Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thread has turned out to be more interesting than I thought. Especially the degrees of difference in listening, archiving and levels of intensity about the music itself.

As promised, the secret key to learning the words... My favorite "free" player. Alsong. Free download here:

ALSong mp3 player, live music lyrics player, live song lyrics search

It's a cooperative effort of "free" members, who play their own music MP3's and then download the lyrics... and "sync" them to the music, line by line.

When you play your own MP3 in the player, the music lyrics show up on a separate screen exactly the way Karaoke shows. The people who do this, to over 1 million songs, do it as a cooperative effort... usually syncing the music they like. About 7 or 8 years ago, I "volunteered" the lyrics for about 75 of Sarah Brightman pieces as well as a few dozen Johnny Cash, and various traditional country western pieces.

To tell the truth, I only got started in this because I couldn't understand the words my "Sarah" was singing.

Give it a try with one of your own MP3's.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is a cult of young people out there who are collecting vinyl records. There are dozens of small stores in San Francisco. I have a friend who collects vinyl salsa records. On Saturday night he "broadcasts" music from the whole of each album through a service call Mixlr.com. I listen on earphones connected to my iPhone while I am cooking dinner on Saturdays.

All my music is on iTunes. I listen mostly to my iPod in my car. I've got a nice Pioneer iPod player installed in the car. I've got about 5500 songs in my digital collection. About half ripped from old CD's the rest are iTunes downloads.

There are many lyrics sites on the internet if you really need the lyrics.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Through the years, I've went from vinyl and eight track, to vinyl and cassette, to CD, and CD and digital, mostly in mp3 or wma format.

Was thrilled when cassettes came out. It allowed album or homebrew compilation tapes to be made for use in the car. And maybe a little swapping went on...

Still have around 300 vinyl LPs, about the same number of CDs, a smattering of concert DVDs, and many of the aforementioned ripped to digital.

Haven't bought any new vinyl since the 80s. Replicated much of the vinyl collection when CDs came along. Over the years, many old LPs that weren't originally carried over to CD have since been re-released, sometimes skipping over CD and going straight to digital.

Have bought a few digital albums, and some singles, though I'd really prefer to have a CD version, to skip managing digital rights.

Still enjoy listening, though not to the extent of a few years back. Do still have a turntable, though no "stereo" with a phono input. Probably still some vinyl left to digitize, but most of the rarer stuff is done. So, listen these days to digital, either mp3 on a CD, or on a computer or tablet or phone. Occasionally listen to radio in the car, mostly jazz, sometimes Pandora or a cable music channel for background music, and watch concert DVDs.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I still like CDs and never purchase mp3s online. There's a great used record shop nearby where I can get CDs pretty cheap and they have a great selection.

Recently I ripped my entire vast CD collection into flac format, stored on an external hard drive. My motivation for doing this was that I got a new car where I can plug an ipod or usb flash drive into the car stereo. So I got a 32Gb flash drive, converted the flac files to a pretty compressed mp3 and squeezed my entire collection onto the 32Gb flash drive - so I always have that in my car now.

At home, I still listen to CDs on the home stereo.
While on the home computer (desktop) I usually stream Pandora or some other internet radio with a decent pair of computer speakers.
I have an iPod but rarely use it. Sometimes I use it with earbuds on my long walks, but usually I'd rather hear the sounds of the outdoors, especially any cars approaching.

I still prefer buying the physical CD - I just like having that as a physical backup. And my thinking is that if I only downloaded individual songs, then I'd miss out on any other gems on the album that never got the airplay that the big hit songs did.

As for learning words to a song: if I can understand what they're saying, no problem. If not, it usually doesn't bother me and I just enjoy the music anyway.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I never really thought of it that way. Any music I have recorded through the net has alway been purchased. But with album conversions, I guess I think of it in terms of what every one did in the old days. Record an album and convert it to cassette tape. We never thought in terms of copyright infringement back then. I guess the times have changed and I need to join, huh?
We knew it was copyright infringement "back then".
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We knew it was copyright infringement "back then".
Yeah, it was written right there in papyrus...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Converted many of our CDs to iTunes to put own our iPods, then pretty much stopped buying CDs and buy the music from the iTunes store the other mp3 provider. Not interested in CDs anymore - not even in the car.

We upgraded all our car radios to have an iPod/USB input for music and we can send music wirelessly from our iPads or computers to our stereos in the house. So we really don't need CDs.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
I have a question for you all: how does one "get" Pandora or Spotify in one's car, using one's iPhone for example? Or walking down the street for that matter?

Forgive my ignorance in this: wouldn't you be sending your data plan through the roof if you aren't connected to wifi?

I love all the music on my iPhone, but I still like to "listen to the radio" to discover something new or rediscover an old tune I had forgotten about. So I would love to listen to Pandora or Spotify when out and about (commercial radio stations are awful), but haven't figured out how you can get all that audio data when not connected to wifi. Am I missing something? thanks!
My iPhone data plan is unlimited so not an issue. But I will say that streaming music is not as data intensive as you think.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
My iPhone data plan is unlimited so not an issue. But I will say that streaming music is not as data intensive as you think.
Lets take an example an hour long recording tends to be between 50 and 60 mb in the wma format for example. Assume its 60 mb so that is 1 mb/min or about 16.7 kilobytes/sec or 133,333 kbits/sec (not counting overhead).