Moving a car.

Still, many people may not have experience driving a 30-ft long moving truck and towing a car behind it. They may get in a tight spot just pulling into a motel or a gas station, try to back up and jack-knife the dolly or even trailer if they have not towed anything before.
That's how you get a "memorable story." Nobody wants to complete a long-distance move without gaining a "memorable story."

Another possible source of a "memorable story" is moving truck vs overpass:

Whatever one does, buy the full-coverage doggone insurance.

Do you know anyone you trust on one end or the other who would be willing to drive the car down for you and then fly the other leg? The pod your stuff and fly down.

I suspect after paying them for their time, gas and airfare it might not be too bad compared to other alternatives.

After all those crashes, why haven't they raised the overpass? Wouldn't be nearly as entertaining tho....

My RV and the toad behind it is still the longest thing I have driven. After 20K+ miles, I am more comfortable driving it, but still remind myself to be careful. And as one cannot backup with a flat-towed toad, I am careful where I go. Still twice, I got myself in a dead-end that I had to get out, disconnect the towed car so that I could turn around.

Your trip is only a bit over 1000 miles? Just drive the car down. I can do 1000 miles in one long day, driving my truck pulling a car trailer even. Although my normal day when driving long distance is around 600-700 miles easy. I have made numerous trips between norcal and NM (about 1100 miles one way) and regularly do it in day and half. Most times towing a trailer and driving a pickup truck.

Why so against just driving the car down behind the rental truck? Towing a small trailer behind the car is probably not going to work, that car is not designed for towing. If you are trying to get it done cheapest way you can, driving it yourself is the way.

If you do the rental truck, just trailer or dolly the car behind. Just pay attention to the driving and where you are getting into. Dolly can't back up, a trailer can if you know what to do. I would not flat tow, the tow bar hassles are more than the dolly, and if auto trans you can't flat tow.

The ABF U-pack, PODS or similar is a great way to move the house junk. Then drive the car with only your luggage for the trip and maybe a couple boxes if needed. A professional moving co may not move some stuff that is aerosol cans or solvent type stuff, so they pack a special box you get to take as they will not put it in moving van. The issue is if it leaks, not necessarily because of fire or hazardous materials.

Your trip is only a bit over 1000 miles? Just drive the car down. I can do 1000 miles in one long day, driving my truck pulling a car trailer even...
Most people would drive the car behind the rental truck, although I would not do more than 500 mi/day. However, Khan already said she could not do long distances.

Is who moves your possessions a key determinant in the car-move decision? If you are going to pack your stuff up yourselves, and rent a truck, then rent a tow dolly for it and strap the front wheels of the Kia up on it. That truck won't even notice a Kia behind it. If you need to make it a two-day trip, knock off early enough on the first day so you can check out motels/hotels for parking area, one big enough that the whole rig can be parked off to a side with it all still hooked up. This is not an uncommon sight when traveling, people do it. A run inside to the front desk will tell you if they have the space for the night for it.

If you aren't going to do the heavy lifting of household stuff yourselves, having somebody else do it instead, then can look into a car transporter service. Some will come by your house and put it on their multi-car trailer right there. Some will want you to drive it to one of their pickup-points. You could call some with some tentative dates to get some estimates. Its like air travel, the most transports the most often between where people want to go. From Podunk to Podunk, not very often, may take a while to collect a full load anywhere near the area.

The surest way for your possessions and car and you to leave your old place at the same time, and arrive all at the same time at the new place is to all go together :). But if you can tolerate some delay of one or more of the pieces at either end, then having others do part of it is possible.

As previously mentioned by Samclem, check out PODS.

Between Homes Video | PODS

How about have PODS bring the storage container to you and move that for you, then all you do is drive the Kia to your new place and unload the container that's waiting for you? You don't have to mess with driving the truck or towing or going up and down of the truck ramp.

Last edited:
After all those crashes, why haven't they raised the overpass? Wouldn't be nearly as entertaining tho....

IIRC. The standard clearance is 13'6". Below that height they have low bridge signs with the height listed. It's up to the driver to be aware of their loads height and find other routes.

Can't tell what is above the overpass if it's train tracks, that might explain the why. In parts of the country I would expect the locals to bring lawn chairs out to watch.

Makes a great point, not familiar with trucks or towing vehicles be very careful.

While scanning this post, hmmm a low bridge warning, perfect feature for a GPS. Yep, searched and found smart phone apps and GPS data.

GPS database site: Low Clearance Alert System

This article shows that research is good too:
Don’t Get Caught by Low Bridges, get Data for Streets and Trips
No Automatic Routing

Realize that these data sets are just that, data sets. It’s up to you to plan your route accordingly. Microsoft Streets and Trips does not have the capability to automatically avoid low clearances in setting your route.
Personally, I think that is a good thing. For example, if I let my GPS navigation software plan my route in Tennessee, I would not be able to visit the Thousand Trails at Natchez Trace, which is a gorgeous place! There is a low bridge at 11 Ft. But, if you read the Thousand Trails directions, you will know that there is a little gravel bypass drive just beside the road that provides plenty of space.

... There is a low bridge at 11 Ft...
I need to keep this in mind in my immediate RV trip to the eastern half of the country. Out here in the West, this is never a problem.

At 11 ft, I might lose the A/C. Darn, I'd better measure carefully, then post a reminder on my windshield.

I need to keep this in mind in my immediate RV trip..... Darn, I'd better measure carefully, then post a reminder on my windshield.

I'm this tall..... Stop and P every now an then.... Pick up rattlesnake eggs this side of Tucson.....

Don't them Post-it notes make it hard to see the road? Where is that Robotic driver thread.

Last edited:
Nah. The RV windshield is a lot bigger than that of a car. And its dashboard is big.

I put my netbook up on the dashboard resting against the windshield, and running MS Street & Trips for navigation with a big screen, not a bitty Garmin or a smartphone. Never had a problem with it blocking my view, so what's a little Post-It note?

I will be moving from OH to FL. Have a 2005 KIA RIO.

How to move?
Tow behind rental truck
Car trailer behind rental truck
Car inside rental truck
Have moved by car transport
Use KIA to tow small trailer

We shipped a car to Florida from Midwest for $600. It was only worth $2000, but since we have owned it forever, there is no way I could go to Florida and pick up a similar vehicle. The move was painless. Even stuck some stuff in the trunk :LOL:.

If you are like us, there will be several trips back and forth for various reasons - some planned, some not. Each trip we take a few things with us.

By the way, garage sales and moving sales are abundant in Florida, so you can pick up bargains on anything.

Good luck.

We had to unpack the whole roof rack on the little bus in Hungary to get under a bridge on our way to a campground. Oh, and we accidentally took out a tiny bit of medieval walled church wall in Sibiu Romania. Thankfully a donation to the church helped us out of that jam. Know the height of your vehicle, and go slow!

KIA builds great cars, today, but they didn't 9 years ago. If the car has a lot of miles on it I'd sell it rather than risk a major expense because of a mechanical breakdown. If it has less than 75k miles on it it might be worth driving. My suggestion is one person drive the rental truck and the 2nd the KIA UNLESS it has lots of miles on it or isn't in perfect condition. My brother works on KIA product and he wouldn't drive it ......." sell it or you might be very, very sorry you didn't".

We shipped a car to Florida from Midwest for $600. It was only worth $2000, but since we have owned it forever, there is no way I could go to Florida and pick up a similar vehicle. The move was painless. Even stuck some stuff in the trunk :LOL:.

If you are like us, there will be several trips back and forth for various reasons - some planned, some not. Each trip we take a few things with us.

By the way, garage sales and moving sales are abundant in Florida, so you can pick up bargains on anything.

Good luck.

I have been reading this post hoping someone would chime in on a car transit company, as I have a Prius I have to move from southern Florida to Las Vegas and was hoping someone had experience with this and could recommend a company. So would you please let me know who you used, and was it an outside (stacked on a ramp) move? Everything I read said absolutely no items could go with the car, which is a shame. So how did you manage it?

How much lead time did they need from the time you booked them? How many miles was your trip. Mine is going to be much longer. I'm at about 2500 miles.

I have been reading this post hoping someone would chime in on a car transit company, as I have a Prius I have to move from southern Florida to Las Vegas and was hoping someone had experience with this and could recommend a company. So would you please let me know who you used, and was it an outside (stacked on a ramp) move? How much lead time did they need from the time you booked them? How many miles was your trip.

I have shipped several cars a long distance (over 2000 miles), though it has been 6 years since I shipped the last one. In both cases I eventually received the car, but the process took a long time. It was delays and excuses. Both were outside (on a truck). They were pretty dirty, but undamaged. There are sites like this for car shippers, and I suggest you spend some time there. As I understand, most shippers are brokers who contract with truckers to move cars around the country. The game is to maximize the number of cars on the truck, so it depends on your route and timing. I would get at least 3 bids, and choose one with better reviews. When the car is delivered, inspect it carefully for damage, since they usually have to shuffle cars on and off over the route. There are complaints about fluids dripping onto cars from the upper cars, so make sure there's no paint damage from this.

How about hiring somebody to drive your car? An RV dealer near me uses hired drivers to deliver motorhomes he bought from out of state. I guess the driver flies back home, and that cost figures in the total charge.

Back
Top Bottom