Music tastes as I get older

It Depends on Its Purpose

If I need to do serious chores, still love the old faves from h.s. and college (late 60's and the 70's). They still motivate me to "get moving"! :dance:

Relaxation and fun: classical and "easy listening" :)

A new and unexpected appreciation: the tunes from the 50's and 60's that my parents were playing on the family stereo when I was a kid, growing up (Perry Como, Mitch Miller, Herb Alpert, various crooners). When I hear those tunes, I can almost smell the aroma of cookies or a roasting turkey coming from the kitchen.........and hear someone telling me to clean up my room! :blush:

Driving through the countryside: DH and I have become fans of country music, especially since a trip to Nashville. Our Song is Tracy Byrd's "Lifestyles of the Not So Rich and Famous." We sing it while painting rooms, spreading mulch or any DIY task. :whistle:

Love techno/trance music. Dance to it regularly and especially at Burning Man. Only issue with age is how long & hard to dance.

My exposure to music has been a virtual cornucopia. Too many genres to list here. I love to listen for individual instruments when I hear music, or simply focus on the voice(s).
Classical music (symphony and solo performer) remains my favorite. Pavarotti makes my motor hum ;), and also helps me cry if I need to. I purposely play his version of the Ave Maria to get the strong emotions out of my system on certain anniversaries. An excellent release.

I subscribed to Sirius a few months after I bought the used 2011 Escape. It had a basic subscription on it. I listened until that expired and decided to go for the whole enchilada. I'm in musical heaven. :D

I still despise rap. :sick:

In the spirit of the OP, my taste in music has softened with age. Here are a few songs that have endured the test of time -

Velvet Underground - sweet jane
George Harrison - if not for you
Neil Young - after the gold rush
Jackson Browne - for a dancer
Talking Heads - and she was
Michael Franks - eggplant
Kinks - 20th century man
David Lindley - she took off my romeo's
Julie London - blue moon
Frank Sinatra - the best is yet to come
Mozart - piano concerto n. 18 allerro

I was crazy for the Eagles as a teen, and to this day Don Henley still makes me swoon. I listen to their music a lot, and I still enjoy most of the pop/rock of the 70's.

I liked some of my kids' music as they grew up, and try to stay current. What's really expanded my musical IQ is Live From Daryl's House. Daryl (1/2 of Hall & Oates) has on old and new performers, and my horizons have expanded. Minus the Bear, Young the Giant, Guster, and Fitz and the Tantrums - my kids are truly impressed when I rattle off those names. I'm kind of proud of myself!

You don't have to have cable to watch this - I believe most can be viewed on the web. The Todd Rundgren episode was especially good, as was Smokey Robinson.

And I've always like classical music, and 40's swing - I guess it just depends on my mood and what I'm doing. Thanks for starting this topic.

In the spirit of the OP, my taste in music has softened with age. Here are a few songs that have endured the test of time -

Kinks - 20th century man
Julie London - blue moon

Beautiful piece, but I think you meant allegro not allerro

I sometimes embarrass myself with my music. Hi, my name is (JustMeUC) and I love RAP & HIPHOP and I like to play it LOUD! sorry, I admit it, when I am in the car, for some reason.. only when I am in the car, I just do! It's great driving music, to me anyway...
:dance:

I HATE country music. Rock gives me a headache. I like Classical. I sometimes like Pop.

My most listened to artists according to my MP3 device are: Micheal Buble, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Sam Cooke and Dean Martin. They run all night softly in the background while I sleep.

When I clean the house, I have to listen to Jazz. No Jazz, no clean.

You are a cultural throw back and cannot evolve with time if you are not hip enough to recognize the talents of Bieber, Taylor Swift and Geto Boys. They are the Beatles, Bob Dylan and Led Zeppelin of the 2010s./

Last edited:
You are a cultural throw back and cannot evolve with time if you are not hip enough to recognize the talents of Bieber, Taylor Swift and Geto Boys. They are the Beatles, Bob Dylan and Led Zeppelin of the 2010s./

:facepalm:As John McEnroe wud say...."you cannot be serious!"

jags
John McEnroe was so 1980's, nowadays you should be quoting Novak Djokovic. :)

Last edited:
I am starting to find my music tastes are changing to prefer performers that have great legs, like Angie and Amber:D

I was crazy for the Eagles as a teen, and to this day Don Henley still makes me swoon. I listen to their music a lot, and I still enjoy most of the pop/rock of the 70's.

I liked some of my kids' music as they grew up, and try to stay current. What's really expanded my musical IQ is Live From Daryl's House. Daryl (1/2 of Hall & Oates) has on old and new performers, and my horizons have expanded. Minus the Bear, Young the Giant, Guster, and Fitz and the Tantrums - my kids are truly impressed when I rattle off those names. I'm kind of proud of myself!

You don't have to have cable to watch this - I believe most can be viewed on the web. The Todd Rundgren episode was especially good, as was Smokey Robinson.

And I've always like classical music, and 40's swing - I guess it just depends on my mood and what I'm doing. Thanks for starting this topic.

Check out the episode with Grace Potter--she's incredible. Such a vocal powerhouse live, too!

i still think the music that came out of late 60's and early 70's was better then anything else that came after that. but with the help of pandora i have been able to branch out to blues and bluegrass and heard some really great stuff!! but yes jimmy buffet still sounds good to me :cool:

I found George Jones 1962 Open Pit Mine on Utube the other day.

It sucked at age 18 third shift in the lumber mill earning college money. Now pushing 70 - it 'ain't' so bad.

heh heh heh - :rolleyes:

Haven't read the entire thread, but have noticed my tastes have become MUCH broader over past few yrs. Find myself listening to variety of almost everything at times. Steady diet of any one genre gives me a bored headache.

Kinks - 20th century man
Julie London - blue moon

Pretty damn good list.

"Pretty damn good list"

You are kind. I could add -

Holly Cole - the heart of saturday night
Mark Knopfler - 5:15 am
Alexi Murdoch - blue mind
Brian Eno/David Byrne - the river (not brian eno solo version)
Eleni Mandell - somebody new
Beck - nightmare hippie girl
Ben Folds - annie waits
They Might Be Giants - you're on fire
David Bowie - sorrow

"Pretty damn good list"

You are kind. I could add -

Holly Cole - the heart of saturday night
Mark Knopfler - 5:15 am
Alexi Murdoch - blue mind
Brian Eno/David Byrne - the river (not brian eno solo version)
Eleni Mandell - somebody new
Beck - nightmare hippie girl
Ben Folds - annie waits
They Might Be Giants - you're on fire
David Bowie - sorrow
Another good list
I like artists with a playful sense of humor. In addition to Becks "nightmare hippie girl", I like -

Warren Zevon - the hula hula boys
Bare Naked Ladies - if I had $1,000,000
Deadeye Dick - new age girl
They might be giants - I wish I could sing like a girl
Ken Nordine - you're getting better

Back
Top Bottom