Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Moving to the Bay Area?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup everything that you guys say is right on the mark.

California suc _ _!

Took today off. Got up this morning put on the shorts, t-shirt and Tevas and took the kids to school.

DW works from home so bothered her a bit after getting back. Had to go to the credit union so hopped on the road bike and pedaled over there.

Passed by the mall and laughed at the people circling the parking lot. Can't find a close parking space at the mall on a Friday! Talk about congestion! Haven't been to the mall for about five years. Don't really miss it.

Raced an asian woman for about a mile. She was very fast. She stared a conversation at a light but I had to take a right and didn't have time to reply. Not many women around that are that fast. She could win her age group in most of the local tri's (assuming she can run and swim). Looked really, really good in bike shorts too!

Got home, puttered around a bit, had lunch and bothered DW some more before picking up kids.

Did a three hour mountain bike ride in the Santa Cruz mountains in the afternoon while DW was having her jumping lesson and taking care of her horses. Climbed through redwood, oak and sage/grass ecosystems to 2200' above the valley. Hit a rock and almost crashed crossing the creek but ended up just getting feet wet.

Crystal clear blue sky, views of Santa Clara valley and the S.F. Bay to the east and Santa Cruz mountains to the west at the top. Startled a goup of five deer. Found out that they are very fast too.

Hammered the downhill to get back to the stables before sunset. It was a bit chilly in the shaded valleys by then, maybe 60F or perhaps even less. Note to self, remember your arm warmers on these really, really cold days.

Yup, another shi _ _ _ day in California,

MB

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MB,

Yes, shopping malls, grocery stores, Costcos are pretty crowded. However, the weather is beautiful and the scenery is great, mountains, oceans and the bay. - just so expensive to live there.

Spanky

Old 02-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
MB,

Yes, shopping malls, grocery stores, Costcos are pretty crowded. However, the weather is beautiful and the scenery is great, mountains, oceans and the bay. - just so expensive to live there.

Spanky
Exactly, Spanky. I live up against the Golden Gate National Reserve. We have breathtaking trails filled with deer, mountain lions and various types of birds. The trails lead up to the top of hills which give you a panaramic view of the pacific ocean. If you're at the perfect angle along with optimal weather conditions, one can see the Golden Gate bridge and Marin Headlands. Unfortunately, all of this beauty doesn't pay my mortgage or property taxes (ouch).
Old 02-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I was born and rasied in the greater SFO BA. And I , even as a native, saw the quality of life deterioriate. I had to leave due to am involuntary job transfer but I left 12 years ago and never regretted it.
It is time for popullation control. Over the last 200 years the population of the NE has exploded, then we all moved west and that got full then we moved north then we went south. Don't come to Florida. Wages are generally much lower. Opportunities are limited if you don't bring a metric ton of home equity with you or if you don't have a high demand degree and someone in your family needs a job, the pay scale is about 12 bucks an hour. Average household income in JAX is about 45K.
Don't badmouth prop 13. Saved me thousands on property taxes. You need to know its history: People before P.13 were living in their houses for 30 years then losing them to out of control property taxes levied by nutcase state and local governments. The PEOPLE did an end around move on the state government and capped property taxes to 1/2% per year increase without the concent of 80% of the state senate, the assembly and the governor.
Those organizations can't decide which direction the sun rises in so they probably won't be abl;e to raise property taxes.
California is an example of state welfare run amock where the people who make the decisions are removed from the consequences of their decisions.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All you other california people, please shut the heck up about the great weather and so forth, or all the dang texans and oregonians will be pouring in!

Its been in the low 70's here the last couple of days. That freezing 60 degree stuff is due back next week though
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #46

Spanky,
Cube-rat and
GPax7

Actually I agree with you 100% but I do enjoy gloating about some of the advantages occasionally.

We are fortunate enough that in our late 40s the house is paid for, we are centrally located so the congestion isn't as much of an issue and we are close if not already at FI. *Plus there are some family reasons for staying here.

But it does concern me that our kids will probably not be able to afford to live here. *Maybe if you are young and single it is OK for a few years or like me you have been here for a while. *But it just doesn't make sense if you are a young family.

And then you also have earth quakes, wild fires, land slides and floods during the rainy season, recurrent droughts . . . . . and you actually have to pay to live in this awfull place?

That should be adequate to keep the Texans back in Texas where they belong

MB *
Old 02-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
Spanky,
Cube-rat and
GPax7

That should be adequate to keep the Texans back in Texas where they belong*

MB *
And we are more than happy to stay put.

JG
Old 02-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Surprisingly, we're happy with that too.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #49

Very happy to be able to agree with you on something JG!
Old 02-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
And we are more than happy to stay put.

JG
"We"? Who is this "we" you're referring to JG? You're about as much a Texan as I am a Rhodes Scholar.

And you Californians don't worry about Texans moving to the Golden State. You priced us out of your RE market long ago.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

He's got a mouse in his pocket.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:07 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

One more fast question....
Several years ago, I confronted a burgler in my home in a suburb of SFO. I detained him against his will for the police but the whole time we were fighting, my concern was not for my own health and safety but for what the State would do to me if I were to detain him in such a manner as he couldn't leave until the ambulance got there.
They have since addressed that problem in Florida where I reside because you are no longer required to flee from a confrontation.
No, California is having serious problems from which they will never recover: As long as the illegal immigration influx continues unabated, and illegals can effect changes in local and state policy, California will continue to falter.
As a matter of fact, the US needs to get rid of that whole "Send me you huddled masses" policy.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #53

What is the question?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:51 AM   #54

It is supposed to snow in the Bay Area this weekend. Down to 2000 feet. Put the bike away! :P

Kramer
Old 02-17-2006, 08:24 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Maybe as low as 1000 feet I heard this morning.

Came down to below 800 feet about 7-8 years ago.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Freezing rain in DFW tonight/tomorow/maybe Sunday...

But then it was 80 the past two days... Texas weather!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #57

Currently at 6 degree in Minneapolis. Teens on Sunday and 20s on Monday. It's getting warm.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Spanky and all: Am so sorry. Should have asked the question. Does California still have the legal mentality where you have to demonstrate that you were in fear of bodily injury and possible loss of life to use a firearm for self or property protection ?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #59

While the high cost of the Bay Area certainly causes a lot of problems, I will say one nice thing is there generally isn't a lot of crime. You pretty much have to be an educated professional to afford to live here, and most crime is committed by your neighbors, so I feel very safe walking around at night in most areas up and down the Peninsula and even in the "seedier" areas of San Francisco. There are some places in the East Bay that are a bit iffy, but for the most part the Bay Area is a great place to feel free to move and be out.

You don't even need a gun to protect your property here 8)

Old 02-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #60

I agree with fireme that I would consider most areas safe.

Statistics-wise, San Jose is generally considered the safest large city (> 500K people) in the US. San Francisco has roughly twice the crime rate of San Jose, which I believe puts it below average safety-wise. Oakland is really bad, but I have never even visited there outside of the airport and I have lived here for over 10 years. A good friend of mine was recently robbed in SF, and she suffered a concussion. But that is just anecdotal, of course, what matters more is the stats.

San Francisco recently passed an ordinance that will require all private citizens (including former law enforcement, etc.) except for law enforcement to turn in their handguns to the authorities by April 1, I believe. I find this unbelievable, but then, that is why I don't live there. It was being challenged in court. I went out to eat in SF on Friday evening and I was reminded just how expensive things are there -- we ate at an average restaurant that charged 50% more than a superior restaurant nearer to me, but these were friends from out of town. Living wage laws, high rents, and anti-biz regs raise the cost of everything in SF.

Kramer