Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Long before it became the institution it is today "Night of the Living Dead" was a little known B-movie making its way around America. It wandered over to my little hunk of innocent suburbia in 1970 during the summer between my 4th and 5th grade as the back half of a double feature.

My Mom dutifully dropped off a few friends and me - a bratty gang of 9-10 year olds - at the local theater one late afternoon. And picked up a clutch of wide-eyed terrorized catatonics about 9 that night. That would probably be thought of as child endangerment these days, but free range parenting was much more the norm half a century ago.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Exorcist freaked me out. We saw most of it not too long ago, pretty lame.

Last House on the Left was creepy too. DW rented a copy last year, still kinda of scary. A little bit close to home on some of the whack jobs in the news.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Practically anything with any suspense. Mom delighted in sneaking up behind us during the moment of tension in the show and grabbing us and shouting. I am somewhat amazed that none of us ever wet ourselves when she did so...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Although I was an adult when I saw The Exorcist, that definitely was the scariest movie I have ever seen. I wonder if we could see it in a theater, in the dark, with that theme music pumped up, vs on our home tv sets--I think I would still be scared out of my mind.

I never go to horror movies now but DH does--I'll have to see what he thinks today's scariest movies are.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Long before it became the institution it is today "Night of the Living Dead" was a little known B-movie making its way around America. It wandered over to my little hunk of innocent suburbia in 1970 during the summer between my 4th and 5th grade as the back half of a double feature.

My Mom dutifully dropped off a few friends and me - a bratty gang of 9-10 year olds - at the local theater one late afternoon. And picked up a clutch of wide-eyed terrorized catatonics about 9 that night. That would probably be thought of as child endangerment these days, but free range parenting was much more the norm half a century ago.
I saw that movie at a drive in when I was 13 and it scared the heck out of me. My older sister (she drove) was there so that was a comfort although she got a big kick out of my being so scared and teased me. I can't imagine watching that movie at 9 years of age without parents or older siblings present.

As a younger child, the scariest movies to me were the haunted house type. The SciFi things from out of space were not as appealing or scary.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Wizard of Oz. I found the tornado scene terrifying. (And then, after 25 years of living in NJ, I moved to Tornado Alley at age 50.)
Old 11-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #27

"Attack of the Crab Monsters" (1957). My grandparents had a place near the beach in Port Aransas, TX, and hearing the waves freaked me out because I just knew I was crab bait.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I was in college when it came out, but don't think any movie has ever effected me as strongly and as long as Jaws. Even though I love the beach and swimming and snorkeling and such, I still keep an eye out when I'm playing in the water. It's become part of me.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw War of the Worlds as a kid and had nightmares for weeks. Seeing it recently I laughed....it all looked so funny. The TV antennas on RVs look like the spaceships
Old 11-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

The original Chainsaw Massacre.
People told me I looked a lot like the girl in the movie- the one that ends up at the farmhouse, which of course to my young mind meant it could happen to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #31

I don't remember any movies that scared me, kept me awake, etc. But Old Yeller was the first one that made me cry. I think I was about 7.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #32

"IT" is the scariest movie i've ever seen. Granted I haven't seen a lot of scary movies and I haven't watch "IT" since I was 11 years old in 1990. If you want your kids to be scared of clowns for the rest of their lives then "IT" is your best bet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_(1990_film)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #33

+2 on "The Birds". Scared the bejesus out of me!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #34
Administrator

When I was 4, I got extremely upset during Snow White when the wicked witch went over the cliff as she was being chased by the seven dwarfs.

Apparently I sobbed and screamed and sobbed and said she wasn't THAT bad, and how could they DO that to her, why didn't they save her, how could they live with themselves, and so on.

Understandably, given my overly sensitive nature, my mother would not permit me to see any scary movies after that. Ever.

Needless to say, I have toughened up quite a bit during my 63 years on this earth since that viewing of Snow White.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #35

The Shining - I know I was like 20 or something when this movie came out, but I couldn't watch the full movie for a long, long time since some parts were just too scary to me.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The Wizard of Oz. I found the tornado scene terrifying. (And then, after 25 years of living in NJ, I moved to Tornado Alley at age 50.)
I forgot that, at 4 or 5 the tornado scared the living cr@p out of me.

At 21 DW and moved to the alley. I have a healthy respect for tornadoes, my wife is terrified of the things. She get these scared little girl eyes and then it's time for me to be very patient.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

exorcist..... yes now it seems kinda lame
Old 11-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

The Omen.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

And the d*amned flying monkeys!

I had nightmares about those as a kid.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Did you see this description of that movie?
Quote:
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.
'Wizard of Oz' movie description goes viral | EW.com