Music Trivia

Glenn Miller: Kalamazoo.....watch the dance routine near the end...spectacular!

AND TRIVIA: Who is that GAL? And from which movie is the piece?
Love the big band era. Mom/dad would frequent Willow Brook Ballroom. The dancers, unbelievable.

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was written by Freddie Mercury. Everybody probably knows that already but I did not until this week.

Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I had a guess, and only checked youtube for the song length, and was wrong ("Up, Up and Away", by the Fifth Dimension)....
-ERD50
You were on the right track until led astray. ;)

Ahh, so it was "Up, Up and Away"? Or another 5th D song? I had just looked at the song length when I posted, and thought it was too short for an 'extended coda'. But I just listened, and I guess it does qualify? Funny, my memory of it from many decades ago made me think it did have a long coda. Funny how memories work (now, what did my DW say was important for me to do today? Ummm?).

BTW, I was more into the heavier rock and blues and R&B at the time, so to me that song was "light", but I think even at the time I appreciated it, and definitely on a re-listen, it really is very, very well done. The arrangement, the orchestration, the harmonies and qualities of the voices. Oh, pretty sure I thought Marilyn McCoo was hot back then too.

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was written by Freddie Mercury. Everybody probably knows that already but I did not until this week.
I did not know that!

Like I said, I'm more into (not to be too snobbish, but...) more 'serious' music than your typical pop song. So while I admire Queen for just being totally amazing at many levels, I didn't really follow them, and I actually had no idea who performed, let alone composed, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", but I was very familiar with the song. I love the pause and "Thump-Thump"!

A quick Google described it as a 'rock-a-billy' song (yes, definitely, at least to my ear), and that Freddy Mercury wrote it to honor Elvis. Well OK, that fits 100%, and I think Freddy did Elvis proud.

Thanks, I learned something.

-ERD50

FF to 12:20 minutes, incredible! Although the entire performance...amazing.

Yes that is correct!

Sorry but just got on this thread. Knew immediately the three who did band and solo $100 million. Great subjects, especially with R&R as part of it. Love all the 60's bands that branched out to be successful in their own right. Just check out Buffalo Springfield among others. Unbelievably great music in that developing era.

Some people may not know about Paul Anka who wrote the lyrics of "My Way" that Sinatra recorded, but have heard his song "Diana", which he wrote at the age of 16 and became a top hit in 1958.

"Diana" was not his 1st song however, as he wrote "I Confess" at the age of 14.

Anka was Canadian-born to a Syrian-Canadian father, and a Lebanese-Canadian mother.

Yes you are correct that Anka was Canadian. My now deceased Father in Law was from Ottawa, and set up Anka's mother and father on a blind date ( he knew his father as a friend). Needless to say the two hit it off quite well, hence baby Paul! Years later after Paul's Detroit concert at the Fox Theater, my FIL and MIL waited in a fan line after the concert to meet with Paul, now a big star. How surprised he was when they told him about his parents blind date.

That's a bingo! Like I said, this is actually two songs "Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In" from the musical "Hair." But it's produced to sound like one continuous song. And the coda (the ending part), like "Hey Jude" and the other three songs I'm thinking of, is one musical phrase that's repeated over and over, and is as long--if not longer--than the first part of the recording.

(Now, can you name the other three songs I'm thinking of, now that this one has been ID'd?)

Another was by some guy who started out his musical career heavily influenced by Dylan. (There is film of the two meeting in an English hotel room, playing songs on guitar to each other.)

And another hit song of late 1968 into 1969 with an extended coda was performed by this multi-hit African-American group that performed on "The Ed Sullivan Show" several times. Who and what hit single?

Finally, this ~7:30 long LP song, also with a long coda, was by this British group. :confused:?

And a Happy 79th Birthday, Ringo!
Elvis: Suspicious Minds
Led Zep: Cashmire
Last one :confused: dont know

Elvis: Suspicious Minds
Led Zep: Cashmire
Last one :confused: dont know
That's another bingo! "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis, supposedly recorded while "Hey Jude" was still a hit. Compare the Elvis version, with its extended coda, to the original Mark James's version (also found on YouTube). (Plus read the lengthy comment under the original James's version on YouTube.)

Of the remaining two songs I'm thinking of, one was released on Epic records, and recorded in November 1968 per the LP's back cover notes (not May 1968 as Wikipedia incorrectly notes at one point in its entry for this song). It's ~4:58 in length with its coda lasting over three minutes (but for a brief break). Name that tune!

That's another bingo! "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis, supposedly recorded while "Hey Jude" was still a hit. Compare the Elvis version, with its extended coda, to the original Mark James's version (also found on YouTube). (Plus read the lengthy comment under the original James's version on YouTube.)

Of the remaining two songs I'm thinking of, one was released on Epic records, and recorded in November 1968 per the LP's back cover notes (not May 1968 as Wikipedia incorrectly notes at one point in its entry for this song). It's ~4:58 in length with its coda lasting over three minutes (but for a brief break). Name that tune!

I'm thinking Donovan was on Epic... "Atlantis" had a long coda, is that one of them?

New thread for those who know music trivia that may surprise some of us.

John Lennon wrote Dear Prudence about Mia Farrow's sister Prudence who became obsessed with meditation. He tried to coax her to come out and play.

The song "Down by the River" by Neil Young has nothing to do with murder.

Does everyone know that? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants:dance:

Again, great thread!

Bonus question: who showed John Lennon the fingerpicking technique that resulted in songs like "Dear Prudence"?

Many people thought the John Fogerty-penned Credance Clearwater hit "Who'll Stop the Rain" was an anti-war song since it came out during the Vietnam era. He said years later they were holed up in a hotel somewhere and it just seemed like the rain would never stop.

That's a bingo! Like I said, this is actually two songs "Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In" from the musical "Hair." But it's produced to sound like one continuous song. And the coda (the ending part), like "Hey Jude" and the other three songs I'm thinking of, is one musical phrase that's repeated over and over, and is as long--if not longer--than the first part of the recording.

Ah, had a huge crush on Marilyn McCoo when I was a young lad. She was a hottie.

This is probably widely known but this Buffalo Springfield hit was NOT an anti war song:

Although "For What It's Worth" is often used as an anti-war song, Stephen Stills was inspired to write the track because of the Sunset Strip curfew riots in November 1966—a series of early counterculture-era clashes that took place between police and young people on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, California, beginning in mid-1966, the same year Buffalo Springfield had become the house band at the Whisky a Go Go on the Sunset Strip.

Speaking of guitar layers . I will give several clues to this one ." Eric Clapton once said if you never heard of this man don't talk to me. " This guitar player riffs are heard in lots of old R&R songs from Elvis , Zep , and everyone out there that plays guitar . There are only two photographs of this player , No Vids . This will break the Ice, He is where the curse of 27 came from that is still followed today . It is said any musician who seeks fame can go to the Cross Roads but pay the penalty of dying at 27 . Many songs written about going to the Crossroads . Who is this man?

Back
Top Bottom