Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What you're possibly missing by not watching more than once are elements that go by quickly. Many movie buffs like to, for example, spot details such as then-unknown actors in extra roles who later become well known. With multiple viewings, buffs can better spot set reuse, or sound effect reuse, such as the "Wilhelm scream" which can be heard in more than 200 films. Sometimes a complex plot becomes more enjoyable because it can be better followed on a subsequent viewing. Or sometimes it's just fun to view certain scenes again. It's a very delayed form of instant replay.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I also enjoy re-watching a movie to see then-unknown actors, but I do not buy DVDs and books any more. A movie is easy to catch on Netflix, Dish, stream it to computer or Google TV. Red Box is everywhere. Books we get from library and sometime as audio books to make a long drive go faster.
So our old books are ether stored in the closet or given away to the library. We can get used books at their 'book corner' for 25c and then give them back. I see is as renting.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #23

Some movies just need to be seen often
Star Wars
Blazing Saddles
Some of the Bond movies.
Seven Samurai
Midway (one of my husband's favorites)

They're good entertainment without requiring concentration. so you can multitask while watching.

Another one that's in our repitoire - Fast Times at Ridgemont High. But that's because I graduated from the high school it was based on, my year. Probably not as funny to folks who didn't go to school with folks like those.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #24

I borrow movies from the library.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've almost worn out our copy of The Blues Brothers. We've been through The God Father series several times too. Oh yeah, Forrest Gump always seems to offer a new perspective with each annual viewing.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Here's the question:
Why do people buy Movies?
It's about replay value, which can have nothing to do with how good a movie is. E.g, The Sting was/is an excellent movie, but once you've seen it, you know what the surprise is, and that's missing from subsequent views. OTOH, some pretty bad movies, E.g. Plan 9 From Outer Space (considered by some to be the worst movie ever made) have enormous replay value and cult followings. Replay value is in the mind and opinion of the beholder, hence as different as taste.

The only movies we've bought have replay value -- for us. Some we watch once a year (like A Christmas Story, Home Alone) and others we watch when the mood strikes -- perhaps several times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
What you're possibly missing by not watching more than once are elements that go by quickly. .... Sometimes a complex plot becomes more enjoyable because it can be better followed on a subsequent viewing. Or sometimes it's just fun to view certain scenes again. ....
+1. Some have intricate plot points (The Big Sleep), some have memorable scripts and/or lines (The Big Lebowski, The Princess Bride), some you can watch a dozen times and spot something that you've never noticed before (again, The Big Lebowski, and most other Coen Bros. movies), and some are just plain fun joy rides (big budget action & SFX movies).

Then again, some people just collect movies like others collect books or comics. Some movies have special significance (the first movies DW & I saw together as kids were M*A*S*H and Patton on a double bill).

Tyro
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #27

Quote:
The only movies we've bought have replay value -- for us. Some we watch once a year (like A Christmas Story, Home Alone) and others we watch when the mood strikes -- perhaps several times a year.
OMG... A Christmas Story...

How could I have forgotten!... Have watched it at least once every year for more than 25 years.

It was my life... in 1943 or 1944... The car had to be my dad's 1938 Oldsmobile... flat tires with at least 20 patches... The house, my brother, the wool snow suits that turned everyone into the Michelin Man... The Red Ryder BB Gun... (Gordon Annon had one, but we couldn't afford it, so I had the plain old Daisy BB gun)... My School... the playground and blackboards... The snarky bullies... yeah, we had them back then, too. The orphan Annie code ring and Little Orphan Annie on the radio at 5:30PM weekdays... I had a Captain Midnight ring (the magic code was a backward alphabet)... Also had a Lone Ranger Atomic Silver Bullet Ring a few years later. No Bunny costume, but a Hopalong Cassidy
cowboy outfit with chaps and a flat rim cowboy hat. (Gordon had a Roy Rogers costume with curved brim hat, and TWO silver cap pistols). And the Department Store with the same Santa and elves... Shartenbergs, downtown.
...and.... hard to believe this, but we had a flagpole in the schoolyard at Fairlawn School... and did the "dog dare" thing.

Sorry for the drift, but what great memories.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #28

I guess my all time favorite "Dances With Wolves". Also, I've seen "Midway" about 20 times.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #29

I don't watch movies again, most of the time. We still have the Disney movies and Mary Kate and Ashley movies from our daughter, and our granddaughter has started watching some of the Disney movies. I do watch some of the Christmas movies again. The only movie that I ever asked for was for Richer or Poorer (the rich people hiding out in Amish country). I watch it every year or two and always enjoy it. It makes me laugh and I love happy endings!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had some DVDs that I considered "rewatchable", but turns out I didn't, so I sold then for pennies at Hallf Price Books, just to declutter...

As for some I like to watch repeated, Blazing Saddles, any of the Bourne series, any of the Monty Python series, Star Trek IV, Woodstock, etc.

There are others over the years that I've watched multiple times, but eventually that urge faded. So, generally, I don't buy many DVDs.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
OMG... A Christmas Story...
FWIW, a sequel -- A Christmas Story 2 -- came out on DVD/BR Oct 30. It went direct to disc, which usually doesn't bode well, so I don't expect it to hold a soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window to the original.

(Yes, I'm aware of, and have seen, the '94 sequel, It Runs in the Family. It has its moments, but not enough to purchase except maybe for die-hard Jean Shepherd fans. YMMV)

Tyro