Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'm in the camp of "don't lowball yourself."

When I was still a dumb 2nd Lieutenant, I became close friends with my commander's wife. I guess I seemed so clueless that she kind of adopted me. Among the things she taught me was "Expect that you'll lose 10% of your belongings on every move either to theft or damage."

Over the next couple of decades, her words of wisdom proved very prescient.

I had another 10 PCS moves during that time and on average I had either theft or damage wipe out at least 10% of my household goods every time. The military works on the lowest bidder system, so a typical move would be done by some guy who owned his own semi and stopped at the local day labor market on his way to my house. His "helpers' were frequently alcoholics who were paid by the hour so they stretched the job out interminably.

Complaining to the base transportation office was useless since they heard the same complaints every day and simply offered their sympathy while ignoring them.

OTOH, my DW went through only a few moves and always hired a reputable local company. She had practically zero theft or damage.

braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:20 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We packed ourselves and loaded the truck ourselves. Not one single thing broke on our move from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale. We had one small nick on a chair leg and that was all. Just one more reason to do it yourself.

utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The ABF U-pack is a good way to do it. You basically just rent the trailer space. They drop trailer at your house or you load at the truck yard for lowest cost, you load it up and then they drive to destination and you unload. You only pay for as much of the trailer as you use, and after the estimate, you can add or subtract "feet" of trailer within a range for credit or additional fee. Since it is a big truck trailer, there is no real weight limit, put as much as you can fit as tight as you can get it. Then they give you a big flat plywood to seal your stuff into the trailer. Then ABF will load partial freight to fill the trailer and maximize the load going to your destination. You get full tracking of the progress.

You can hire some local loading guys to do the heavy lifting, even packing if you want. Although the best advice is what several have suggested, getting rid of it and not moving is the easiest.

I did the U-Pack to move some stuff from CA to NM, I thought it was fair price and lot less than a U-Haul or similar truck rental. I had lot of heavy garage stuff and also some estate stuff. It was beyond what employer would pay for, so it was on my cost.

I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote