Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Museum of flight versus future of flight for aerospace-engineer-student-to-be
Old 08-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: seattle
Posts: 42
Museum of flight versus future of flight for aerospace-engineer-student-to-be

Hello
A family member of mine is visiting to check out UW's school of engineering. He has done quite well with his early community college - advanced math and science and really wants to study aerospace engineering (he is just starting his second year).

Would either of the museums be an interest to him at that level? - I'm assuming the future of flight in mulkilteo would be better?

Also - any chance anyone have any pointers for him? He is in a state without good/great engineering and at his state college would likely just end up with a mechanical engineering degree. Would he then really have to get a master's to do work in aerospace? That is one of the big reasons he is looking out of state (and he just doesn't want to stay where he is at).

Went to community college first for financial reasons - not because of grades, etc.
__________________

newtoseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

UW
Old 08-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 409
UW

Sounds like a bright future ahead.

I think either museum would be great. The Boeing Flight Museum is at a Smithsonian level and it digs deep into the earliest days of Boeing.

Not a tip, but an endorsement; I can tell you that Boeing and the UW are partners in trying to recruit new engineers in the Pacific Northwest. I think he would be hard pressed to find a better aerospace engineering school than the UW. Also, it will be easier to intern with Boeing if he is already going to school in their backyard.

My Dad is a retired aerospace engineer with Boeing (went to UW). He has many fond memories except for the daily commute.

Good luck to him.
__________________

oneill225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoseattle View Post
Hello
A family member of mine is visiting to check out UW's school of engineering. He has done quite well with his early community college - advanced math and science and really wants to study aerospace engineering (he is just starting his second year).

Would either of the museums be an interest to him at that level? - I'm assuming the future of flight in mulkilteo would be better?

Also - any chance anyone have any pointers for him? He is in a state without good/great engineering and at his state college would likely just end up with a mechanical engineering degree. Would he then really have to get a master's to do work in aerospace? That is one of the big reasons he is looking out of state (and he just doesn't want to stay where he is at).

Went to community college first for financial reasons - not because of grades, etc.
Willing to let them move in with you to establish residency?

"The Washington National Guard can pay up to 100% of your college tuition. If you are a WA resident and attending a WA school, you can qualify for a State Tuition Waiver at UW, WSU, EWU, CWU, and WWU."

https://gowaguard.com/service/the-re...or-school.html
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 9,623
I think the Museum is better myself. IIRC, the future of flight is very interesting, but and one gets to see how the planes are built. However, the Museum is a #1 class act. They even have one of the old 'flying cars" and a SR51 blackbird. Very cool.

Oh, they also have the Space Shuttle trainer. It's a huge mock-up of the Shuttle and again very cool. I think you can make an appt. to sit in the trainer and 'fly' the Shuttle, but you should check on that ahead of time.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Beldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 441
Take him to both museums, they're worth it. Plus, the Boeing plant tour is something anyone would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Oh, they also have the Space Shuttle trainer. It's a huge mock-up of the Shuttle and again very cool. I think you can make an appt. to sit in the trainer and 'fly' the Shuttle, but you should check on that ahead of time.
DW & I attended adult space camp in the 90s and were each shuttle commander in our separate classes. As much as we tried, the software would not allow us to fly the shuttle into the hangers during landing

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 698
I'm out here at NAVAIR. Not all of our engineers are aerospace. A good chunk are mechanical, electrical, computer science and systems. Good luck. Many paths to the same destination.
__________________
-Big Dawg-FI since 9/2010. Failed ER in 2015. New target 2020.-

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 777
The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum is a must see, but for a hard core airplane nut the absolute best I've been to is the National Museum of the USAF at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton. Some utterly unique and remarkable aircraft there. I wandered around for hours with my jaw on my chest...
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
Retch The Grate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain View
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I think the Museum is better myself. IIRC, the future of flight is very interesting, but and one gets to see how the planes are built. However, the Museum is a #1 class act. They even have one of the old 'flying cars" and a SR51 blackbird. Very cool.

Oh, they also have the Space Shuttle trainer. It's a huge mock-up of the Shuttle and again very cool. I think you can make an appt. to sit in the trainer and 'fly' the Shuttle, but you should check on that ahead of time.
It's actually a Lockheed M-21 Blackbird. My favorite plane in their collection.

The Museum of Flight is wonderful. When I lived in Renton I would take any out of state visitors to it. When I've been back to Seattle now that I live in California, I've been on two separate trips to the museum.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Ed_The_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the City of Subdued Excitement
Posts: 5,420
Museum of Flight! If you have an engineer's bone in your body, the SR-71 will raise the hairs on the back of your neck.
__________________
I have outlived most of the people I don't like and I am working on the rest.
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Moderator
samclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 14,316
I love airplanes and air museums. I would like to find a museum that does a good job of explaining each artifact, especially the design tradeoffs and compromises made, unique construction methods, etc. While the outside of a plane can be beautiful, the stuff under the skin can be more interesting. Too few museums remove some panels so visitors can see the structure, too few have those great moving models of engines with cutaways showing the valve train, etc. I really appreciate exhibits that get a little deeper into the guts of the planes, and I don't see those types of museums/exhibits very often.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 9,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
It's actually a Lockheed M-21 Blackbird. My favorite plane in their collection.
.

Thanks for the correction. It is an amazing aircraft.
__________________

__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pics from museum village in ny mathjak107 Other topics 2 08-11-2009 09:03 AM
55 retired Navy and currently working aerospace stephenson Hi, I am... 12 07-06-2009 03:16 PM
museum/zoo/etc memberships - what do you have? retiringat50 Life after FIRE 11 01-26-2008 07:16 AM
Marine museum FinallyRetired Travel Information 6 10-07-2007 11:17 PM
Not all investments make $$$~Success/Failure $$ museum mickeyd Other topics 2 12-09-2005 01:58 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×