Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2009, 05:19 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
He broke seven ribs, was able to ride home and figured he needed a pain med or two? Holy crap...he is one strong, tough dude.
What she said. I cracked the cartilage where the ribcage comes together at the chest once and remember how difficult it was to just breathe let alone do any lifting. But then again, what choice did he have? Very lucky fellow.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Husband was about my age now, when he started muttering about getting a motorcycle. Then he mentioned that Ex Wife had always put her foot down and not let him get one. I said, "We have finally found the one thing that Ex Wife and I have in common." I think he was just testing the waters, since he didn't raise the subject again after that...normally he is quite stubborn...

One tough guy you have there, Cattus. Smart, too, wearing full gear like that. Best wishes for his full recovery (and your continued patience with him).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Glad he is okay !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks much. He is home resting. It is hard to get good sleep in the hospital. Just before he left the hospital we were informed that in addition to the busted ribs he cracked one of his thoracic vertebrae. The full impact is hitting him and I think he is becoming a little gun shy about traveling alone in the boonies. Not a bad thing that.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad he is recovering. Also glad he wears full armor and helmet. Sometimes its a pain, especially on very hot days, but its a lifesaver.

I used to ride with armored gloves, full face helmet, motorcycle boots and a Vanson leather jacket. It was HOT. But once my brother crashed his bike and flew thru the air and hit a tree with his face. Luckily he was wearing a helmet and got off with a broken jaw.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I was never able to ride without a helmet and face shield. My eyes would water like crazy, and the wind was always trying to rip the glasses off my face.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Cattus, I, too am relieved to hear he is healing.
I believe that more people should know about personal Epirb devices (like what could have saved the lives of those NFL players last month).
Having worked in the sailing industry when the big 406 Epirbs came into popular use, I was thrilled when the feds determined that a smaller handheld unit was approved for terrestrial use.
I sincerely hope that you will consider getting one of these for any of those "off the beaten path" adventures. They work! We carried an ACR EPIRB on our sailboat and I consider them a necessity when venturing offshore--much better than a cell phone that doesn't tell SAR where you are, or a radio that no one else knows how to operate!

ACR TerraFix™ PLB
ACR TerraFix PLB from their website:
Accidents happen every day in the outdoors, whether you fall out of a tree stand, break a leg during a hike, or roll over on an ATV. In the outdoors, an everyday accident instantly can become a life threatening situation, and rescues may take days or weeks if you're not prepared.
Why wait days being stranded in the outdoors hoping someone will find you? Put the power in the palm of your hand with the TerraFix™ 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon. Now you can turn that life threatening situation into a successful rescue story.
It's as easy as pushing a button, and with an internal GPS receiver (P/N 2798.4 only), the TerraFix™ will acquire your GPS position and transmit it along with your personalized identifier code through the SARSAT satellites instantly alerting SAR forces that you need help, immediately!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terraimageL.jpg (73.2 KB, 2 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am so glad that he is ok.....maybe while he is recovering, you can sell the bike and buy a convertible.....same freedom, but you can join him too!

Disclaimer: I love motorcycles and absolutely love Harleys, but I would not get on a bike today at all.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote