Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My earliest training in music was somehow getting accepted into music school in 1956, and ended there and then with a big thud of fat guy hitting the pavement after being thrown off the second story balcony.

Thereafter it was through the radio listning to Italian, German, Russian, Hungarian of course, French and some popular stuff from England via short wave radio. The fidelity really sucked, but still it was a wonderful exposure.

Later in my mid teens, we had to be out by 10 PM, and yes we could drink wine or anything else we could pay for, going to restaurants with friends and listening to lots of Gypsy music. Magical stuff that is. "Primas" lead violinst of a three piece group, one is always the Base fiddle player, somtimes a drummer, somtimes a large item callled a Cimbalom aka, zither, but mauch larger and played with what looks like large Q tips.

A good lead violinist can look you in the eye, and can make cry or laugh with a tune. The rest of the group can and does modulate the tune to great effect.

Other places had piano players. Even today I am partial to piano music, piano jazz etc. I have gotten really tired of Guitar music of most any sort, save jazz, or Classicals or along the lines of Segovia, or Szabo, sad since there is not a piano bar within 60 miles. I have not heard a gypsy band live in more than 40 years.

As for playing, I can make terrible noises on any instrument. My singing is even worse.

There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Started playing the guitar and singing in third grade. Never learned to sight read, though I studied a bit of music theory. Mostly play just for myself. Performed in musicals n high school, Used to sing my son to sleep every night for a long time. He toured with the Cincinnati Boychoir and performed with some professional opera companies until his voice changed, then took private lessons and featured with a nationally competing show choir, and finally went to study vocal performance in college, and has toured internationally. Now he's acting professionally; some singing. He has an awesome voice.

Wonder how his life might have been different had I not sung him to sleep?

"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."
seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote