Join Early Retirement Today

Moving to Florida
Old 01-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Moving to Florida

Flew into Fort Lauderdale, visited family in Hollywood and Hollandale, then took the A1A up north to Palm Beach. From there, went through Alabama, and Tennesee. Flew out of Nashville this AM, oh boy, was it cold.

So back now in So Cal. The two places I liked most were Deerfield Beach and Huntsville AL.

A lot of people don't like FL for the hurricanes. I've never been in one, but I would think if I'm in a "hurricane-proof" building, for the most part, I'm safe. Not sure about that, would appreciate any comments. Also, there's something about the FL weather (maybe not summer) that I find magical. I love how the storms roll in, and soon after, you'd never know there was a storm.

Deerfield I liked because it had a good vibe to me. Hollywood, while I like it a lot, is just too dense. Another ER poster mentioned Sebastian Beach and I went there to check it out. Too sparse for me. I like more city and access to restaurants and such.

The little bit we visited Huntsville, we liked it. Especially around the high-tech/NASA area. Homes were super reasonable with low property taxes and association fees. I was disappointed with the Nashville area, we looked at homes in Franklin, Brentwood and Murfreesboro. I guess Nashville is becoming a victim of its success, prices are relatively high and there's lots more building going on in the downtown area.

The reason I like the Huntsville/Nashville area is the location and airport. Not sure about Huntsville, but with Nashville, could fly out and be in any east coast city within a few hours. I like that. Here in SoCal, I feel we're in a bit of a pocket. Lots of cool places to go (Big Bear, Catalina, Vegas, Palm Springs) but to go anywhere, it's a long flight. In Nashville, I like the idea of being in Boston, NH, New Orleans, practically anywhere in the eastern US in a short time. Doesn't take the whole day flying.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's Nice.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:24 AM   #3
Administrator

Even if your building has been built to the latest code you have two other risks. One is flooding. The other is the surface infrastructure in South Florida is not “hurricane proof” and a bad storm will knock out the power grid. No electricity for up to 2 weeks, which means local businesses cannot operate. You cannot get gasoline, groceries, medications, or even fresh water. It’s happened twice in the past 10 years.

Quote:
A lot of people don't like FL for the hurricanes. I've never been in one, but I would think if I'm in a "hurricane-proof" building, for the most part, I'm safe. Not sure about that, would appreciate any comments. Also, there's something about the FL weather (maybe not summer) that I find magical. I love how the storms roll in, and soon after, you'd never know there was a storm.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DB lived in Florida for over 30 years. First 10 years in Boca Raton, then Fort Lauderdale. I love to visit but not sure I'd want to live there. Maybe northern east coast. I don't like the summer humidity in southern Florida. A1A is a fun drive, especially Palm Beach. We get a look at the houses of the 1%.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:51 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I spent my adolescence (16.5 to 23) in South Florida; enjoyed it, but I was a kid in college much of that time. The constant 88-92 degrees and 90-100% humidity gets to be a drag, as an adult.

Worse than the climate is the traffic. It can take an hour to go 12 miles. OTOH, the southern tip of the state is so built-up, you can probably do all your errands within 2 miles of your development.

A bit farther north, the climate evens out a bit. But on the west coast, beware the Red Tide, which (probably due to climate change) is getting worse and worse, and even starting to show up on the east coast now.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Even if your building has been built to the latest code you have two other risks. One is flooding. The other is the surface infrastructure in South Florida is not “hurricane proof” and a bad storm will knock out the power grid. No electricity for up to 2 weeks, which means local businesses cannot operate. You cannot get gasoline, groceries, medications, or even fresh water. It’s happened twice in the past 10 years.
We live near a hospital, Never in 10 years have we lost power for more than 24 hours. (Touch Desk)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:58 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We live near a hospital, Never in 10 years have we lost power for more than 24 hours. (Touch Desk)
My comment was specific to South Florida. Broward, Miami Dade and the Keys, and some of Palm Beach county. With Hurricane Wilma most of this area spent two weeks without power, and it was a real tough time.

Florida Power just completed an expensive, multi-year program to replace wood electric poles with taller concrete stands, which would (theoretically) minimize outages due to downed lines. Hurricane Irma caused just as many outages.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:14 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I spent my adolescence (16.5 to 23) in South Florida; enjoyed it, but I was a kid in college much of that time. The constant 88-92 degrees and 90-100% humidity gets to be a drag, as an adult.

Worse than the climate is the traffic. It can take an hour to go 12 miles. OTOH, the southern tip of the state is so built-up, you can probably do all your errands within 2 miles of your development.

A bit farther north, the climate evens out a bit. But on the west coast, beware the Red Tide, which (probably due to climate change) is getting worse and worse, and even starting to show up on the east coast now.
Don't forget police curfews after hurricane where if residents venture out I have seen them get arrested. Price gauge of contractors to fix your roofs or if he impacted areas of your home. It happens and many residents including myself sucked it up and paid a premium. Got tired living under a blue tarp which used to be my roof for several weeks after the hurrucane. If you are an adventure seeker perhaps you should fly to Florida, ride out the hurricane in a hotel if you can find any vacancy and see what it is like to live through a hurricane. That's the only way to see what hurricanes are all about. And don't forget all aspects of Florida wildlife that get displaced during hurricanes and find their way to local streets or by your front door. The price to live in paradise (FL) but it sure beats living up North.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:30 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I suggest you try Florida out during June through August before making a decision.

Or go into your bathroom and put two 3000 watt heaters on, then turn on the shower as hot as it will go. If you can stay in there for a few days it would give you the best analog.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstillson View Post
I suggest you try Florida out during June through August before making a decision.

Or go into your bathroom and put two 3000 watt heaters on, then turn on the shower as hot as it will go. If you can stay in there for a few days it would give you the best analog.
+1/ and that's a normal hot steamy night in Central and South Florida during the summer. But at least the drinks are ice cold!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstillson View Post

That is what AC is for...……

We go here when that is the case. There is always a nice breeze by the beach. Now inland is another story. But hey, we would rather be hot than cold.... It is 50*F today, Brrrrrrrrr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130818_100553.jpg (578.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-31-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
gone traveling

Saving on state income taxes is a good idea imo.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
A lot of people don't like FL for the hurricanes. I've never been in one, but I would think if I'm in a "hurricane-proof" building, for the most part, I'm safe. Not sure about that, would appreciate any comments.
No building in SE Florida has been tested above a Cat3 direct hit since Andrew, in 1992 which was a fast, small Cat5. Building codes have been upgraded, and you could be in a "hurricane proof" building, but all bets are off in a Cat5. Storm rated windows don't get tested beyond 150mph. Gusts are a whole other category. That metal chair your twit neighbor left on their patio getting caught in a 175gust? Yeah there's no hurricane protection rating for that if it hits your impact windows. I would not stay in place - despite my hurricane upgrades - for a Cat4 or higher. Even a graze of a cat1, (irma was only a bad TS for me) means being held hostage inside for up to a day while it rages outside, wrecks your garden, trees, fencing. Blew our outside AC unit, lost 3 trees and had to replace half our fence. Only lost power for a day as we're on a grid with the fire station. Many waited longer. So you always have to prep like you're going camping for a week.

Wilma ('05) wrecked SFL for a week or two. It was a Cat1 here and the eye went over my house. Irma was mostly a TS for broward/palm beach and still a mess for a lot of folks.

But that's only been once every 10+ years. Of course no predictor of the future, if anything it will get worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Also, there's something about the FL weather (maybe not summer) that I find magical. I love how the storms roll in, and soon after, you'd never know there was a storm.
You haven't been here in the summer. You know there was a storm lol. The street literally steams, if it's not flooded badly. Your sunglasses are fogged. You sweat from just breathing outside. Whole streets get blocked. Some summers come with dry months at the beginning and the everglades burn, and you have ash on your car, and best not have asthma!

Been here since 82 and no plans to leave. But it did take me a long time to acclimate (like 15 years).

Without the issues above, it would be perfect, but then it would be far to expensive to live here.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
gone traveling

Cat 3 there are no hurricane proof roofs. Roof shingles, parts of your roof and your entire roof blows away and interior of home gets soaked by frequent Florida rains. Cat 4/5 - I agree will wipe out entire structures of buildings. When the hurricanes gather strength in the Gulf of Mexico and the cone of uncertainty is across half or the entire state of Florida it’s a very stressful time for us.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:29 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are your insurance costs through the roof?

(A bit of pun intended but a serious question nonetheless.)
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post

Ours averaged about $1200 a year for home and $440 for flood (Last 10 years) in North East Florida. 3200sqft concrete block 2 miles from the beach.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post

Yes and yes. When a major hurricane wrecks an area quite a few insurance companies go bankrupt as they are also victims of these natural disasters. Could not get hold of my insurance company for a while since the phone lines were down, and insurance company locations were impacted by the hurricanes including the agents and adjusters homes.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My FIL had a place on Marathon key when Andrew was coming. Although he suffered no damage, they left the keys. They couldn't get out of their neighborhood, let alone to the highway.

My parents lived around Stuart and they did like it there. I'd go absolutely crazy from traffic and tourists.

Never been in a hurricane in FL, but I did see the remains of 2 in PA,NY. More flooding and destruction than anyone could possibly imagine.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

For now, anyway.

Florida's sales tax has crept up over the years; depending on the legislature's perception of state needs, they could decide to impose an income tax at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Saving on state income taxes is a good idea imo.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
That is what AC is for...……

We go here when that is the case. There is always a nice breeze by the beach. Now inland is another story. But hey, we would rather be hot than cold.... It is 50*F today, Brrrrrrrrr.
Exactly.
Unless one has a reverse snowbird scenario, if one doesn't like the heat which does last at least 6 months, then FLA is not the right place to move to.
We do everything in 90 degrees that we would do in 60 degrees.