Join Early Retirement Today

Moving cost Chicago to New England
Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Moving cost Chicago to New England

Hoping for some help here. We're moving a fully furnished 4 bedroom house with lots of tools, snowblower, and garden implements. I'm seeing moving quotes just under $10K. We don't want to do anything other than pack boxes ourselves, so we need help.
Can anyone suggest a way to get the cost down, based on their experience?
Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

move less stuff? I believe long-distance moving rates are set by the mile and by the pound.

I moved 1800 miles about 5 years ago and it was 15K ish.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
move less stuff? I believe long-distance moving rates are set by the mile and by the pound.

I moved 1800 miles about 5 years ago and it was 15K ish.
I haven't moved much, and I have never moved much stuff. My brother had a large house full, but he handled it by selling everything and starting fresh after the move. His wife didn't throw up any objections.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

We had a crap ton of stuff and have even more stuff now

Regarding the cost of the move, that's something that the (new) employer usually pays for.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Regarding the cost of the move, that's something that the (new) employer usually pays for.
Yes, but my new employer will be ER. That particular employer watches his/her expenditures very carefully and tries to get the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Best bang for the buck.

Get your own rental truck (the biggest you'll need) [IE: Uhaul, Penske, etc...]

Hire local guys to fill it. Drive to your destination ... Hire Local Guys to unload.

I can't see this costing more then $2-3k at MOST.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThinkin2019 View Post
Yes, but my new employer will be ER. That particular employer watches his/her expenditures very carefully and tries to get the biggest bang for the buck.
well you could always rent a big Penske van and diy if you want to save $$$ - long distance moves are expensive
Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post
Best bang for the buck.

Hire local guys to fill it. Drive to your destination ... Hire Local Guys to unload.

the key to moving is correctly packing the van - I've seen poorly packed vans unloaded with a lot of broken stuff, heck even the correctly packed van has broken stuff sometimes - I'd be careful hiring some guys off the street to pack it
Old 12-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #9

plus when you hire a pro to move you the stuff is insured, that won't happen when you DIY - we have a lot of antiques so I'd just pony up the extra $$$
Old 12-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Friends had an estate sale before moving from Chicago big house to NYC apt. Didn't sell everything, just what they didn't want to move. Probably made enough to pay for the movers.

DS moved from Chicago to Texas and the movers wouldn't unload until he paid $1500 over the estimate (he got it down to that--they wanted $3k more. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
the key to moving is correctly packing the van - I've seen poorly packed vans unloaded with a lot of broken stuff, heck even the correctly packed van has broken stuff sometimes - I'd be careful hiring some guys off the street to pack it
I'm not talking random guys.

Plenty of legitmate moving & storage companies in each local will do it for $25 - $100 per hour depending on the amount of guys needed. And they know what they are doing ...

Rough estimates:

Rent Truck for 5 days ... 1 Day to load ... 2-3 Travel ... 1 day to unload
39.95/day for the largest Uhaul Truck with mileage Fee. Approx 982 miles from Chicago to Boston (i just picked a random city)
Packing Truck: $500 - 2 guys full 8-10 hours
Unpacking Truck: $500 - 2 guys full 8-10 hours

Looking at:
$199.75 + tax (Uhaul)
$775 in Mileage (paid to UHaul)
$1000 Total for Load/Unload
$250 in gas at most

Roughly $2,225.00
Old 12-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Here is my plan for a move next summer, of 2500 miles.

Sell everything that DW will let me sell, give away the rest.

Hire a local mover / packer to pack a trailer from ABF with the remaining furniture and boxes.

Hire a local mover / packer to unload at the destination.

Buy new stuff as needed off Craigslist, Costco etc.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #13

We recently moved from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale. We rented a U-Haul and did everything ourselves (friends helped load and unload the truck). It cost about $1150 or so for the 26' truck and maybe $300 for gas. Right around $1500 not counting 2 nights in a hotel.

One thing I can tell you is that there is no way in hell you will fit a fully furnished 4 bedroom house in a 26' truck, which is about the biggest you can get from one of these rental places and drive without a CDL. I wouldnt be surprised if you totally filled 2 of them.

There's no way I would hire movers. The cost is outrageous, they wont guarantee you when it will get there and, like someone else said, they can hold your stuff hostage if you dont pay overages which are total BS.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post
Best bang for the buck.

That's exactly what we did, partly to save money, but mostly because we didn't have a huge amount of stuff (sold some, moved other stuff to another house earlier, had an estate sale), and we couldn't get anyone to agree to take it straight where we wanted without unloading/reloading/consolidating, etc. Destination was a bit unusual also.

OP, I can recommend an excellent company in your area to load for you.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Agreed, we've used the local movers referenced above to pack for two long-distance moves and not one single thing has been damaged or broken. They can also fit an amazing amount of stuff in.

I also agree that you will likely need at least two 26' trucks.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #16

I have a friend that owns a large moving company. It's a screwy business. The estimate you've received is just an estimate--charges are by the mile and weight and the cost of supplies and hours required to pack. It could be $10K or $15K if they underestimate the weight of your stuff.

My last 235 mile move was 3x the average family's move--$20K. I filled a tractor trailer and a half which included my cabinet shop and a bunch of heavy tools.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Find a job in New England that has moving expenses as a benefit. You may have to work for a year or so to avoid having to repay the moving expenses, but since your name suggests your plan is/was to ER in 2019, that should be doable.

If you can't find a job with moving expenses covered, find any job and deduct moving costs from your taxes.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

How about that PODS thing?
Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #19

Sell the snowblower and any other heavy items that can be easily replaced when you get to your new home.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Find a job in New England that has moving expenses as a benefit. You may have to work for a year or so to avoid having to repay the moving expenses, but since your name suggests your plan is/was to ER in 2019, that should be doable.

If you can't find a job with moving expenses covered, find any job and deduct moving costs from your taxes.
Last time we moved and the company paid for the move, I had to pay income tax on the moving cost. But it was still cheaper than paying the whole bill.