Join Early Retirement Today

Music tastes as I get older
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
gone traveling

Music tastes as I get older

I was very much a Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bad Company and heavy metal fan in additional to liking the less "metallic" bands like Fleetwood Macs, Boston, REO Speedwagon etc.
As I get older though, I find myself enjoying the easy listening and more laid back music over the louder more energetic music of my youth.

Reading some of the other posts here, it looks like many still enjoy the music of their youth.

I still enjoy the pop bands of the 60's - 80's, but heavy metal is something I only put on once in a blue moon, and usually when I've had one glass of red too many
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think my taste in music has changed that much. I've never been a heavy metal fan but have always liked folk, blues, jazz, classic rock, and classical music. It's been many years since I've heard a newer band that I really like but recently I've been enjoying Mumford and Sons. They call themselves an indie folk group.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #3

I don't think mine has changed. Looking forward to listening to the new Jimi Hendrix album. But I listen to whatever I like, 50s rockabilly to baroque classical.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

For a split second I thought the thread title was that you could taste music as you got older -ha! The medical posts have hijacked my train of thought!
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #5

I've changed a lot, too. I was deeply into music when I was young (The Clash, REM, Echo and the Bunnymen, Dire Straits). I was passionate about it. Now, at age 51, I listen mostly to ambient music that provides a relaxing backdrop. I occasionally listen to the old stuff for short periods of time, but I just don't have the interest anymore.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
For a split second I thought the thread title was that you could taste music as you got older -ha!
Likewise.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My music tastes haven't changed. My older siblings had a lot of 60s music in the house when growing up. I was an on air DJ at my college radio station, which had an eclectic mix of jazz, r&b, rock, disco and gospel, so did shows in every format. My digital music collection has a crazy mix of all of those genres.

I will say that I don't listen to music with what I call "anxiety/angst" lyrics or themes very much anyone. I favor songs with optimistic, upbeat, funny, and "positive love"/sexy lyrics. Perhaps as I get closer to the end I want to be reminded of happy times as much as possible.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I don't think my taste in music has changed that much. I've never been a heavy metal fan but have always liked folk, blues, jazz, classic rock, and classical music.
+1
I also appreciate quiet in the car more these days. In the past, I always had something playing while driving.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

As I get into my mid-40's I find myself less interested in the music of my younger days and even less interested in most new music out there. Country music annoys me, classic rock stations are too repetitive with the same old songs, and anything slow puts me to sleep. I guess I need to go back to listening to language-learning courses on my commute.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
..classic rock stations are too repetitive with the same old songs...
This is an issue for me, too.

The two classic rock stations here are basically oldies stations with a limited play list, and are essentially mirrors of one another.

You'd think one of them would at least differentiate themselves a little bit by mixing in a live cut, an acoustic version or a new release by an older artist.

"Rocky Mountain Way" and "Tiny Dancer" were OK songs, but they don't need to be played twice a day.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
My music tastes haven't changed.

I will say that I don't listen to music with what I call "anxiety/angst" lyrics or themes very much anyone. I favor songs with optimistic, upbeat, funny, and "positive love"/sexy lyrics. Perhaps as I get closer to the end I want to be reminded of happy times as much as possible.
+1. This is why I still have bouts of listening to just Jimmy Buffett for a week! Sometimes I just like happy, uncomplicated songs.

I listened to pop music in my teens and try very hard not to be nostalgic for it, because, well, a lot of it sucked (in the 80s).

I love Americana music and we go see a good many small venue shows. I tend toward what I call Angry Country in this, with songwriting from folks like James McMurtry, Chris Knight, BJ Barham of American Aquarium, and older stuff of Robert Earl Keen. That sort of angst is ok, 'cause the body count is high.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I was raised on Rock'n'Roll, but the Blues kept getting in the way!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
I was raised on Rock'n'Roll, but the Blues kept getting in the way!
Pretty much the same here. Although I have branched out a little over the years. I wouldn't have listened to this kind of music 30 years ago.....

Who knows, I may move from lite med's to dark before it's all over.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
+1
I also appreciate quiet in the car more these days. In the past, I always had something playing while driving.
I have to have music when I'm driving. I have Sirius/XM in my car but as someone else said the classic rock channels even there are too repetitive. The deep tracks channel and the underground garage channel aren't as bad because they play cuts that weren't hits so they had less air play. For home use I have an internet radio tuner; there are so many good stations that I can always find something worth listening to.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
gone traveling

My music tastes remain stuck in the 50s, 60s and 70s, although there are some newer pop hits that I like as well.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #16

I still like most of the music from my younger days (including all of the bands mentioned in the OP); but, my tastes seem to have broadened quite a lot as I have aged. Now, I enjoy a much more varied array of musicians.

However, like a few other posters here, I actually listen to music much less now than in years past even though I am more likely to enjoy whatever is playing now.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #17

I still rather listen to blues, rock and soul that was recorded in mid sixties to mid seventies (prior to disco).

That being said, there are artists that I like since then - Stevie Ray Vaughn, Dire Straits, Pearl Jam, U2, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

XM used to be less repetitive. When Sirius bought them, they tightened the playlists.

That said, my music choices have changed. Growing up in the 70's, peer pressure demanded that I like the rock of that era. I was a boy, after all. It was OK, but you can only take so much Journey. And don't you dare like disco or anything upbeat.

As I've aged, I've come to appreciate some of that other stuff, including some of the better produced dance music and pop.

But I've really come to appreciate the dawn of harder/progressive rock. With a few decades perspective, I've come to know just how incredible the musicianship of Led Zep and Pink Floyd were/are. John Bonham's drumming blows me away... he was one of a kind and influenced scores of those who followed. What a loss. I could on and on.

But then there's this odd little habit I have. I also like to listen to 40's music. Ironically, I skip the 50s. Early Rock and Roll isn't my thing. 60s are OK. But when I want oldies, I go right to the source. Big band.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My taste in music has always slowly evolved/expanded, I wouldn't say changed. I still like the old stuff, but I enjoy some of the new stuff too (still). I haven't found myself gravitating to easy listening yet, but maybe some day.

A lesser known Radiohead song came on the music system at our favorite coffee shop yesterday, and the "young-uns" were surprised that I even knew who it was, much less liked it. Some of them didn't know who it was, too young for Radiohead (sad).

We have over 5,000 songs on CD (about 80% rock/pop/alternative, some jazz, classical, musical theatre, other), about half of them are on our iOS devices. We have 175 artist/one-hit wonders in our catalog (1 song each).

Though # of songs isn't exactly favorites, it's in the ballpark:

Artist# of Songs
The Beatles139
Billy Joel95
Sheryl Crow84
Sting (DW)63
Radiohead61
James Taylor56
The Who52
Jimmy Buffett40
Green Day35
The Rolling Stones35
Led Zeppelin30
The Police30
Elton John27
Jason Mraz24
Sarah McLachlan23
Queen22
Van Halen22
Fleetwood Mac21
Foo Fighters21
Total Catalog2542

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #20

My taste in music changed significantly since ER back in 2002. Prior to ER I heard music (mostly soft rock, folk, classical) as sort of a de-stressor. I.E. home from work, put some nice tunes on the stereo, get a drink, catch up on reading and use the music as a pleasant background to get my mind off the work day. After ER, I discovered Jazz and it's multiple varieties and really had the opportunity to dig into music and listen intently to it. I started collecting LP's (have a couple thousand now) and also in the last couple of years discovered MOG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOG_(online_music)) and its amazing music catalog and quality sound. It's been an incredibly enjoyable journey.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote