Join Early Retirement Today

Music Appreciation Online Courses?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Music Appreciation Online Courses?

Anyone have any knowledge and/or links to online college music appreciation courses? Maybe something where one can get accompanying books/materials.

Also any books on music appreciation?

Of course, being here in the ER forum, *only* free online courses are considered!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here are a number of music courses from MIT.

Free Online MIT Course Materials | Music and Theater Arts | MIT OpenCourseWare
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Check out the Robert Greenberg tapes (easily googled). He did a 45-lecture series on the complete history of music, he's very entertaining, I've learned a lot from him; and his tapes have the added bonus of putting me to sleep during jittery markets. He also has series of lectures on: opera, Beethoven and the concerto. [Edit: and many many others thru The Teaching Company; my info was 15-years out-of-date.] They are very expensive but my library has them all and will buy anything he records because the librarians love his live lectures. The concerto series is over-my-head but the others are okay for anyone. Also, any large symphony or opera may have tapes or CDs for sale on individual operas or other musical works. Often there is a 1/2 hour lecture before performances. I've never met a music lecturer I didn't like; they are invariably infectuously enthusiastic. Books I've seen (or bought) are dismal.

Great idea, R-Robert, that's just the kind of thing I would plan to do in the big R.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I'll check your suggestions out.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Check out the Robert Greenberg tapes (easily googled). He did a 45-lecture series on the complete history of music, he's very entertaining, I've learned a lot from him;

In googling for Robert Greenberg, found a few sources for his tapes used for much reduced prices. Thanks for the reference to him.

Also came across a site for free lectures/recitals by Andras Schiff on Beethoven music. Looks worthwhile.

Free Beethoven Piano Sonatas Lecture-Recitals by Andras Schiff - iPod - iPhone - iTunes Forums at iLounge
Old 01-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post

Also came across a site for free lectures/recitals by Andras Schiff on Beethoven music. Looks worthwhile.

Free Beethoven Piano Sonatas Lecture-Recitals by Andras Schiff - iPod - iPhone - iTunes Forums at iLounge
Thanks, I'm listening to it as we "speak."

That does it, I'll have to get a home computer system with good broadband. If any of you are holding AAPL, brace yourself for an uptick.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote