Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Could humidity be a factor? Most of the high rate areas also have high humidity.
It's a dry heat.
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

An alternative hypothesis might be that people who already have heart disease tend to move to the southeast. Try controlling for that...
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Too late. Whatever effects location might have have already done their dirty work. Moving now won't save or kill you.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Too late. Whatever effects location might have have already done their dirty work. Moving now won't save or kill you.
We moved from a low heart disease area to a high one. I guess that means we're safe. Good. Now I can have something fried for dinner.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
An alternative hypothesis might be that people who already have heart disease tend to move to the southeast. Try controlling for that...
+1
try shoveling snow with a bad heart. I heard a lot of talk, back in PA, about moving to Arizona for the dry heat.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to Bruce
It is tough to draw a correlation between one factor when so many factors are involved, You are assuming that the cause is geographic when it probably is a lot of different factors including race, ethnicity, obesity, alcohol consumption, diet, etc.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #27

I went up to the DC area to help my daughter move a couple of weeks ago. She has moved close to to the Metro and shopping so we did quite a bit of walking. We did use the car because we were moving and buying things for her new apartment but we walked to go to dinner and to the grocery store. I even walked to the Metro on my way home to get to the airport.
There were stairs to climb, hills to walk up. Just more exercise getting to your destination.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
It is tough to draw a correlation between one factor when so many factors are involved, You are assuming that the cause is geographic when it probably is a lot of different factors including race, ethnicity, obesity, alcohol consumption, diet, etc.
Good point.
That column of states in the middle, MT, Wy, CO, NM, might contain some cranky folks who would tell a survey done by the federal govt. [CDC] to go fish instead of answering straight. The caption says "adults reporting" , but I have no idea how they came by the counts. That whole stack is cattle country, too, I bet they aren't chowing down on tofu tonite.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting map! Who would have thought AZ would be a "heartbreak" center, just like the Southern States?

The reason I said that was because, in my mind, I was comparing it to the obesity map by CDC below. It shows that the Southern States and Texas have the highest obesity rate. Yep, there's some correlation there.

Arizonans are thinner less heavy than New Mexicans, yet we have more heart problems. Other than the dry heat in AZ and the higher elevation of NM (considering only population centers), I could not think of any other factors.

Conclusion: Between AZ and Texas, either the dry heat or the chiggers will get ya! Better move to Montana where you will be "lean and mean".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Careful! Some of those low coronary states have lots of mud-chiggers. They gum up your car's fuel line as well as your arteries.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Maybe this is related:
Attached Images
File Type: png image-2559798358.png (133.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #32

Wisconsin is kind of heavy on the obesity map and of course everyone there eats lots of cheese all the time, but it is in the lowest category for heart disease on the first map. Why is that?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

There have been a lot of hoaxes regarding state average IQs vs. how they vote, but one thing appears true.

That is the higher in latitude, the higher the average IQ. Perhaps cold and long winters are more conducive to reading books near the fireplace and that makes them smarter, rather than "fooling" around in the outdoors like their Southerner brethren?

PS. A map I found on the Web to link in was deleted! Not sure how official or accurate it is anyway.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There have been a lot of hoaxes regarding state average IQs vs. how they vote, but one thing appears true.

That is the higher in latitude, the higher the average IQ. Perhaps cold and long winters are more conducive to reading books near the fireplace, rather than "fooling" around in the outdoors?

PS. A map I found on the Web to link in was deleted! Not sure how official or accurate it is anyway.
[mod hat on]All I saw with that map was the "red x", so I got the URL from your post and tested it in another window. It seemed to work but for some reason it wasn't showing up in your post. I'm not sure why. Try inserting the image again, maybe? [/mod hat off]

I think during those long and cold winters, northerners are out shoveling snow and trying to start their cars. That's why so many want to move south when they grow older.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I just tried again, and it still does not work. It turned out to be about some high school tests and not I.Q. test, but it collaborated what T-Al posted above.

Here's a hypothesis as to why people in colder climates are thinner. Their bodies have to burn off all that fat to stay warm. Duh!

Yet, Arizonans are not as heavy as other Southern states. It's because the dry heat melts off all the bacon in their bodies.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Here it is. But then, if it doesn't refer to the tests you were discussing, then perhaps it isn't that relevant. Oh well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #37

Going from Atlanta to Denver or Salt Lake City or Jackson or Kalispell is like traveling to a different world. In the Atlanta airport obesity is the norm. In the western airports we have recently flown into it seems like most the people are lean and fit. The lower number of smokers is also very noticeable. Think there might be any link between obesity and smoking and heart disease?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

All these spurious correlations being given as causes for HD mortality! Looking at the map, it is smack-down obvious that heart disease is in fact caused solely by chiggers. Go where it is either too cold, or too dry, for chiggers, and live forever.

Ha
Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #39

Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If it is diet and lifestyle it doesn't matter where you live, and if you move and bring along your bad habits, heat disease comes right along.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #40

There's just nothing better than an appetizer of queso and chips followed by homemade flour tortillas (lard, not shortening), grilled fajitas, beans, and an ice cold beer (or two). Oh, wait, there is something better - breakfast tacos - homemade tortillas filled with fried taters, scrambled eggs, picante sauce, cheese, and whatever else is available.

Just about everything we ate while I was growing up was fried and/or had cream gravy on it. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy, biscuits with cream gravy, and corn that always seemed to wind up next to the mashed potatoes and cream gravy and became a corn/taters/gravy mixture. Sometimes, if we were out of biscuits, we'd have a piece of white bread with gravy tossed on top of it.

Afternoon snacks were homemade tortillas and brown beans. The preferred drink, besides an ice cold beer, is sweetea. Yes, that's one word in Texas. And all visitors were assumed to be hungry and thirsty.

Remember those sweltering evenings when you were growing up (this was before everyone had air conditioning) and the neighbors would get together and make homemade ice cream?

Food and drink have been an important part of Texas tradition. We're earned that darn ugly color. However, I must point out one little fact - there has been tremendous population migration from other states this past decade so I'm not sure the problem is completely Texas-grown.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote