Join Early Retirement Today

Mtb'ers
Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mtb'ers

Any mountain bikers around? With the surf being bunk for weeks on end this summer, I needed to get the ticker pumping so I broke out my old rigid frame 26" mtb and proceeded to carve out a flat track on 1 acre of property I live on.

One thing led to another in terms of trying to upgrade my ride and finally it became apparent I "needed" a new bike that is up to modern standards. So I found a sweet Cannondale Trail SL2 29er on sale that fit the bill and have been riding every morning pretty much, when I am not surfing. And of course the new bike still needed to be cherried out with upgraded pedals, grips and saddle.

I feel like my skills have been progressing and wouldn't mind looking around the local hills for some trails soon. Just need to get a good helmet and probably some knee pads so I don't end up in the emergency room too often. That's one thing the water has over the dirt.

What do you all ride and where do you ride it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

As a long time cyclist (BMB), I have retained my preference for pavement, provided it is lightly traveled and mostly friendly. Rarer all the time.
Right now I have access to a nice paved trail system via ~ 1 1/2 mile dirt single track so I usually ride my trusty 25yr old hybrid bike.
When I travel the lonely roads of the west, I take the MB with dual purpose tires - ready for anything.
Great low impact sport when practiced with care.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a roadie, in large part due to the fact that I'm entirely too klutzy for single-track mtb'ing -- some of my most spectacular crashes have been while mtb'ing, and I had the bruises to show for it, heh. Where I live currently, I can ride directly from home on very good cycle-friendly roads and paved trails, w/o having to load up the bike & drive somewhere. DH & I also have touring bikes with fat(ter) tires, which are nice to take out on the bay levees near us.

That said, when DH & I relocate in a couple of years (give or take), maybe we'll have good reason to dust off our long-neglected mtbs.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Am getting too old for "mountains', but my Florida bike is a 1990 Offroad, Proflex2 which was 30 years ahead of its time...

MOMBAT: Proflex and Girvin Cycles History

Bought it for $5 and rebuilt it from scratch... spokes and all.

Elastomer Proflex rear suspension and a Girvin headset... a design that hasn't been equalled since. Imagine replacing a chain without using a master link. An oval power chainring, aluminum frame (before carbon fiber) and
a rear triangle designed to keep the back wheel on the ground. (see the article)

Favorite trail is the Withlacootchee State Trail from Inverness to Floral city... about all I can manage anymore. (no hills)...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

@imoldernu,
It looks like you also have an elastomer suspension stem. I still have one of those SoftRide Suspension stems on my ~1992 Miyata mountain bike. Rarely see these things anymore, but I still like mine.

-Wino
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #6

I also ride the roads for exercise and tour for vacation. Just got back from a three day trip around the northern end of Lake Champlain (NY,VT Quebec). That was a great trip. Burlington, VT is a great biking town. My DW keeps the blog and here is the link to our latest multi-week trip crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Finetastic Adventure 2013, by Marti Fine

If you love bicycling, you might enjoy self-contained touring. A great way to vacation. (Even if you do not like to bike. You get to eat all you want and still lose weight You can get great maps and information from Adventure Cycling.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
As a long time cyclist (BMB), I have retained my preference for pavement, provided it is lightly traveled and mostly friendly.
If by BMB you mean Boston-Montreal-Boston, that's hardcore.

I do a lot of weekend road/fire trail riding and vacation touring. I just rode from Boston to Niagara Falls and had a great time. Bike touring makes life simple; eat, ride, eat, sleep, repeat.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #8

Acquired a vintage Specialized Epic a year ago to provide some cardio in lieu of running since plantar fasciitis crimped me bad for ~9 months, now can run again but really enjoy the mb. I had a road bike but gave it up several years ago along with the motorcycle, too many idiots on the road. Yeah I have some bruises and scrapes from the trails, but I'll gladly risk a broken wrist or collar bone vs. getting gished by someone pulling a trailer with wheels that protrude a foot beyond their pickup. We're fortunate that we live about 3 miles from our reservoirs that have hiking and MTB trails all around them; total of ~ 30 miles of which ~ 15 allow bikes. I try to MTB about 14 miles 2-3x a week along with several runs. Keeps me sane. Also allows me to eat what I want.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
I also ride the roads for exercise and tour for vacation. Just got back from a three day trip around the northern end of Lake Champlain (NY,VT Quebec). That was a great trip. Burlington, VT is a great biking town. My DW keeps the blog and here is the link to our latest multi-week trip crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Finetastic Adventure 2013, by Marti Fine

If you love bicycling, you might enjoy self-contained touring. A great way to vacation. (Even if you do not like to bike. You get to eat all you want and still lose weight You can get great maps and information from Adventure Cycling.
That is quite an impressive 'resume' that you have on CGOAB. We have done some 2-4 day ventures and plan our first long trip in the spring.

We have MTBs but our trails here are quite a way from the house. We prefer to ride our the front door and ride back in a few hours later so we use road and touring bikes primarily.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Cooked;1358138]That is quite an impressive 'resume' that you have on CGOAB. We have done some 2-4 day ventures and plan our first long trip in the spring.

Where are you going for your long trip, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Where are you going for your long trip, if you don't mind me asking?
We plan to start from the house in Tucson and go north to the ACA Southern Tier and go as far as New Orleans. Two important family stops in Kerrville and Austin. We plan to take Amtrak home and be home by 6/1. Then off to the Washington/Oregon coast in July.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
If by BMB you mean Boston-Montreal-Boston, that's hardcore.
BMB - before mountain bikes

I was pretty hardcore in my younger years with many long distance tours - coast to coast, border to border and beyond into Canada north of Jasper, down the west coast, The rocky mountains, and many, many roads in between.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #13

The Oregon coast was one of my favorite rides. You may already know about Salt Lick BBQ in Austin. During our southern tier ride, it was right up there for one of our favorite food stops. If you want beer, it is byob. Enjoy!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #14

Does anyone listen to music while you ride? Obviously, the road is one thing, and I tend to like the environmental sounds but on my private track, I think I might start listening to something to buss it up a bit.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can access the back roads from my house too on a road bike. I ride ~15 miles each time I get to go. I try to go often but other things tend to get in the way. When we go to the Lake we have hybrid bicycles there and we ride more leisurely for 10 miles at a time. I just enjoy riding and it does keep the pounds off for sure.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Does anyone listen to music while you ride? Obviously, the road is one thing, and I tend to like the environmental sounds but on my private track, I think I might start listening to something to buss it up a bit.
Not while I am biking because I want to be aware of my surroundings for safety. However I walk on a dead-end road for 3 miles just about every day and I love listening to my favorite tunes then. I don't like walking without my tunes.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Mountain biker checking in here... figured I had better speak up before the roadies overrun the place!

I am a Cannondale fan and ride a 2008 Rize. Great all around MTB. I prefer climbing over downhill and my riding terrain reflects that.

I see your bike is a hard tail... nice and light. I love my full suspension setup as the terrain I ride is never smooth.

When in AZ, I ride the rocky trails of the desert. Love the little climbs and various technical features.

When in Utah, I ride the many trails at elevation. One of my favorite rides/challenges is the Little Cottonwood trail. This is an out and back 3.5 mile ride (one way) with 1300 foot elevation gain. I use this trail as my cardio development trail. I sometimes post my results on the workout thread.

Basically, I ride this trail 4 times a week all summer long with the simple goal of getting to the top as quickly as possible. This summer, my first ride was about 49 minutes. My last ride was just under 35 minutes with an average heart rate of 151.

DW also rides and rides the same bike. Together, we will ride many other scenic and enjoyable trails around Utah; such as Wasatch Crest and Mid-Mountain (Deer Valley).

Don' know much about the 29 inchers. I keep my bikes at least 10 years, so I don't have any need to look at the new toys. Besides, my current bike has 4 inch shock travel (front and back) and can handle all the rocks, roots, lumps and bumps I am willing to attack.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

DW just bought a Santa Cruz Ultralight 29er, and I have an older Santa Cruz Blur. We ride a range from flat rail trails to more technical single track. Our recently purchased future retirement home is across the street from an access trail, which leads to a canal trail, which leads to a river trail, which leads to - well, you get the idea.

Now, if only I could carry my kayak on the bike to get to the river...
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-tirement View Post
DW just bought a Santa Cruz Ultralight 29er, and I have an older Santa Cruz Blur. We ride a range from flat rail trails to more technical single track. Our recently purchased future retirement home is across the street from an access trail, which leads to a canal trail, which leads to a river trail, which leads to - well, you get the idea.

Now, if only I could carry my kayak on the bike to get to the river...
Options do exist...here is an example Kayak Trailer | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My big dummy only carries groceries...so far.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Good question. I do, but keep the volume pretty low. My MTBing is on single trails, fair amount of curves and moguls, and I always worry about someone coming head on around/over a blind spot, even though in a 1-2 hour ride I usually only see one or two other riders (I deliberately only MTB on weekdays to enjoy the solitude - one of those retirement benefits). There are some younger riders out there who are really into the speed and if they came around some of the spots there'd be trouble, hence I try to listen for them as well as look.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote