Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Pretty strong to hold up to all those hits.
I was thinking that too. Those bridges don't have much give to them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

The I5 Skagit River bridge had a section collapse last year from repeated hits, some folks drove into the river. They got out okay. i knew about it pretty quick as the wing watch officer called doing a head count.... I was sitting in Aomori prefecture half the world away.

https://www.google.com/search?q=I5+s...er%3B550%3B310
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I need to keep this in mind in my immediate RV trip..... Darn, I'd better measure carefully, then post a reminder on my windshield.
I'm this tall..... Stop and P every now an then.... Pick up rattlesnake eggs this side of Tucson.....

Don't them Post-it notes make it hard to see the road? Where is that Robotic driver thread.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nah. The RV windshield is a lot bigger than that of a car. And its dashboard is big.

I put my netbook up on the dashboard resting against the windshield, and running MS Street & Trips for navigation with a big screen, not a bitty Garmin or a smartphone. Never had a problem with it blocking my view, so what's a little Post-It note?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I will be moving from OH to FL. Have a 2005 KIA RIO.

How to move?
Tow behind rental truck
Car trailer behind rental truck
Car inside rental truck
Have moved by car transport
Use KIA to tow small trailer
We shipped a car to Florida from Midwest for $600. It was only worth $2000, but since we have owned it forever, there is no way I could go to Florida and pick up a similar vehicle. The move was painless. Even stuck some stuff in the trunk .

If you are like us, there will be several trips back and forth for various reasons - some planned, some not. Each trip we take a few things with us.

By the way, garage sales and moving sales are abundant in Florida, so you can pick up bargains on anything.

Good luck.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

We had to unpack the whole roof rack on the little bus in Hungary to get under a bridge on our way to a campground. Oh, and we accidentally took out a tiny bit of medieval walled church wall in Sibiu Romania. Thankfully a donation to the church helped us out of that jam. Know the height of your vehicle, and go slow!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #47

KIA builds great cars, today, but they didn't 9 years ago. If the car has a lot of miles on it I'd sell it rather than risk a major expense because of a mechanical breakdown. If it has less than 75k miles on it it might be worth driving. My suggestion is one person drive the rental truck and the 2nd the KIA UNLESS it has lots of miles on it or isn't in perfect condition. My brother works on KIA product and he wouldn't drive it ......." sell it or you might be very, very sorry you didn't".
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
We shipped a car to Florida from Midwest for $600. It was only worth $2000, but since we have owned it forever, there is no way I could go to Florida and pick up a similar vehicle. The move was painless. Even stuck some stuff in the trunk .

If you are like us, there will be several trips back and forth for various reasons - some planned, some not. Each trip we take a few things with us.

By the way, garage sales and moving sales are abundant in Florida, so you can pick up bargains on anything.

Good luck.
I have been reading this post hoping someone would chime in on a car transit company, as I have a Prius I have to move from southern Florida to Las Vegas and was hoping someone had experience with this and could recommend a company. So would you please let me know who you used, and was it an outside (stacked on a ramp) move? Everything I read said absolutely no items could go with the car, which is a shame. So how did you manage it?

How much lead time did they need from the time you booked them? How many miles was your trip. Mine is going to be much longer. I'm at about 2500 miles.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I have been reading this post hoping someone would chime in on a car transit company, as I have a Prius I have to move from southern Florida to Las Vegas and was hoping someone had experience with this and could recommend a company. So would you please let me know who you used, and was it an outside (stacked on a ramp) move? How much lead time did they need from the time you booked them? How many miles was your trip.
I have shipped several cars a long distance (over 2000 miles), though it has been 6 years since I shipped the last one. In both cases I eventually received the car, but the process took a long time. It was delays and excuses. Both were outside (on a truck). They were pretty dirty, but undamaged. There are sites like this for car shippers, and I suggest you spend some time there. As I understand, most shippers are brokers who contract with truckers to move cars around the country. The game is to maximize the number of cars on the truck, so it depends on your route and timing. I would get at least 3 bids, and choose one with better reviews. When the car is delivered, inspect it carefully for damage, since they usually have to shuffle cars on and off over the route. There are complaints about fluids dripping onto cars from the upper cars, so make sure there's no paint damage from this.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

How about hiring somebody to drive your car? An RV dealer near me uses hired drivers to deliver motorhomes he bought from out of state. I guess the driver flies back home, and that cost figures in the total charge.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #51
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The KIA has ~55,000.
It will become our local errand car, saving his big car for long distance and for towing.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The KIA has ~55,000.
It will become our local errand car, saving his big car for long distance and for towing.
~55,000 miles. You're still breaking the car in

I've driven a Kia Spectra before and was actually impressed. A good value car in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #53
Gone but not forgotten

I'm thinking it has the original tires.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm thinking it has the original tires.
I'm thinking "blowouts"...
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm thinking "blowouts"...
Always the optimist..........
Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Always the optimist..........
Ten year old tires don't inspire much optimisim, even if they're Pollyanna belted radials.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Costco has Michelin on sales right now. $70 off for a set of 4. Just had them put on my car.

And you can also go to Discount Tire and ask them to match Costco deal. They did it for me before on my 6 expensive RV tires. Costco's guys um'ed and ah'ed when asked about my motorhome. It was too big to fit in their bay, and they did not want to do it out in the parking lot using manual jacks. Discount Tire guys had absolutely no problem taking the job.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Discount tire direct has a sale going this weekend. Up to $75 rebate on a set of 4, $30 rebate for using their CC. Add with MIR for select tires, Cooper has a $70 rebate.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If moving an Ohio car to Florida I hope it has an air conditioner. If not I would suggest selling it and buying another when you get there or maybe do that before you make the move. The high heat and the humidity for 6 months out of the year (and longer the further south you go) can be a health concern as we get older. You read and hear about this almost daily during that time.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #60
Gone but not forgotten

KIA has A/C.
I'll replace the tires later this year.
Never thought about age of tires making a difference if in use.