Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hate paying taxes as much as anyone. However, since we (all humans) get only one shot at life, I have adopted a "spending" philosophy that goes something like this: Find what you like (food, location, car, toys, etc. etc.) and then see if you can afford it. I don't know a lot about the places OP is considering, and there has already been good advice about deciding where to settle. My advice (make that "suggestion") is to look for where you will be the happiest and then figure out a way to afford it. Most here know I moved from the "cheap" midwest to "high cost" Hawaii. We've made some sacrifices (square footage and isolation are the most obvious) but we have found the "costs" to be worth it. If the time comes that we can no longer afford Paradise, we'll look for something cheaper, but hopefully it will still be someplace we enjoy living out our days.

Personal observation about Florida: I've spent just a few days each at perhaps half a dozen locations in Florida (central Fl, Keys, Miami, Panama City, Tallahassee, Palm Island, Jacksonville. The only place in Florida I would even consider living is St. Augustine. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Koolau +1

I wouldn't make a decision about where I wanted to live based on taxes in the first place, but most assuredly not on the top marginal rate which I wouldn't be paying anyway. I am aware, however, that there are those on this board that disagree....

Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I hate paying taxes as much as anyone. However, since we (all humans) get only one shot at life, ..... My advice (make that "suggestion") is to look for where you will be the happiest and then figure out a way to afford it.
This is our approach as well. When we move to our retirement home, we will pay state income tax again, after not having one for well over twenty years. But we accept that as a cost of living in an area we really desire. We are compensating in other ways.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not adverse to taxes as a cost of doing business (living where we want to) but can not swallow the pill of effectively carrying a mortgage each month in taxes with no end of increases in site. That might be one of the reasons Connecticut has a negative population growth rate as well as being listed as one of the states from which people most want to leave.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere
Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Koolau +1

I wouldn't make a decision about where I wanted to live based on taxes in the first place, but most assuredly not on the top marginal rate which I wouldn't be paying anyway. I am aware, however, that there are those on this board that disagree....
Not talking income taxes because at the very least there will be state and Federal (save for a few states), but just property and higher gas taxes...adding the income, sales , sin and other taxes makes me sad

Tags
advice, florida, moving, suggestions