Join Early Retirement Today

Multimeter Case - Do I Really Need One?
Old 01-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Multimeter Case - Do I Really Need One?

Thinking of buying a case for my multimeter as 1) got tired to taking in and out the tight original box and 2) haven't spent all my gift cards from Christmas yet.

As, I was browsing, started to ask myself, do I really need a case? In other words, are are they so fragile that a case is needed for protection? Or is a case mainly for organization and vanity?

I did go away from the original tight box and at this moment am using a cardboard box box that I saved from a previous hard drive purchase. Actually the cardboard box fits quit nicely as a poor man's multimeter container .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #2

I use a lot of those Glad containers to organize things like that. Not too good for transporting, but good for putting on the shelf or on a drawer.

https://www.glad.com/food-storage/co...ge-containers/

Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

I don't have a case for mine, I just leave it on a shelf in a basement cabinet. It did come with a rubber case and I leave it in that, but if it didn't have one I wouldn't bother to go buy one.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've got three of them and they all are in my "electronic" instruments drawer. (A large drawer in one of my roll around tool boxes.) None are in separate boxes and no problems, so far.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

No you do not, I have 3 meters, 1 in a case. it gets used the least.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #6

I have a case for my good one, a Fluke 115, but not all the other cheapies. I keep some jumpers with alligator clips in there too in case I want to monitor with hands off.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Thinking of buying a case for my multimeter as 1) got tired to taking in and out the tight original box and 2) haven't spent all my gift cards from Christmas yet.

As, I was browsing, started to ask myself, do I really need a case? In other words, are are they so fragile that a case is needed for protection? Or is a case mainly for organization and vanity?

I did go away from the original tight box and at this moment am using a cardboard box box that I saved from a previous hard drive purchase. Actually the cardboard box fits quit nicely as a poor man's multimeter container .
depends. Most modern multi-meters are made to with stand abuse. Even pretty cheap ones hold up pretty well. Some of the older ones (non-digital) VOM were less tolerant to abuse with their analog movement. Although old simpson meters stood up well too.

I would say if you have accessories that would fit in the case, then maybe get a case. Otherwise not. I've not used a case that I can recall.

And I'm not going to figure out who has more multi-meters.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found many 'cases' for various stuff like this at my local thrift store. I'm sure they weren't intended for meters, probably for an electric shaver or other device, but fits.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Here's what I use right now. Just used shipping box for a hard drive. Does fit pretty nicely though. As I wouldn't want a case that's crammed too tight with stuff. Yet, at the same time, a present splurge may be nice too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meter box.JPG (474.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's what I use right now. Just used shipping box for a hard drive. Does fit pretty nicely though. As I wouldn't want a case that's crammed too tight with stuff. Yet, at the same time, a present splurge may be nice too.
Looks like a winner to me!
Old 01-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Yep. Looks good. I see it as more of something to keep everything together rather than a protection of the meter.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

After thinking this over, being a Christmas gift card and all, decided to go ahead and buy a meter case. When it arrives, will see if I like or go back to the cardboard box.

If I keep the case, sure I can use the cardboard box for something else. Not going to get rid of something as useful as that .
Old 01-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I don't do anything requiring high precision so I have these free Horrible Fright meters all over the place.

Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, toolbox coupons - 7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER
Old 01-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #14

I'm glad my Fluke 87 came in a rubberized outer case, as it has been dropped so many times onto concert floors I lost count.

Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I don't do anything requiring high precision so I have these free Horrible Fright meters all over the place.

Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, toolbox coupons - 7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER
"Horrible Fright" . Nice punning.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I'm glad my Fluke 87 came in a rubberized outer case, as it has been dropped so many times onto concert floors I lost count.

That protective case looks nice!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #17

Quote:
That protective case looks nice!
Yes it is and it bounces well.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #18

My multimeters (including my apparently indestructible 25 year old Fluke) live in a drawer in one of the rollaways in my garage. A case would just be one more thing to open before use. I have a more recent no-name clamp meter that has a lot more capability than the Fluke, but for ordinary DVM measurements in whatever ugly conditions my garage / machine shop can conjure the Fluke is still my favorite.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #19

I think I have maybe 5 different multimeters, including my faithful Simpson 260. My good DMM was a really nice kit (sabtronics) that I built in the late '70's that included true RMS AC readings. Very special for the era. I did have to replace the LCD display once due to some defective segments. I also have a couple of the free HF meters and one that I bought at a hamfest maybe 10 years back. The hamfest meter has a soft outer cover similar to the Fluke shown earlier. The HF are really cr@p, but they serve a purpose. In that case, you get more than you pay for, for sure. Anyway, they are all shoved into a single steel drawer in my workbench, one piled on top of the other. No cases and no cardboard boxes. They've been there for over 12 years and still work when I remember to replace the batteries. Cases are for sissy's
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I think I have maybe 5 different multimeters, including my faithful Simpson 260.
That baby is retro. I've gotten in arguments with old engineers saying my 8 digit, 0.002% accurate meter is junk because their analog meter is rock steady, as they measure a 25+ gig ohm resistor in a room with big electric motors and florescent lights.

2017 dry run spending: 2018 accelerate debt elimination: 2019 RV procurement & 1MY begins: 6/19 DW last month went early: 9/19 start cross country loop: 1/20 first reinforcements arrive. 6/20 sell business or shut doors. 9/20 begin globe trot: 4/26 401K reinforcement.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote