Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Showing my total ignorance of children--what changes at 8 to make them less freaked out by some movie stuff? My sister has three kids, and only one is under 8 but I can't really tell much about their anxiety level for that sort of thing.
Kids around 8 and under can't differentiate between fantasy and reality - so they are disturbed by some movies, shows or advertisements...my older is 8 and still dislikes anything creepy, but understands certain things are just people "using their imagination." But the scary stuff is harder for her to put away.

We watch movies w/ the kids almost every friday for family movie nite - most pixar movies are adult friendly. Sound of Music, Sand Lot is a fun movie - any musical is a hit over here. If you have girls, the Ramona and Beezus movie was well done, my older recently finished the book so I let her watch the movie - either way doesn't matter because the movie is not very close to the book. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory both versions are good.

We recently saw Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron a cartoon flick about a wild horse, narrated by Matt Damon - I thought, oh, harmless might be nice, kids like animals. My 5 yr old was so upset when they captured the horse she was crying most of the movie! You never know what will get to them. I reassured her the horse would get free and it did - but kept getting recaptured and she got upset each time! But generally it was a good movie.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hidalgo might be one everyone would like. It's much like the stories Duvall's character would tell in Secondhand Lions. Actually, I don't remember this one being funny at all though.

Young Frankenstein is one I watched as a kid and it's another of my favorites.

If they're teenagers, I'd recommend The Frighteners, with Michael J. Fox. It might be scary for younger kids, and there's a suggestive scene with a dead cowboy ghost and an ancient Egyptian mummy that you may consider inappropriate for a young child.

The Legend of Drunken Master, with Jackie Chan. A pretty good and at times funny story (and many argue his best film), and you get to see some really nifty fight scenes. Shanghai Noon and Around the World In 80 Days are others of his that are also family friendly.

Captain Ron is one I loved watching growing up.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
"Children" is a mighty broad category. What is the intended range of ages for this subversive humor?
Good one!
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to Tame Your Dragon was wonderful! DH, SIL and I took twin 5 year olds to it and everyone agreed it was great.

Kids loved the action, adults really liked the story of the viking kid being a misfit and finding his way via a dragon that no one believes is real.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
Administrator

We spent 1984 in the US. MTV was just getting going. The kids (2, 3 1/2 and 5) used to watch music videos with me in the morning while I got ready for work. This was the golden era for music videos - more artistic than commercial. Michael Jackson, a-ha, Madonna, Herbie Hancock (rock it). We watched many more videos than movies.

By 1990 (next assignment) the music videos had evolved - as had the kids. We still watched them together, they were much more subversive, but now DW didn't think they were appropriate. (Boy George, Van Halen). We did spend more time watching movies - VHS rentals.

The movies they enjoyed and meet Alan's criteria were "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", "The Never Ending Story", "Dark Crystal", "The Secret of NIMH", "Labyrnth" and "Beauty and the Beast".

Who Framed Roger Rabbit had a particularly adult frame in the beginning Baby Huey cartoon.

Agree wholeheartedly with the opinions on Pixar. Those folks are gifted and hardworking.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Someone may want to start a "movies not to watch with the grandkids" thread. The list may be lengthy, but might reveal some movies DH and I want to watch now we're both retired
Old 03-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The young wife and I went to see Finding Nemo. I thought it was very cleverly done.
What I enjoy about the Disney flicks is the "humor for kids" (usually involving body functions) and the "humor for adults" (usually involving body nonfunctions). Over a decade later we still hear from our kid "I never realized that was a joke!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The flying monkeys scared the crap out of me when I was young. I also found the scene where Dorothy is locked in the castle with the hourglass running out to be quite upsetting.
I'm told that I tried watching it several times starting at age four and didn't make it all the way through until I was eight years old.

Disney's "Mulan" film also had a couple scary scenes in the megaplex that were pretty intense for six-year-olds. At home on the small screen they were able to handle it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote