Join Early Retirement Today

Moving: When to change addresses online?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We will hit Florida sandy soil next Saturday, and might not have internet to the home for a couple days. So I am wondering if it would be better to change our address with all the credit card companies, etc. shortly before we depart, or just let them think we're still in MD till we have a computer set up down there.

I don't care to do all that stuff by smartphone, especially since the connection is not 100% reliable where we'll be living.

Your thoughts?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

When we moved in 2016, we just took our time to change them. Wait till the internet is up and running.

FYI--- renew your post office change of address at least once. The present address change timeframe is for 6 months--- had thought it was longer many years ago ago of course I just assumed!!!!!

We had a bill that finally caught up with us, in the first stages of collection, about 8 months after we moved. That's when I found out about the 6 month time frame.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We will hit Florida sandy soil next Saturday, and might not have internet to the home for a couple days. So I am wondering if it would be better to change our address with all the credit card companies, etc. shortly before we depart, or just let them think we're still in MD till we have a computer set up down there.

I don't care to do all that stuff by smartphone, especially since the connection is not 100% reliable where we'll be living.

Your thoughts?
Kind of a problem, I agree! You need to wait long enough so that mail sent to Florida would not be returned before you get there.

Maybe you could bookmark the URLs you need, and then change the addresses the night before you get on the road.

When I moved across town four years ago, I went to the post office and filled out one of their change-of-address forms. This was in their "Mover's Guide Packet" which also included some terrific coupons. Anyway, the form asked for a date at which the address change would be in effect, so I just listed the moving date.

BTW - - when I filled out that post office form, I accidently put in F's address (almost the same as mine, since our houses are next door to each other). Anyway, four years later he is still bringing me mail from that. The interesting thing is that 100% of what he brings me is either junk mail (mostly for older folks like AARP offers, hearing aid deals, or cremation services, but also credit card offers and more), or alumni magazines from private schools and universities I attended (which is essentially junk mail to me, too).

Oh, and I changed my address for SS online at that time, and they STILL have both addresses for me. I had to straighten that out on the phone earlier this year.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd probably do it before, just so you don't have any issues using the card when you first get down there, provided your address there is ready to receive mail. If not, it's probably fine to wait. I don't claim to know how the CCs detect hacked cards but a spending spree down in Florida, which would not be uncommon when you first move, may trigger something, and you wouldn't want to be dealing with that among everything else.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #5

Since the length of time it will take to get an internet connection in FL is an unknown (days? weeks? or shudder, months?) I'd be inclined to do it the old-fashioned way and do the change-of-address form at the post office.

Now, I still pay all that stuff the old-fashioned way by mail and checks for several reasons, the main one being that DW wouldn't have a clue how to deal with it if something happened to me. So that method would work for us.

Another reason we don't change is that so far, in our experience the post office has been much more reliable than any ISP we've ever had. Dropping out for a week at a time with no notice or apparent reason is not "reliable" or acceptable where I come from.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'd probably do it before, just so you don't have any issues using the card when you first get down there
If you call your credit card and tell them you will be in Florida, you won't have any problem using it there.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
If you call your credit card and tell them you will be in Florida, you won't have any problem using it there.
Of course, but why not eliminate that step and change your address since you'll have to do that anyway? Who needs yet another thing to do during a move?
Old 04-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
+1/ if you don't call your credit card company to advise you will be using the card in another state, the company may freeze your account but also contact you in the process. I know because it happened to me.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

Credit card fraud detection is much smarter these days. Whenever I've traveled in the past 10 years I've had zero issues suddenly having new charges in another state. Some credit cards companies are smarter than others.

Amex, and Capital One, for example, say, nope, you don't need to tell us anymore.
Others have an easy way to do so online:

https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-c...-notification/

As far as changing your billing address, sure do that anytime (and go paperless anyway so then it's really just a formality, and no worries about mis-directed paper).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You can put your mail on hold for IIRC up to 30 days. Maybe put your mail on hold starting next Monday and then a change of address in effect for Saturday would work for you. It's also nice not to deal with mail the last few days before a move I think.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Are you having mail forwarded? That will take care of bills getting to you. Then you have a year to change billing addresses with all providers.

You'll be able to find internet if you really need it - easy for a couple of hours, Starbucks or similar.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The Informed Delivery service from USPS might be useful for being alerted of mail still being delivered to your old address. It’s easy to forget a few senders of important mail during the moving process.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The Informed Delivery service from USPS might be useful for being alerted of mail still being delivered to your old address. It’s easy to forget a few senders of important mail during the moving process.
You won't be able to have Informed Delivery to your old address once you have moved. (Obviously the new owners wouldn't like that)
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You won't be able to have Informed Delivery to your old address once you have moved. (Obviously the new owners wouldn't like that)

Good point. I’m thinking during a tight window right around moving date. I’ve not experienced a move since signing up for ID so don’t know the details and how things coordinate with an official address change at USPS.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
+1/ if you don't call your credit card company to advise you will be using the card in another state, the company may freeze your account but also contact you in the process. I know because it happened to me.
International that I get, but domestically? I'd probably find another card. I bet I've used my Discover card in at least 2 dozen states in the last 20 years, with zero problems.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Most of our bills and payments (except for small contractors) are done electronically, so my main concern is having my home address/zip match the address/zip associated with various CC's.

For example, I notice that ALL gas stations now demand that you enter your zip code when you buy gas with a CC, and I just had a gas transaction canceled/had to go inside the store to pay because I accidentally mis-typed a digit on my Zip code so it did not match the one associated with the CC.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
For example, I notice that ALL gas stations now demand that you enter your zip code when you buy gas with a CC, and I just had a gas transaction canceled/had to go inside the store to pay because I accidentally mis-typed a digit on my Zip code so it did not match the one associated with the CC.
Not where I live.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I didn’t read your initial post carefully and see that you mentioned the card companies as the main concern.

I wondered why my ZIP was required at the pump after I moved and thought it may be due to differing tax rates in counties (my billing addy ZIP is in a different county than residence).

I’d probably stay with the old ZIP and address until after the move is over.

[ADDED] It wouldn’t hurt to carry a little extra cash during the move, just in case.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I didn’t read your initial post carefully and see that you mentioned the card companies as the main concern.

I wondered why my ZIP was required at the pump after I moved and thought it may be due to differing tax rates in counties (my billing addy ZIP is in a different county than residence).

I’d probably stay with the old ZIP and address until after the move is over.

[ADDED] It wouldn’t hurt to carry a little extra cash during the move, just in case.
Fraud prevention. And probably marketing on the side. Not taxes, you're going to pay whatever tax rate the pump is in.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
Not where I live.
Apparently it varies by cc and location. When I'm within the same county or so they don't want a home zip code, but farther than that the CC co. wants a zip code. Seems reasonable to me.

Tags
changing addresses, florida, internet, moving