Join Early Retirement Today

Multi-Position Ladders, ‘greatest thing since sliced bread’
Old 07-19-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Multi-Position Ladders, ‘greatest thing since sliced bread’

In a new house with high ceilings, and very little space to store ladders. In my old house I had three ladders (all but one left behind), and they didn’t serve as many purposes as my one new multi-position ladder. It’s a step ladder, an extension ladder, a stairway ladder (unequal legs), a 90 degree ladder (really handy!) and a scaffold - all variable height! Still light enough to lug around, and adjustment is easy and very secure.

Best ladder I’ve ever owned without question. Way more versatile and useful than previous “multi-position ladders.”

My one old (Werner folding step/extension) ladder is going to AmVets.

Just sharing for anyone who might be in the market.

Here’s the exact one I bought https://gorillaladders.com/product/glmpx-22-gla-mpx22/
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 06FCFF7D-9406-4BAA-A5C9-E842CC65A19C.jpeg (617.1 KB, 76 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I thought this thread was going to be about bonds. LOL.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think I will get one for my daughter who just bought a house.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

They are good from a flexibility standpoint. I find them quite heavy though. Especially one that is a practical length for high ceilings etc.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
They are good from a flexibility standpoint. I find them quite heavy though. Especially one that is a practical length for high ceilings etc.
The one I bought will reach 22' as an extension ladder and 13'2" as a step ladder (more than enough for 12' ceilings). It only weighs 40 pounds, and it's less than 6' long folded. I am finding that very manageable. I've used it all over the house in several configurations, and it's outstanding to me!

Old 07-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #6

Multi configuration tools tend to be less than great. The old saying, Jack of all trades, Master of none comes to mind. Problem is that a typical home owner doesn’t have the need often enough to purchase single configuration equipment for every task, nor the room to store it. I’m sure a Leatherman tool is not the best knife or pliers or what ever, but it fits in you pocket and gets the job done. These ladders are like that. I liked mine but left it at the house I moved from a few years back. It was a good tool, but I found the steps to be very uncomfortable. I may take a look at this one. I bought mine decades ago. Maybe they’re better now. Hopefully they have one at the store I can physically check out.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How is it a scaffold? I love our Werner platform ladder. We recently bought a house with very high ceilings, so I bought a second, taller ladder. Unfortunately I didn’t measure very well. It’s too tall to use the platform in the main areas where we need it and not tall enough to reach the very high ceilings in the living room. It’s also really heavy! I’m trying to decide if I should keep it, for the odd job where it will fit (mostly outdoors) or return it and get one that’s a better fit.

If it weren’t so big and heavy I’d for sure return it! TBH, I’m scared to death every time I get on it.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #8

What is the weight rating for the ladder? Basic ladder weight load ratings are <225#, I go 230-235#, and give me a can of paint and I'm well over the limit.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

What is different between this one and your old one?

I agree they are useful, but this looks similar to the one I bought years ago, and I wish I would have spent the extra $ for the better model that I saw. Mine (and it looks like this one?), takes two hands to lock/unlock the hinge, one hand on each side for each separate lock. I've found that to be a real pain sometimes, I have to fiddle to get both locked in or out.

The higher $ one had a single handle that went across for both, so a one handed operation. If I were buying new, or if I used this ladder more than I do, I'd get the single hand operation model.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #10

I have one as well and love it. It was recommended to me by a former landlord. I gave away my step ladder and extension ladder after I got it.

Ours is heavy. Considering what I paid though (99 Canuck Kopeks) that is only about a dollar per pound of aluminium... lol

Ours separates into two twin frames so that it can be a scaffold as well (with the addition of boards)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The one I bought will reach 22' as an extension ladder and 13'2" as a step ladder (more than enough for 12' ceilings). It only weighs 40 pounds, and it's less than 6' long folded. I am finding that very manageable. I've used it all over the house in several configurations, and it's outstanding to me!
For me 40 pounds is too much. Maybe one of those multi-position ladders that are lighter?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have two multi-position ladders with 4 segments that fold into an M shape. They can fold out to an inverted V, or straighten out to a simple ladder that is 14'.

Their weight is not too bad and they are quite versatile, but when straightened out can be difficult to maneuver due to the weight compared to a simple extension ladder. Because of that, I still have an old-style 22' extension ladder which is lighter. Telescoping the extension ladder is much easier than erecting a long and heavy multi-position ladder from a horizontal position.

To answer an earlier poster, for scaffolding they are opened to an inverted U as shown below. Mine are different brands, but work the same.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Our multi-pos ladder is pretty much the only thing I inherited from my dad. It is relatively heavy. It gets used a few times a year when I clean out the gutters.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
What is the weight rating for the ladder? Basic ladder weight load ratings are <225#, I go 230-235#, and give me a can of paint and I'm well over the limit.
375 pounds!

Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #15

It looks like a very good tool.
Living in a condo I wouldn't need one, but I love the telescoping ladder I bought when we moved here. The guy who did our home inspection had one and I was so impressed I went right out and got one. It has saved the day for me many times in the last few years. Along with a lightweight fiberglass stepladder I'm set.

Xtend-and-Climb-12-5-ft-Telescoping-Aluminum-Extension-Ladder
Old 07-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I bought a Little Giant 22' at woot.com a few years ago. The specs say it weights 39 pounds. Trust me, this is not only 39 pounds. You'll learn what I mean. It's an awkward weight, and heavy to drag around.

It's very handy in it's flexibility but I kept both my step ladder and extension ladder as they are much easier to haul around if they will work. There are some situations where this multi-function ladder can't be beat though.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What is different between this one and your old one?

I agree they are useful, but this looks similar to the one I bought years ago, and I wish I would have spent the extra $ for the better model that I saw. Mine (and it looks like this one?), takes two hands to lock/unlock the hinge, one hand on each side for each separate lock. I've found that to be a real pain sometimes, I have to fiddle to get both locked in or out.

The higher $ one had a single handle that went across for both, so a one handed operation. If I were buying new, or if I used this ladder more than I do, I'd get the single hand operation model.
This was my old one below. It wasn't nearly as versatile, or as stable. And the locking mechanism took two hands, it was a PITA, and it was easy to pinch yourself badly.

The newer style, like the Gorilla I bought it way more versatile, easy to use and the locks and hinges are a breeze by comparison. I'm not sure you can fully appreciate it without using one, I watched a couple YouTube reviews and looked at them at Home Depot a couple times before buying (they're not cheap) - and I've been thrilled with it having done several jobs around the house.

I looked and it appears Werner doesn't even sell the old folding model below that I'm getting rid of, they're offering something like the Gorilla but the hinges and locks are hokey by comparison.

Not for everyone I'm sure, but for a homeowner who doesn't have room for several ladders, it's the cats pajamas to me.

http://gallery.thecrossbowstore.com/...ucts/40332.jpg

Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have "The World's Greatest Ladder", similar to the one the original post. I love it...it's a step ladder, extension ladder, and stairway ladder. At full extension it's 17' but folds up to fit in the trunk of my car. Another added bonus is that the ends (legs) flare out a bit which provides a more stable base.

It's a good 40 pounds or so but the weight isn't an issue for me.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #19

There's a nice Little Giant multi ladder with a handrail and platform top extension that I've had my eye on. I actually duct taped 2" PVC pipes to the sides of DS's ladder (Werner multi) to use as hand rails in the step ladder position last year. I need that extra stability when I'm near the top of the ladder. The ladder itself is very stable. The price at Costco went crazy high last year so I need a super sale to consider it again. The weight of the ladder was a drawback.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

First time I ever used one of these was in 1993 (Little Giant). We carried them on board the airplanes to check engine intakes/exhausts/etc and they were amazing. They are a bit on the heavy side, though and could be a pain getting in and out of the crew entrance door. I have had one ever since buying my first home.