Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This stuff is hard when you are 25. Harder when you are no longer 25.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

Amen. We just moved 3 vehicles (2 cars and a Harley) and 35 years of stuff from NorCal to SoCal, only 450 miles or so.

We made several trips, and I kept saying "I am getting too old for this."

Make it as easy on yourself as your resources allow.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
We're both over 60; he is not arthritic.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not see "Drive behind rental truck", but you later explained that you did not want to drive that 1,000-mi trip (Dayton to somewhere in mid-Florida?).

I do not know about the cost of the options, but just want to point out that "Tow behind rental truck" as you see RV'ers do it all the time is not a viable option for most cars with automatic transmission, which would be ruined.

All cars with manual transmission or a 4WD transmission with a transfer case can be flat-towed. In any case, the installation of a tow bar as RV'ers have may be up to $1500+ for parts and labor.

Most movers use a car trailer or a dolly, which U-Haul has available. I do not know about the rental cost. The arrangement is cumbersome to drive, and takes a bit of experience to avoid mishaps.
Actually you just get the dolly on which you put the drive wheels for the car. Front wheel drive is actually easier here, since then all you need to do is ensure the emergency brake is off. The back wheels don't care if they are driven by a towbar or by the front wheels, they are just along for the ride.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

A dolly was an option I suggested, and U-Haul rents that.

Still, many people may not have experience driving a 30-ft long moving truck and towing a car behind it. They may get in a tight spot just pulling into a motel or a gas station, try to back up and jack-knife the dolly or even trailer if they have not towed anything before.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Khan, have you discussed this with your DH?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Still, many people may not have experience driving a 30-ft long moving truck and towing a car behind it. They may get in a tight spot just pulling into a motel or a gas station, try to back up and jack-knife the dolly or even trailer if they have not towed anything before.
That's how you get a "memorable story." Nobody wants to complete a long-distance move without gaining a "memorable story."

Another possible source of a "memorable story" is moving truck vs overpass:
Old 06-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Whatever one does, buy the full-coverage doggone insurance.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Do you know anyone you trust on one end or the other who would be willing to drive the car down for you and then fly the other leg? The pod your stuff and fly down.

I suspect after paying them for their time, gas and airfare it might not be too bad compared to other alternatives.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Another possible source of a "memorable story" is moving truck vs overpass:
That low clearance RR overpass is so famous that it has its own website: 11foot8.com

Here is my favorite crash from the website archives:

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

After all those crashes, why haven't they raised the overpass? Wouldn't be nearly as entertaining tho....
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

My RV and the toad behind it is still the longest thing I have driven. After 20K+ miles, I am more comfortable driving it, but still remind myself to be careful. And as one cannot backup with a flat-towed toad, I am careful where I go. Still twice, I got myself in a dead-end that I had to get out, disconnect the towed car so that I could turn around.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #33

Your trip is only a bit over 1000 miles? Just drive the car down. I can do 1000 miles in one long day, driving my truck pulling a car trailer even. Although my normal day when driving long distance is around 600-700 miles easy. I have made numerous trips between norcal and NM (about 1100 miles one way) and regularly do it in day and half. Most times towing a trailer and driving a pickup truck.

Why so against just driving the car down behind the rental truck? Towing a small trailer behind the car is probably not going to work, that car is not designed for towing. If you are trying to get it done cheapest way you can, driving it yourself is the way.

If you do the rental truck, just trailer or dolly the car behind. Just pay attention to the driving and where you are getting into. Dolly can't back up, a trailer can if you know what to do. I would not flat tow, the tow bar hassles are more than the dolly, and if auto trans you can't flat tow.

The ABF U-pack, PODS or similar is a great way to move the house junk. Then drive the car with only your luggage for the trip and maybe a couple boxes if needed. A professional moving co may not move some stuff that is aerosol cans or solvent type stuff, so they pack a special box you get to take as they will not put it in moving van. The issue is if it leaks, not necessarily because of fire or hazardous materials.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Your trip is only a bit over 1000 miles? Just drive the car down. I can do 1000 miles in one long day, driving my truck pulling a car trailer even...
Most people would drive the car behind the rental truck, although I would not do more than 500 mi/day. However, Khan already said she could not do long distances.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:20 AM   #35

Is who moves your possessions a key determinant in the car-move decision? If you are going to pack your stuff up yourselves, and rent a truck, then rent a tow dolly for it and strap the front wheels of the Kia up on it. That truck won't even notice a Kia behind it. If you need to make it a two-day trip, knock off early enough on the first day so you can check out motels/hotels for parking area, one big enough that the whole rig can be parked off to a side with it all still hooked up. This is not an uncommon sight when traveling, people do it. A run inside to the front desk will tell you if they have the space for the night for it.

If you aren't going to do the heavy lifting of household stuff yourselves, having somebody else do it instead, then can look into a car transporter service. Some will come by your house and put it on their multi-car trailer right there. Some will want you to drive it to one of their pickup-points. You could call some with some tentative dates to get some estimates. Its like air travel, the most transports the most often between where people want to go. From Podunk to Podunk, not very often, may take a while to collect a full load anywhere near the area.

The surest way for your possessions and car and you to leave your old place at the same time, and arrive all at the same time at the new place is to all go together . But if you can tolerate some delay of one or more of the pieces at either end, then having others do part of it is possible.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
After all those crashes, why haven't they raised the overpass? Wouldn't be nearly as entertaining tho....
Pretty strong to hold up to all those hits.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

As previously mentioned by Samclem, check out PODS.

Between Homes Video | PODS

How about have PODS bring the storage container to you and move that for you, then all you do is drive the Kia to your new place and unload the container that's waiting for you? You don't have to mess with driving the truck or towing or going up and down of the truck ramp.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
IIRC. The standard clearance is 13'6". Below that height they have low bridge signs with the height listed. It's up to the driver to be aware of their loads height and find other routes.

Can't tell what is above the overpass if it's train tracks, that might explain the why. In parts of the country I would expect the locals to bring lawn chairs out to watch.

Makes a great point, not familiar with trucks or towing vehicles be very careful.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

While scanning this post, hmmm a low bridge warning, perfect feature for a GPS. Yep, searched and found smart phone apps and GPS data.

GPS database site: Low Clearance Alert System

This article shows that research is good too:
Don’t Get Caught by Low Bridges, get Data for Streets and Trips
No Automatic Routing

Realize that these data sets are just that, data sets. Its up to you to plan your route accordingly. Microsoft Streets and Trips does not have the capability to automatically avoid low clearances in setting your route.
Personally, I think that is a good thing. For example, if I let my GPS navigation software plan my route in Tennessee, I would not be able to visit the Thousand Trails at Natchez Trace, which is a gorgeous place! There is a low bridge at 11 Ft. But, if you read the Thousand Trails directions, you will know that there is a little gravel bypass drive just beside the road that provides plenty of space.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
... There is a low bridge at 11 Ft...
I need to keep this in mind in my immediate RV trip to the eastern half of the country. Out here in the West, this is never a problem.

At 11 ft, I might lose the A/C. Darn, I'd better measure carefully, then post a reminder on my windshield.