Join Early Retirement Today

MS mobile Office now free
Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #1

MS mobile Office now free

MS has announced a slimmed down version of mobile Office is now free. Microsoft: Now you can create, edit on Office mobile apps for free - CNET

Quote:
The software giant on Thursday unveiled a handful of changes to its Office software on smartphones and tablets running Apple and Google's operating systems, refreshing its Word, PowerPoint and Excel apps to make them friendlier for the mobile age.

The most notable change is that users of Apple's iPhone and its iPad tablet, or of devices running Google's Android operating system will be able to create and edit Office content for free. Before this, getting access to those capabilities required an Office 365 subscription, which starts at $6.99 a month.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the heads up. Though I see Microsoft is still on the fence, still not free if you want the 'good stuff' so it may backfire again. Only stripped down apps are free without subscription...

As usual Microsoft is the late adopter, Google Docs and Apple's Pages, Numbers & Keynote have been "free" without restrictions for quite a while. Though I used Office for decades, I've found the iOS apps to be as good or better, I'm used to them now. I would never have even tried the iOS apps had Office been free at the time.
Quote:
The rankings surge was triggered by announcements Thursday by Microsoft that it was moving the boundary line between free and paid on the Office for iPad apps. Previously, consumers without an Office 365 subscription could use the Office for iPad apps only to view documents. Under the new rules, consumers may now also create and edit documents, although features Microsoft labeled "advanced editing," as well as the unlimited OneDrive storage space, remained available only to Office 365 [subscription] customers.

Businesses must still pay if their employees want to use Office for iPad, Office on iPhones and Android smartphones, and almost certainly Office on Android tablets when that ships early next year.
http://www.computerworld.com/article...load-list.html

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I loved WordPerfect!! The product meet my needs and their examples had a sense of humor (at least for those in the NW and Utah). Lotus' early renditions were not great but later versions met my needs at the time.

Office today has so many bells and whistles that I would never use and frankly all their fancy formatting tools get in the way of preparing a simple document. My spreadsheet needs are similarly simple. I think if they offered a $50 product (not a rent a software program) where I could choose 2-3 simple renditions of Word, Excell & Outlook (where I am not required to store my documents/emails in the cloud) I would buy. Current offerings are just not worth the price.

If I were there marketing folks I would offer a basic product for a low price to preserve market share then offer upgrades for those who want more. They don't control that sector any more so get real.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

OK, so you don't get "advanced editing" with the free version. But for a few dollars more, the Backspace key will be turned on...
Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I rarely have to write anything that needs an office application so I no longer have a need for Office. Google Docs seems good enough and I have used it when needed. I have MS Skydrive so I tested their free online Word app (probably about what the free mobile app provides) and it seems OK also (the backspace key works). If I needed the advanced features I would probably still be working, God forbid. In that case I would either get Office or download one of the Open Office suites.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #6

The only MS Office product I use regularly is Word. My spreadsheet preference is still L123 and I'm reluctant to learn the current version of Office, as MS changes too easily and does not adequately value user investment in its products.

This announcement does probably represent the best opportunity to date to compare products for mobile users. I still do all of my word and spreadsheet stuff on the desktop, maybe the moment to migrate has finally arrived.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can see reading office documents on a fairly large screen mobile device, but not extensive edits or creation. The desktop with a full size keyboard is my choice, but I am nothing but a casual user in retirement, and never claimed the land speed record on a keyboard while working.

Also, free or not, there is this effect:

"Prowess Consulting is exploring this very question of productivity and user experience. We are finding that content created on one platform doesn’t always behave the same when viewed or edited on another platform. We call this phenomenon “content decay.” "

Prowess Consulting | Devices Still Matter: Prevent Content Decay in Microsoft Office Documents
Old 11-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I think if they offered a $50 product (not a rent a software program) where I could choose 2-3 simple renditions of Word, Excell & Outlook (where I am not required to store my documents/emails in the cloud) I would buy. Current offerings are just not worth the price.
+1000

But they don't, for the PC, so I am using Open Office which is free, nearly identical to MS Office, and has everything I want.

I'd pay the $50 if I could actually own (not rent) MS Office, just because they were the originator of the software. But they don't want my money, I suppose. Oh well.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What W2R said, except I wouldn't give a nickel to Microsoft ever again. Even for my iPad, there are numerous apps that handle all the MS file formats. Cheaply, if not free.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum