Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Coincidence- That this thread started at the same time as the announcement of Sarah Brightman's new World Tour "One Day Like This".

Yes, tastes change. My personal love affair with Sarah Brightman began about 15 years ago. Probably the only album I'll ever buy!.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Pretty much the same here. Although I have branched out a little over the years. I wouldn't have listened to this kind of music 30 years ago.....[Andrea Bocelli]
Good stuff. It's subjective of course, but I've heard a few people claim this is the most beautiful song ever (without Sarah B). Certainly not everyone's cup of tea...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My music tastes have evolved a bit. I still love rock /pop from the 50s through early 80s. But as I've gotten older, I'm developing more of an appreciation of classical music and also vocalists like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Doris Day, and Perry Como.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #24

When I was younger I (too paraphrase fans of a different genre) liked both kinds of music: Rock AND Roll.

My taste has expanded. I now have a collection of 1000 albums, none on my computer, that includes just about everything but classical and modern country. I was even listening to a Cee-Lo Green rap album as I took my Muscle Boat for a cruise with my daughter yesterday. "Dad, you like weird music."

I'm with Sarah. Only like Angry Country, as she put it. I call it punkry.

I will always be a rocker. Was listening to Bad Co on the drive to work today.

"But I'm a man, I've got my pride, don't need no woman to hurt me innsssiiiide."
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Cool chart, Midpack. I'll have to do that sometime. I have around 8,000 songs on my computer, more than I'll ever listen to, at that.

I think if I had to pick a favorite artist, period, though, it would be James Taylor. While he still was on heroin. His songwriting sucked once he went clean.

Same can be said about the "punkry" (love that, Keim)--when they get to middle age, as Chris Knight once said in an interview "just not as angry as I used to be". So my favorite artists age out as they get closer to 40 and write songs about boring stuff.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Historical Collection:
Total 2800
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collection.jpg (417.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
...classic rock stations are too repetitive with the same old songs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
The two classic rock stations here are basically oldies stations with a limited play list...
All Journey, all the time... (Okay, throw in the same old songs by Boston, Foreigner, and Skynyrd...)

Rock (n roll) music is about my age (58+), and there's a lot of good music that never gets played...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I think if I had to pick a favorite artist, period, though, it would be James Taylor. While he still was on heroin. His songwriting sucked once he went clean.
Though I'd say he had some great albums and some duds before and after. Hasn't been anything resembling great since 2002 IMO but we sure like That's Why I'm Here, Never Die Young, New Moon Shine (excellent IMO) and maybe Hourglass, October Road...

1968 James Taylor
1970 Sweet Baby James
1971 Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon
1972 One Man Dog
1974 Walking Man
1975 Gorilla
1976 In the Pocket
1977 JT
1979 Flag
1981 Dad Loves His Work
1984 SOBER!!!
1985 That's Why I'm Here
1988 Never Die Young
1991 New Moon Shine
1991 Live in Rio
1993 Live
1997 Hourglass
2002 October Road
2004 A Christmas Album
2006 James Taylor at Christmas
2007 One Man Band
2008 Covers
2009 Other Covers
2010 Live at the Troubadour

Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #29

This might be too much of a thread segue, but the misheard lyrics from Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter" makes me laugh every time! (Plus the song is nice homage to Hendrix's style....and one of the few 90's grunge-era songs in my playlist.)

(In the comments below: "Eddie Veddar - the maharishi of mumble". :^) )
Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #30

One thing that has surprised me about ER is that I don't really listen to music much at all, even when sitting in front of the computer or on an airplane where I have a great selection on my iPhone. I still enjoy hearing some of the 70's & 80's classics but I don't go out of my way to pull out the old CDs or even crank up the laptop.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Though I'd say he had some great albums and some duds before and after. Hasn't been anything resembling great since 2002 IMO but we sure like That's Why I'm Here, Never Die Young, New Moon Shine (excellent IMO) and maybe Hourglass, October Road...

1970 Sweet Baby James
1977 JT
1979 Flag
1981 Dad Loves His Work
1984 SOBER!!!
And that's my list of favorites right there. I didn't actually know when he got sober, but it is funny to note that I was right in my assessment!

But I must say I do actually like That's Why I'm Here, the above notwithstanding.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Stuff I would never listen to in 50's, 60's and 70's.

Now being indoctrinated to the classics - Townes Van Zandt, Kinky Freidman, Gillian Welch, Iris Dement, Tom Russell, Ian Tyson, Amos Lee,.

And some minor ones - Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, and of course John Prine.

heh heh heh - But Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, Chuck Berry still have a place in my heart.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
For a split second I thought the thread title was that you could taste music as you got older -ha! The medical posts have hijacked my train of thought!
Never dropped acid, but I've had reports from friends that it allowed one to "taste the music" (or see and touch the sound, etc.) Never that adventurous. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
I was very much a Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bad Company and heavy metal fan in additional to liking the less "metallic" bands like Fleetwood Macs, Boston, REO Speedwagon etc.
As I get older though, I find myself enjoying the easy listening and more laid back music over the louder more energetic music of my youth.
Which, it could be argued, just proves the old adage, "If it's too loud, you're too old."

For me, "the day the music died" was the day disco was born. I haven't heard anything worth buying since, with the exception of some contemporary Bluegrass. Weird, huh?

Tyro
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry

This is an issue for me, too.

The two classic rock stations here are basically oldies stations with a limited play list, and are essentially mirrors of one another.

You'd think one of them would at least differentiate themselves a little bit by mixing in a live cut, an acoustic version or a new release by an older artist.

"Rocky Mountain Way" and "Tiny Dancer" were OK songs, but they don't need to be played twice a day.
I will admit my musical tastes are mostly locked into the 70s and 80s. But your complaint is why I have pretty much quit listening to music in my car. It seems like classic stations play the same 50 songs over and over like it is this weeks new hot sound track list. There is an unbelievable amount of songs, even top 40 ones that have totally disappeared like they were never created. Plus there are infinite "popular tracks" that everyone played even though they were not a released single. Why are these never played on a classic rock station? Is it because some 20 something is in charge of the set playlist and doesn't know any better? There used to be a station where I would vacation that I enjoyed listening to. I mean they literally blew the dust off the tracks they pulled out from the vault before they were played as I would hear songs I hadn't heard in 20 years. Sadly the station is gone now.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I've noticed that my musical taste hardly changes when I'm in relationship and evolves when I'm single and partying.

I'm in my fourties. Used to be a metalhead, but these days I prefer electronic dance music.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like lots of different music - 50s rock (not the stupid Patti Page stuff), rockabilly, folk music, blues, rock, singer/songwriter. I can't get into hip hop or disco. And I also love Broadway musicals and stuff from the 40s and before that. Really early blues and jazz. Oh jazz too, especially from the late 50s to early 70s. So in no order:

Joni Mitchell
The Pretenders
Janis Joplin
Sting
THE ROLLING STONES
The Beatles
Carly Simon
James Taylor
K.D. Lang
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Doc Watson
John Hammond
Bessie Smith
Billie Holiday
Frank Sinatra
Steely Dan
The Bangles
Bob Dylan
Warren Zevon - never wrote a song I didn't like
Matt Anderson
Lucinda Williams
Blondie
Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience
Paul Simon
Steve Willis
Elvin Bishop
Cafe R&B
Rick Estrin & the Nightcats
Leonard Cohen
Jason Ricci & New Blood
Robert Coleman Trussell
Otis Taylor
Kate & Anna McGarrigle
Cream
Eric Clapton
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Trampled Under Foot
Early Elvis, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly - the Sun Studios stuff
and sooooo many more

Blues bands not to be missed that are playing now - they travel but here's where they are based and play a lot:
Cafe R&B - mostly L.A. area - a lot like Tina Turner, quite amazing
Otis Taylor - he's from Colorado
Trampled Under Foot - Kansas City
Terrence Simien - Lafayette LA - actually he does zydeco but it's fabulous
Matt Anderson - Ottowa? Canada somewhere

Have fun I love it all.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I might start a thread listing all the artists (by # of songs) on my iPod. I think we'd be amused at each others varied tastes in many cases. I have about the same numbers of tracks by Nirvana as Yo-Yo Ma just for a teaser...

Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I might start a thread listing all the artists (by # of songs) on my iPod. I think we'd be amused at each others varied tastes in many cases. I have about the same numbers of tracks by Nirvana as Yo-Yo Ma just for a teaser...
Too lazy to catalog all the vinyl, CDs, and mp3 whatevers, but yesterday I made two copies of my pics and music (I use a laptop for a daily driver, but have a desktop with two hard drives, used mostly for multimedia stuff). The pics were about 3Gb, the music 19.2Gb (about 5500 songs).

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Too lazy to catalog all the vinyl, CDs, and mp3 whatevers, but yesterday I made two copies of my pics and music (I use a laptop for a daily driver, but have a desktop with two hard drives, used mostly for multimedia stuff). The pics were about 3Gb, the music 19.2Gb (about 5500 songs).
Understandable. But for those who have iTunes (or equivalent?), it's a simple cut-n-paste into Excel, and pivot table and you have it - literally 30 seconds or so. There may be simpler ways as well...