Join Early Retirement Today

Musical Moods
Old 07-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Musical Moods

I truly love music, many genres. But I'll never understand how/why what I want to listen to varies so wildly from week to week even day to day.
  • A few weeks ago I went through my entire Nirvana (have all their albums) & Pearl Jam library. Doesn't sound appealing at the moment.
  • Before that it was Radiohead (have all their albums except the electronica years).
  • Went to a Led Zeppelin tribute band concert last week, couldn't get enough of it (have all the Zep albums).
  • Downloaded the new James Taylor album a few days ago at DW's request, just wasn't in the mood for JT, though we have all his albums and at times it IS just what I want to hear.
  • A few days ago it was Mendelssohn's Songs without Words, Beethoven's 5th Symphony 4th Movement (still the grandest, most spectacular opening passage ever written IMHO - blows me away every time) with a little Vivaldi Four Seasons thrown in.
  • Yet yesterday for some unknown reason I went from Jennifer Nettles cover of Neil Diamond's Hello Again (incredible IMO, even though I don't like enjoy most Neil Diamond or country), to Josh Groban, Charlotte Church, Barbara Streisand, Betty Buckley (Memories), Billy Joel (momentarily side-tracked), Celine Dion, Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman. [I can't imagine having developed the gift of voice to the level this latter group has, to be able to evoke strong emotions, even tears of joy in an audience by simply singing. I love it, but it's beyond my comprehension.]
I could go on endlessly, but I'll never understand what drives my musical tastes from moment to moment. Not complaining, just another of life's great mysteries to me...

The only band that I never tire of is the greatest band of all time, The Beatles...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I usually put itunes on random play, and just go with that. Here's a smattering from a few days ago.
HTML Code:
  Angie Girl     
      Stevie Wonder
      My Cherie Amour
  BWV1095 O Lamm Gottes unschuldig     
      James Kibbie
      Bach Organ Works - Neumeister Chorales
  Todd Rundgren - Can We Still Be Friends     
      Todd Rundgren

Dweller on the Threshold     
      Joe Satriani
      Time Machine
  Little Wing (live).mp3     
      Eric Johnson

Sultans of Swing     
      Mark Knopfler
      The Greek Theater, LA - 5-20-2001
  A Case Of You     
      Jane Monheit
      Come Dream With Me
  From A Motel 6     
      Yo La Tengo
      Prisoners Of Love: A Smattering Of Scintillating Senescent Songs 1985-2003 (Disc 1)
The list is even more eclectic than that sample appears. My strategy is "random" on most days I turn on the mp3 library.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This just cue'd as I sent that last post.

All of Bach's organ riffs performed by Dr. James Kibbie. It's legit. I downloaded and scanned all the zips.
Download the Complete Organ Works of J.S. Bach for Free | Open Culture

Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

"The only band that I never tire of is the greatest band of all time, The Beatles..."

I listened to the white album last night......the whole 4 sides including number 9, probably the first time I listened to that track since the first time when the album was new...
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure I've stated before that I like virtually all music - except Rap/Hip Hop. From Rolf Harris (Sun Arise or Tie Me Kangaroo Down) and Spike Jones to James Taylor and Neil Diamond to the Stones and Beatles to Beethoven and Brahms. What I listen to most is late '50s to early 70's "oldies." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey - musical moods can change on the spur of the moment.

Why just today....I started with some smooth jazz and right now AC/DC is cranked.

Go figure...go with the flow.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Berlioz kick lately. The London version of Symphonie Fantastique with Solti/Chicago Symphony favorite so far. What a treat with the stereo way up loud!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
This just cue'd as I sent that last post.

All of Bach's organ riffs performed by Dr. James Kibbie. It's legit. I downloaded and scanned all the zips.
Download the Complete Organ Works of J.S. Bach for Free | Open Culture

Enjoy!
Thank you! I got them all downloaded (sure wish they had a torrent connection), and listened a bit today. Nice that they are at a high bit rate (~ 256Kbps), I prefer lossless, but for free this is better than the expected 128Kbps.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

I have been listening to more music, post ER. I have been trying to consolidate a large group of CD's into ones I listen to regularly. Plan is to downsize the pile somewhat. So here is the first cut of those making the list. These were all various moods I was into at the time:

Return to Me Soundtrack. I have grown an appreciation for the crooners.
Police, Every Breath you Take
INXS, Kick
Harry Chapin, Gold Medal Collection
Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti (inspired by ER thread "Ten Years Gone")
John Hiatt, Walk On
Peter Gabriel, So
Ray Charles, Genius Loves Company
John Lennon, Imagine
David Bowie, Sound-Vision
Ray Charles, Greatest Hits
Black Crowes, Shake Your Money Maker
Stevie Ray Vaughan, In Step
Van Morrison, Into the Music
U2, Rattle and Hum
Roger Miller, Best of Roger Miller

In the car, usually listen to E Street, Classic Vinyl, Bridge, and Spectrum
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I truly love music, many genres. But I'll never understand how/why what I want to listen to varies so wildly from week to week even day to day.
I could go on endlessly, but I'll never understand what drives my musical tastes from moment to moment. Not complaining, just another of life's great mysteries to me...

The only band that I never tire of is the greatest band of all time, The Beatles...
I am somewhat the same. I listen to different kinds of music, but not all genres. It adds spice to life, no differently than I like to cook and eat various dishes. But for the last 2 months, I have listened to little. I have not been in the mood.

I cannot say that the Beatles are my favorites.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I cannot say that the Beatles are my favorites.
A friend of ours confessed she is a Paul hater
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I never buried Paul.
;{>
Old 07-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

And here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul.....
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Musical Moods
Old 07-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Musical Moods

I love it when friends create playlists for me on Spotify of stuff I'd never normally listen to. Some of these songs make it onto my regular playlists and some are just too weird for regular rotation.

I also enjoy going off on side tangents from one musician to other, related artists, or sometimes just checking out what's on new releases.

So nice to have so much music at our fingertips today. Makes me feel guilty to listen to the same stuff all the time when I get in a rut!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

There is stuff now on youtube from my younger vinyl days that I thought was lost forever.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-13-2015, 07:45 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I've been listening to music while riding my bike a lot lately - listening to anything from Rascal Flats to Grand Funk Railroad. Yesterday was a great Bob Seger day.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Range from Al Stewart, through Bryan Adams, Tom Cochrane, Julio, Dire Straits, Bonnie Raitt, Fleetwood Mac, etc..........but, when on the elliptical, it's most often John Fogerty

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Played a band concert last night. That's what is in my head at the moment. Seriously, Acoustic Alchemy, Don Ellis, Yes, Michael Tomlinson, a collection of 50 classical pieces I have downloaded, including Cappricio Espanol, Adagio for Strings, Mozart's 40th symphony, really great pieces. I'm sort of stuck in the past. Not fond of country, I don't classify rap and hip/hop as music, but rhythm focused, and usually quite angry words, so not an inspiration.

Listening a lot to Don Ellis albums since early retirement. It sends me back to my middle and late teen years, which were actually quite a good time in my life, unlike many. Too bad he passed away in '78.

When exercising, Jen Luc Ponty and Gabe Dixon are fantastic for me.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
There is stuff now on youtube from my younger vinyl days that I thought was lost forever.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Yep. Occasionally, I think that I should round out my music collection and track down some the 'classic' CDs that I'm missing. But 98 times out of 100, a trip down youtube memory lane scratches the itch.

Yes, the sound quality isn't as good as if I did a lossless rip from a CD I purchased, but truth is I wouldn't listen all that often anyhow. But once in a while, it will get me to make a purchase.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yep. Occasionally, I think that I should round out my music collection and track down some the 'classic' CDs that I'm missing. But 98 times out of 100, a trip down youtube memory lane scratches the itch.

Yes, the sound quality isn't as good as if I did a lossless rip from a CD I purchased, but truth is I wouldn't listen all that often anyhow. But once in a while, it will get me to make a purchase.

-ERD50
Interesting take on the "quality" of Youtube sound: Unless it's one of the "watch-my-worn-out-'kiddie'-45-player-and-needle-play-a-worn-out-vinyl-record" Youtube, I find that my memory tends to fill in the highs and lows that are missing on my "cheap" built in speakers. I've heard that those who have lost most of their hearing and then are successfully fitted with a cochlear implant tend to experience the same thing - especially on things they "remember" hearing in the past (old friends voices, music, etc.) The concept is truly amazing - and demonstrable with low(er) quality playback such as Youtube. Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote