Join Early Retirement Today

Mrs., Miss., and Ms.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Mrs., Miss., and Ms.

I am composing a response to feedback I received after concerning a potential employment opportunity. The woman with whom I am corresponding is in her late 20s and I am unsure as to her marital status, although I believe her to be unmarried.

Generally, I would address her as Ms. However, a female friend of mine (mid 20s) said that Ms. can be offensive to an unmarried younger women by implying that they are old enough to be married but have been unsucessful in landing a husband. However, to address a married woman as "Miss" can actually be taken as a compliment by implying that she still appears to be in her prime and looks young enough such that Mrs./Ms. is not appropriate.

I do not pretend to understand this distinction other than the technical (Mrs=married, Miss=single, Ms.=unknown) and feel that Ms. would be appropriate. However, I don't want to offend her. Any thoughts?

For purposes of context, the woman is an educated professional who is 5-7 years my senior.

Thanks.
landonew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO, for an adult woman, "Ms." is always appropriate unless you know the individual being referenced prefers either "Mrs." or "Miss".

For minor females, I'd probably still use "Miss" even though it is slightly presumptuous. It sounds weird to call a 10-year-old girl "Ms. Susie Jones."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thorny question. If she is an educated professional, are you sure she has not earned the credentials to be called Dr.? Do your research on that one.

Assuming not, then maybe you could begin the letter with all three:

Quote:
Mrs./Miss/Ms Jones,

Thank you for taking the time to interview me (etc etc, blah blah)

John Q. Landonew

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thorny question. I know some of my friends who would be offended by Miss because you are taking account their maritial status which should not be a factor in an job related matter. I would use Ms. or Hi or Hey you.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Thorny question. If she is an educated professional, are you sure she has not earned the credentials to be called Dr.? Do your research on that one.

Assuming not, then maybe you could begin the letter with all three:
Good point, and that would make it so easy. She has a JD, but not a PHD.

I like the Mrs./Miss/Ms. It covers all three and sounds respectful.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Thorny question. I know some of my friends who would be offended by Miss because you are taking account their maritial status which should not be a factor in an job related matter. I would use Ms. or Hi or Hey you.
Thanks for your response. I think that Hi/hey-you may be inappropriate in this situation. However, I appreciate your opinion on the maritial status assumption.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonew View Post
Good point, and that would make it so easy. She has a JD, but not a PHD.
Since we're into titles here, someone with a JD could be referred to as "Jane Doe, Esq." just as she could be "Ms. Jane Doe" or "Miss/Mrs./Ms. Jane Doe."

In this sense, the letter could be addressed to "Jane Doe, Esq." but the greeting would be "Mrs./Miss/Ms. Doe".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I just did some search on the internet and it looks like
Dear Ms. <lastname> seems to be the norm.
I live in the Silicon Valley and around here, probably Dear <firstname> especially if you have been talking to this person for a while.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
.... I would use Ms. or Hi or Hey you.
All I know of life I learned from Disney's "Bambi." "you can call me flower."

OTOH, just ask her (or an employee) which she prefers. BTW, I worked in an office where those modifiers were never used in letters or on envelops; no Ms., Miss, Mr., Mrs., and emphatically, no Esq. An exception was made for judges where "The Honorable" was used, but, of course, that doesn't designate sex.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I think that Hi/hey-you may be inappropriate in this situation. However, I appreciate your opinion on the maritial status assumption.
As you can see, the rule is that there are few (if any) hard and fast rules.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wiki sez:
Quote:
Unlike Miss and Mrs., however, Ms. is used properly of married, divorced, or unmarried women and therefore does not denote marital status. In the U.S., the Emily Post Institute states that Ms. is the default form of address for business correspondence with a woman.[2]
Also, per the footnote, see http://www.emilypost.com/everyday/forms_of_address.htm
Old 03-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do not pretend to understand this distinction other than the technical (Mrs=married, Miss=single, Ms.=unknown) and feel that Ms. would be appropriate. However, I don't want to offend her. Any thoughts?
It is "Ms." until she tells you otherwise or you see something different on her business card. Marital status is not public info in the business world.

You have all the right instincts.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I definitely would not use just "Miss Jones" or "Mrs. Jones", if you do not know her marital status.

I knew a female J.D. who went by "Dr. Jones" even when she was only beginning to work on her Ph.D. That was for professional reasons, though, since she was applying for grants and thought that granting herself the title would give her proposals more credibility. I suppose she had a point if J.D. stands for "Jurus Doctor".

Old 03-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I definitely would not use just "Miss Jones" or "Mrs. Jones", if you do not know her marital status.
I'd go farther than that: even if I *did* know her marital status, I would not use those titles unless I had personal knowledge that she preferred to be addressed as "Miss Jones" or "Mrs. Jones."

My wife, for example, prefers to be addressed as "Mrs." instead of "Ms.", so those who know of her preference could address her as "Mrs. Ziggyswife." But those who don't know of her preference should err on the safe side and address her as "Ms. Ziggyswife."
Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

On a side note, one of my friends was upset because her MIL sent her a card addressed to Mrs. John Doe instead of Ms. Jane Doe (or even Mrs. Jane Doe). I reminded her that was probably how she was brought up.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'd go farther than that: even if I *did* know her marital status, I would not use those titles unless I had personal knowledge that she preferred to be addressed as "Miss Jones" or "Mrs. Jones."

My wife, for example, prefers to be addressed as "Mrs." instead of "Ms.", so those who know of her preference could address her as "Mrs. Ziggyswife." But those who don't know of her preference should err on the safe side and address her as "Ms. Ziggyswife."
That's probably very good advice. Some married women prefer "Mrs" to Ms", or vice versa, but it is hard to predict what a given woman's response would be and if Emily Post says "Ms" is correct, that is pretty much that.

Personally, I always hated "Ms" because I felt like it assumed I was a feminist of the more strident, insisting type rather than the gentle feminist that I believe that I am. Getting my Ph.D. helped! Now I just think "Ms" means the letter is from a snail mail spammer.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's probably very good advice. Some married women prefer "Mrs" to Ms", or vice versa, but it is hard to predict what a given woman's response would be and if Emily Post says "Ms" is correct, that is pretty much that.

Personally, I always hated "Ms" because I felt like it assumed I was a feminist of the more strident, insisting type rather than the gentle feminist that I believe that I am. Getting my Ph.D. helped! Now I just think "Ms" means the letter is from a snail mail spammer.
Lot of PHDs on this site. I now know to refer to you as Dr. Want2retire... just so you know I am not spamming ya
Old 03-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I never use "esquire," too old fashioned for me. Ms. seems to be the most commonly used in legal correspondence these days. Mrs. is wrong. If someone called me Mrs. Martha's last name it would be weird, especially as I never changed my name years ago when I married. Miss is weird too, at least in the north.

Years ago when writing letters I decided that there was an easy way around all the title issues. I never put a salutation on my letters. The letter would be addressed to Jane Doe at xyz but the body of the letter would omit a salutation. I had my associates do the same thing. You can't make a mistake that way and no one ever notices the absence of a salutation.

My letter would look like:

Jane Doe
Attorney at Law
X,Y, Z firm
street address

Re: Notice of Default

I represent the United States of America. You are in default of your bailout agreement with the United States. . . . .

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

IMO:

You'd do her a favor by always using Ms and keeping her marriage status ambiguous. Young women, married or not, are kind of in a catch-22 because some employers don't like married young women because they might get pregnant, and some employers don't like unmarried young women because they aren't tied down.
Cruising2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising2022 View Post
some employers don't like married young women because they might get pregnant, and some employers don't like unmarried young women because they aren't tied down.
The stereotype as I've always heard it is that they prefer married men and single women -- married men because they are seen as more "responsible" and duty-bound to provide for their family (and perhaps past the young, drunk and stupid phase) and single women because they're seen as less likely to have family issues distracting her from her work.

Just more of that old "men as providers and women as nurturers" claptrap...