absolutely fabulous experience; even though Michigan lost.

OMG... had no idea of that price... That would pay for the new computer I'm looking at.!:eek:

Most of the event type things you have listed would be $75-$250 (or more) a head

aaarrrgh! We live in a different world.

I mean REALLY! Who are the people who fill the stadiums and coliseums? Where do hundreds of thousands .... No hundreds of millions of people get the money to go to these places?

Have come to the conclusion that we live in a cave and have lost touch with reality. We were shocked... outraged... unbelieving when we had to pay $2 to get into a Florida park.

So, no kidding!... Do average families actually spend these kind of $$$ or are things like concerts or races or games a once a year thing?

Sheesh...and I was thinking that I would treat DW to a movie $14.50 for 2, plus $3.95 for the popcorn bucket, and $3.50 for 3 coffees. Instead, we'll just wait a few years and see Argo on Netflix.

Yowee!... just imagine.... $380 each to watch a Bulls Game... and that doesn't include a few beers, and parking. OMG... OMG

Now I'm getting worried... can we go forward? And the Walmart Greeter jobs have been eliminated!:(

...crawls back into cave

I'm with you. I cannot understand why entertainers -which is what professional athletes are- get the kind of absurd paydays they do, which then translates into the obscene ticket prices we see. Oh wait, people buy those tickets, don't they. I guess I do understand.

Yowee!... just imagine.... $380 each to watch a Bulls Game... and that doesn't include a few beers, and parking. OMG... OMG

Now I'm getting worried... can we go forward? And the Walmart Greeter jobs have been eliminated!:(

...crawls back into cave
Don't forget the service charge.

I don't know the numbers, but a lot of these tickets are bought by businesses and given to their clients. I assume they are business write-offs for tax purposes. I know of several people, who have been given college football tickets and attendance at tailgate parties, professional football tickets (Steelers), Penguin tickets, Masters golf tickets, cruises and free furniture. I am just a regular person, so I am sure that this goes on at much higher levels. I think that the little guy is being forced slowly but surely out of a lot of these things. It is not enough to buy your tickets to college football, but now your seats are dependent on how much money you donate to the university.

Dreamer said:
I don't know the numbers, but a lot of these tickets are bought by businesses and given to their clients. I assume they are business write-offs for tax purposes. I know of several people, who have been given college football tickets and attendance at tailgate parties, professional football tickets (Steelers), Penguin tickets, Masters golf tickets, cruises and free furniture. I am just a regular person, so I am sure that this goes on at much higher levels. I think that the little guy is being forced slowly but surely out of a lot of these things. It is not enough to buy your tickets to college football, but now your seats are dependent on how much money you donate to the university.

Aww, but the great equalizer in life is my massive HD TV screen. What an invention! I used to be a season ticket holder to the Blues hockey and attended many baseball and football games. But now I only attend a few times a year for the experience, as I really truly enjoy watching the games on my couch better than in person. Remember back in the day when or if you ever tried to watch a hockey game on tv before HD? It was an awesome experience if you didn't care to ever know where the puck was at. Concerning concerts, I spent almost $200 for 2 nosebleeds to see Paul McCartney a couple months ago. I felt it was money well spent, but I wouldn't want to do it often that's for sure.

We do movies , comedy clubs & an occasional show . Our movie theater costs $2.00 and popcorn is about $3.00 with a soda . Comedy Club costs $8.00 - $12.00 with a two drink minimum. We have second row tickets next week for Capital Steps for $ 90.00. We enjoy these things .We did go to a baseball spring training game two years ago . The tickets were worth it but the hot dogs & beer were outrageous !

I asked DH the other day how long it had been since we had seen a movie at a theater...he said it had been over ten years. He couldn't remember the title of the movie, but he did remember we both griped at the cost of the tickets.

We've been to many concerts over the years and loved them; however the thought of fighting traffic, full parking lots, etc makes my head hurt.

Gawd....my 'tude makes me feel old.

So, no kidding!... Do average families actually spend these kind of $$$ or are things like concerts or races or games a once a year thing?

That and other spending on Bling-Bling is why most live paycheck to paycheck and are in debt to their eyeballs.

I'm with you. I cannot understand why entertainers -which is what professional athletes are- get the kind of absurd paydays they do, which then translates into the obscene ticket prices we see. Oh wait, people buy those tickets, don't they. I guess I do understand.

I'm not sure how much ticket prices contribute for athletes, I would guess a lot comes from TV contracts and advertising.

We have upped our entertainment spending this year. It's part of our "have more fun and stop working ourselves into an early grave" plan.

Costco sells discount movie tickets. Runs about $8 per head instead of $11. We also rent very new releases through our Xbox and Amazon for about $5 a pop. The latter can be more fun because you can be more comfy in your own home. We see a movie monthly-ish.

Last year we got Season passes to Roller Derby for a couple hundred bucks, which was a hoot.

Our big splurge this year was about a $1,200 for subscriptions to two local theaters. We're seeing 12 musicals this year (Just saw The Book of Mormon) with friends. About one per month. It's been great fun, but probably won't do it again. Too expensive for an ongoing expense.

We are seeing our first Cirque show next month, tix were 70ish each.

So yeah, we're doing our part to keep the economy going. :)

SIS

Because I'm in a savings mode, I rarely if ever do any of these except movies. Friends and I will see films perhaps twice/month, usually the discounted early show (@$6.50) followed by dinner. Full price movies here are upwards to $11.00.

Not sure what the Outback Bowl is so I would not attend even if it was free :)

Not being a sports fan, I am not sure I would pay $85 / ticket, even for the SuperBowl.:cool:
And why pay for something you can watch live on TV anyway ?

Last edited:
I mean REALLY! Who are the people who fill the stadiums and coliseums? Where do hundreds of thousands .... No hundreds of millions of people get the money to go to these places?
I suspect that they're the people who will have saved about $50k for retirement 30 years from now. :)

Have come to the conclusion that we live in a cave and have lost touch with reality. We were shocked... outraged... unbelieving when we had to pay $2 to get into a Florida park. So, no kidding!... Do average families actually spend these kind of $$$ or are things like concerts or races or games a once a year thing?
We have one extravagance that we regularly engage in, and that's our annual vacation. We'll spend up to $150 a day on admissions, that's it. I see a big difference between a once a year thing and the regular weekly expenses that others incur.

Sheesh...and I was thinking that I would treat DW to a movie $14.50 for 2, plus $3.95 for the popcorn bucket, and $3.50 for 3 coffees. Instead, we'll just wait a few years and see Argo on Netflix.
I think we have to draw a distinction with regard to certain things. From what they tell me, going to a football game is about the being there. The game is secondary. It is about the tailgating, the drinking of beer and eating of hot dogs, etc. Painting of face, wearing of silly-looking team (from my perspective) uniforms, etc. That's a unique experience (I suppose) that is worth what those people pay for it.

Watching the game for the sake of seeing the game - well - there are better ways imho.

And this extends to a lot of things, and my saying so will reveal my bias: I'm a very big proponent of television. Broadway musicals? I enjoy Broadway musicals best when I'm watching them from my easy chair, not cramped into a too-small seat in the second balcony with smelly-man next to me, mumbling to himself throughout the show. Motion pictures? Again, television wins, on the strength of (among many other things) the pause button, for use when I need to go to the rest room during the movie. Concerts? Palladia is an incredible television network. And so on.

But the point here is about money. Putting aside all the ways that all these (otherwise very expensive) entertainments are qualitatively better on television than "in person", they are also far better values on television than "in person". And that's factoring in the price of a big screen television, and DD5.1 surround sound system, and cable service to keep the entertainment flowing through the television (well, the price over and above what we would have paid anyway, if we were enjoying these entertainments "in person" instead). My contention is that television is a wonderful tool for economizing, and simplifying. In one device, if you open your mind to appreciating entertainment delivered that way as we have, you can greatly reduce, and reduce the complexity, of entertaining yourself and your family.

Oh, and incidentally: They have dramatic and comedic series on television, too.

DW and I ride bikes downtown to movies once or twice a month at $9.50 a pop or something like that. We occasionally go to small theater productions (probably in the $75 ea range). We very occasionally go to concerts in the $100-200 range. And once in a long while we go to a Broadway show, the last being Book of Mormon for a little over $200 ea. We went to dinner at the Inn at Little Washington Monday night for DW's 60th birthday at $450. That is an even greater rarity. I also occasionally golf at inexpensive (relatively) public courses. I can't see forking over $500 for Pebble Beach or its ilk. But lots of people build entire vacations and even life styles around playing such courses.

On the other hand, I check out or download about 100 books a year from the library saving about $1000/year towards all that other stuff.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
We go to the movies about once a month at around $30 including popcorn and soft drink for the two of us. Used to once a week, but now use Netflix/redbox a lot.

Last year went to a white sox game for $35 a ticket. Plus 20 for parking plus 30 for beer/brat. Az dbacks games are about the same, but parking is cheaper. Spring training lawn seats at $8, $5 for parking and 30 for beer/food.

We used to have bulls season tickets (4) at work when Jordan/Pippen were with the bulls. I think they were about $20k a year. We'd bring clients/ friends, and go to dinner. Probably spent an extra $300 a night on food/drink for 4. We let the tickets go after Jordan retired. Haven't been to a game since.

I haven't been to a bears game in 10 years, but have gone to a few Az cardinals games over the past several years at around $75 a ticket. Also went to a colts playoff game for $160, with hotel, dinner, etc.

Used to have the NASCAR 4 race package at Chicago speedway up to 5 years ago. It was around $230 a year per person for the package.

Also used to attend a hockey game or two a year from $50-$100 per ticket, plus parking,food,drink.

Went to an Elton John concert a year or so ago. I think the tickets were $180? each.

We don't do opera, theatre, symphonies, etc. All good times, but we're cutting back on entertainment as we go into retirement.

We go to shows, live performances, and sporting events. Often we invite along our children, and more recently, their children. These things are expensive and demand budget sacrifice elsewhere, which we are happy to do, and hopefully more often in the future.

TV is not an alternative way to see the same event, it is a different category of events. Nothing wrong with it, but comparing the two doesn't make much sense to me. Certainly not a value proposition.

Last edited:
MichaelB said:
We go to shows, live performances, and sporting events. Often we invite along our children, and more recently, their children. These things are expensive and demand budget sacrifice elsewhere, which we are happy to do, and hopefully more often in the future.

TV is not an alternative way to see the same event, it is a different category of events. Nothing wrong with it, but comparing the two doesn't make much sense to me. Certainly not a value proposition.

Concerning sporting events, in my opinion only of course, I would have to disagree. I see it as an alternative/better way to see same event. I get a better viewing and comfort experience, without the hassles of travel from watching the game at home now, since big screens and HD were invented. Now, I must admit, I am all about the game, not the peripherals. But, I will go occasionally just for that, but only at a fraction of what I used to, because it is not as important to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom