Join Early Retirement Today

Much to be thankful for.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Much to be thankful for.

It has been a scary few days. Dear Husband, the love of my life, is currently in the hospital as a result of a motorcycle accident. He got off lucky when all is said and done. He was in the Jersey Pine Barrens...read no cell phone signal ....when he wiped out while taking a turn. Instead of landing in the ditch he was headed for he dropped the bike on the road. He was doing 60 mph. He broke seven ribs. He managed to get the bike up some how and was able to ride it out of there, a two hour trip, to get home. He did not think he was hurt that badly and asked for his pain meds and muscle relaxers that he had been prescribed previously. He complained of a pain on his right side and having difficulty breathing. I took one look at him and said no dice on the meds and got him the the ER.

He was wearing a full faced helmet and armored gear. Thank God. The nurse at the hospital took one look at the helmet and said you know your husband should be dead. I knew that also. The helmet and gear did its job.

Hubby like to go off the beaten track. Needless to say I am not cool with that. My sister told me that there are hand held GPS units available. Needless to say we are getting one. All I can think of is him being hurt worse than what he was and not being able to get on the bike or the bike not able to run. In any event he will be laid up for the next couple of months. Plenty of time to think about this all.
This was a close call. Too close.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Whew!! What a spill! I'm so glad that your DH managed to get out of there, and that he is going to be all right.

The GPS sounds like a good idea, and maybe he could find a buddy to ride with.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry for your bad news. The important part is he is OK now. Sounds painful for both of you.
I guess I am a little like Hubby in liking to go off the beaten path. Don't know what else to do but take precautions or a buddy. Can't stop living. Stuff sometimes happens.
Again, sorry.

Free to Canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the buddy idea is a great one. Glad he is going to be OK.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #5

Glad he is recuperating. I could only imagine what a scary thing this is for you.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cattusbabe, What a close call. I'm so thankful he's OK. I've been with my DH, also the love of my life, for about 4 decades. I can't even imagine what I'd be feeling if I was in your place tonight. Guess I'd just be thanking my lucky stars we were still together.

Here's wishing a speedy recovery to your dude. Keep the faith.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sounded like he was on a dirt bike, and got carried away. I like to explore the AZ National Forest with my dirt bike, but I ride with my son. That way, if one of us gets hurt, the other can go for help. I don't know about the road your DH rode on, but the rocky trails that I usually go on require careful navigating at 25mph or less. It's a long way to crawl out for help.

Another reason to go slow is that you get to relax to enjoy the scenery. It's hard to enjoy nature when your adrenaline is pumping, and the engine is screaming in your ears.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
..............My sister told me that there are hand held GPS units available............... .
Glad he is OK. here is the Spot GPS unit

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Frightening story--hope he recovers completely. Once he's all better, then you can kill him .
Old 03-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Frightening story--hope he recovers completely. Once he's all better, then you can kill him .

Women got to love em.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
gone traveling

Glad to hear this had a happy ending. All the best to both of you.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Holy crap. I'm glad everything worked out OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Once he's all better, then you can kill him .
I was just thinking the same thing. Sounds like a classic case of Boomeritis. It'll be interesting to see how the incident affects his desire to hit the road again.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #13

Thank you all so much. Bestwifeever, the thought did cross my mind. travlelover bless you I will check out this site.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Holy crap. I'm glad everything worked out OK.

I was just thinking the same thing. Sounds like a classic case of Boomeritis. It'll be interesting to see how the incident affects his desire to hit the road again.
He will ride again but is really thinking of modifying how he does it. He is really shaken up by this whole thing. No false bravado. That is a good thing.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Scary stuff. I'm glad he's going to be OK. Nords called it boomeritis. Sounds right to me. It sucks to learn, but we're not kids anymore. You can still do the stupid stuff, it just takes a lot longer to recover from it. Give him our best wishes for a quick recovery.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

He broke seven ribs, was able to ride home and figured he needed a pain med or two? Holy crap...he is one strong, tough dude.

My DH has put about eight thousand miles on his bike since he bought it last May. No spills yet. I still worry about him, but he loves it. I smile, say have a safe ride and then I exhale when he gets home safely.

I hope your hubby recovers quickly.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, bad news but could have been worse.

I must admit when I sold my last motorcycle a couple of years ago, it was not without a small sense of relief. I am glad he will come out OK, and wish you both the best.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
My sister told me that there are hand held GPS units available. Needless to say we are getting one.
Maybe not so easy, especially after he is feeling better. (as a stubborn old man, I have some experience in such things).

In any event, I am glad that he made it home and hope he makes a full recovery.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
He broke seven ribs, was able to ride home and figured he needed a pain med or two? Holy crap...he is one strong, tough dude.
I blame that SuperBowl commercial showing the guy mishaps followed by the claim "I'm good, I'm good!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #20

Thanks again folks. This really helps. DH is a big guy 6'8" tall, 270 lbs so I think that helps him some times getting out of scrapes. Probably was why he was able to lift the bike up with one good arm. Had to be adrenalin at work there also. You guys get some crazy strength when stressed.

But his is 67 years old and a diabetic among other health issues so he is not superman. I know doing the hover wife bit is not the way to go...... Well, we will work it out. We have plenty of time.....fortunately.