Moving to NYC without a job

sizzlinkola

Dryer sheet wannabe
I have 6-12 months of living expenses (depends on my spending) and will be living with my SO in NYC. I've been looking for 7 months and applying online hasn't worked despite all the resume critiques I've gotten from PM hiring managers.

I have a non-tech background trying to break into a health tech startup in PM. I feel that my resume isn't competitive enough against tech and formal PM candidates. On top of that, I feel there is more supply than demand for PMs. I have 5 years of experience in engineering/PM in the life sciences industry which I believe is relevant for a health tech role and makes me qualified.

Moving to NYC will allow me to build my network and find a job through connections. I've only gotten one job applying online, the rest I leveraged my network. I'm building my NYC network remotely through e-mails and phone calls. I believe the next step is to relocate, meet these people in-person and attend tech events to meet more people to get my name/resume out there.

I'd love to hear that this is a dumb idea. Yet, I don't foresee anything else I could do to get a job at this point other than waiting for more job postings. I'm open to suggestions. My job isn't aligned with my values and would rather spend the 40 hr/wk dedicating to finding a job I love as well as being with my SO.

Back
Top Bottom