Join Early Retirement Today

Movies to watch with the grandkids
Old 02-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Administrator

Movies to watch with the grandkids

Last night, the young wife and I watched Secondhand Lions, starring Robert Duvall and Michael Caine, who play two elderly brothers retired in Texas after a life of adventure. I quite enjoyed it, and it struck me that it was one of those rare movies that could be enjoyed by both children and adults (albeit on different levels). That got me thinking about what other films might be good for when the grandchildren come over, but not intolerable for their grandparents. In addition to this one, I would say that The Princess Bride and Babe fit the bill. Both are wholesome on the face of it, but filled with subversive humor that the kids won't notice or understand. Anyone else have nominations?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Offhand, Shrek and Wall-E come to mind. The Princess Bride is an all time favorite of mine. I have watched remakes of favorite novels and enjoyed them as an adult: Little Women, Pride and Prejudice, Emma. I also liked Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We recently watched The Wizard of Oz with our kids. It was funnier than I remembered from my childhood viewings, and I quite like Judy Garland's voice. Not what you were going for maybe, but one that fit the description for our family. Also, virtually all the Pixar films are really well done, and enjoyable for the whole family. Cars is my favorite.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To Kill A Mockingbird. Gregory Peck is awesome and what a great story. Plus, it's told from a child's point of view. Just hope kids don't find it too boring since it's in black and white and doesn't have any high tech stuff or special effects.

A few others: The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Secret Garden, Heidi (great intro to Shirley Temple), and the Yearling.

Oh, I second the suggestion of Wall-e
Old 02-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The Rainbow Tribe is a movie I've found to be family friendly for both the young and old. It was just released on DVD on February 1 and stars David James Elliott who is best known as 'Harm' from JAG. He plays Morgan Roberts, a middle aged adult in crisis, who reunites with his best friend when he returns to the summer camp of his youth. His troubles seem to magnify when he is joined by a rag-tag group of 10 year old campers. Through their struggles they collectively overcome their personal problems and exchange them for one of the best summers of their lives. I laughed and cried. It has a sweet ending.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
To Kill A Mockingbird. Gregory Peck is awesome and what a great story. Plus, it's told from a child's point of view. Just hope kids don't find it too boring since it's in black and white and doesn't have any high tech stuff or special effects.

A few others: The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Secret Garden, Heidi (great intro to Shirley Temple), and the Yearling.

Oh, I second the suggestion of Wall-e
I loved reading The Yearling and remember the movie version also. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings was one of my favorite authors as a teen-ager. I enjoyed her Cross Creek and her Cross Creek Cookbook. She really imparts the essence of old rural Florida as seen through the eyes of a transplant to the state in the early part of the 20th century.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We all loved the movie "Up."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a child, I loved "Calamity Jane" with Doris Day...I shared it with my 9 year old niece, and we had a great time.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #9

all the pixar movies are nice both for aduts and children : Pixar Feature Films

Wall-E is fantastic
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
We all loved the movie "Up."
+1, I was just going to add this one, but RIT beat me to it. "Up" is very cute IMO...and entirely suitable for any age.

An oldie, but still enjoyable I'd think, E.T.

And DW's favorite animated movie, Monsters Inc.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post

Wall-E is fantastic

I agree . The Pixar movies are great !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Secondhand Lions was one that my boss (with three kids) recommended to us and we absolutely LOVED it. I still marvel at how good (and how funny) it was and still be appropriate for kids.

I don't usually go in for kid movies, but with my border collies, of course I had to see Babe. We didn't care for the Princess Bride as much. Another one, although not probably for young kids because of the theme, was Finding Neverland. I found it to be very good.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Secondhand Lions was excellent!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I loved reading The Yearling and remember the movie version also.
The Yearling makes me cry like a baby to this day. Loved the book and the movie too. So beautiful, so sad, and so amazing.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post

Wall-E is fantastic
The young wife and I went to see Finding Nemo. I thought it was very cleverly done.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
We recently watched The Wizard of Oz with our kids. It was funnier than I remembered from my childhood viewings, and I quite like Judy Garland's voice. Not what you were going for maybe, but one that fit the description for our family.
The flying monkeys scared the crap out of me when I was young. I also found the scene where Dorothy is locked in the castle with the hourglass running out to be quite upsetting.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Secondhand Lions is one of my all time favoriates!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
Administrator

My kids favorite movie when he was really little was the original Brave Little Toaster. It's still fun to watch with the under 8 crowd but avoid the sequels.

Holes was really good and had some amazingly unpleasant adults for kids to hate. Not for the under 8 crowd....
Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Showing my total ignorance of children--what changes at 8 to make them less freaked out by some movie stuff? My sister has three kids, and only one is under 8 but I can't really tell much about their anxiety level for that sort of thing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #19
Administrator

"Children" is a mighty broad category. What is the intended range of ages for this subversive humor?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #20

Over here in Germany, AFN had a Pixar day yesterday - wow - all great - Monster, Up, The Incredibles and Wall-E - I loved all of the Toy Story movies and I also love Second Hand Lions. Pretty much everythin Pixar has done is of quality. There are very few movies I will re-watch and all of the above are ones I have and will.

Also, good might be Wallace and Gromit movies - great animation with clay and excellent stories - the Wrong Trousers has a penguin who puts on a red glove to look like a rooster - what a hoot. Chicken Run was great, too.