Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Musicians you never saw in concert
Old 04-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I regret never seeing Billy Joel in concert. I have always liked him. When I lived in California I'm sure I had the opportunity to see him, but I was too busy working and trying to survive, and I never thought about it. The reason I like him is because his music is diverse, and he sings about songs I can relate to, even if only on a small scale.

I read about concerts in Europe, or Eastern Europe when a big name comes into the area, so many people just do whatever they can to make it to the concert because no one knows if they will ever get a chance to see that big name again. I kind of feel like that now as I would have to drive to either Salt Lake City or Las Vegas to even have a prayer of seeing a big name.

Billy Joel plays in NYC quite a bit I think and plays less in other parts of the U.S., and I have not given up on seeing him yet, even though it's going to be tough as I will have to go out of my way to ever make it happen. So is there an artist or artists that you have never seen and would like to? Why have you never seen them? Is there anything you plan to do about it? I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #2

Never saw him in concert, but I have met him 1/2 dozen times over the years. I invited him to several parties years ago and both times he showed without Christie, much to my disappointment. Even after he had money and was living in that Lloyd's Neck mansion, he would still come into town and bum beers off of some friends. After, he got tired of everybody driving their boats by his house to watch Christie sun bathe "au natural, they moved out to the Hamptons and I never saw him again.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

I think Billy Joel does a monthly show (or something like that) at Madison Square Garden? Or at least he was doing that a year or so ago. Plan a trip around it!

The one that comes to mind for me would be David Bowie. But I've seen a lot of great shows. DH is generally more passionate about music and we've definitely seen more concerts from his prodding, including making a trip here and there.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #4

The Rolling Stones. Bought tickets for their upcoming US tour which was postponed. Hopefully Mick gets well soon and I can see them in concert.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #5

I guess I worded it wrong. I am more interested in artists others have not seen. I didn't mean the thread to be focused solely on Billy Joel. That was just my example, even though I am interested if others have something to write about him.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
The Rolling Stones. Bought tickets for their upcoming US tour which was postponed. Hopefully Mick gets well soon and I can see them in concert.
I saw them on their "Farewell Tour" in 1982. At least then was definitely a band you want to have seen.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I really wish I’d caught Pink Floyd!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Neil Young. He still tours sporadically, but never close enough.

Concert tickets are so expensive now, too.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I saw the Stones at the Altamont Concert, back in 1969. I was about 20-30 feet from the stage and will never forget the simply over-the-top out of sight incredibly amazing music, and the violence and pandemonium that ensued which Jagger did everything possible to damp down. Given the craziness there and the massive crowds, I feel like he saved my life. Yes, I fervently hope Mick gets well soon from what is apparently a heart valve replacement surgery (or so the rumor has it).

I never did get to see the Beatles, though!!! Wow. I really wanted to but it just did not work out that way for me. So, the person I wish I had seen was John Lennon, with the Beatles.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Boston... Tom Scholz is a wizard on a guitar IMHO.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well for me are a few, used to be a few more.

Finally did see Fleetwood Mac in 2014 I believe it was. Band was intact then with all the original members from the Rumours era. No longer is. Things changed fast.

Would have loved to have seen John Stewart, Gerry Rafferty, and Bachman & Turner (now unlikely with Fred Turner retired).

I did see Stevie Nicks, Three Dog Night (before Cory Wells' passing), Tom Petty (twice but not the 3rd time, sadly).

Never saw the Cranberries and never will after Delores Riordan's untimely passing last year. Also the Traveling Wilburys never toured and now only Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan remain.

But I am looking forward to seeing ELO this July (after seeing a very different version 40 years ago-twice). Also looking forward to seeing the great British vocalist Dido in June.

Wish I could have seen George Harrison and John Lennon.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

I got to see them in Prague in 1994.

Great show!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I wished I had seen Duke Ellington. Just the wrong time or place to have seen him. Also the original Eagles before the deaths of the two leads.
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I saw the band perform three times in the 1970s. The first time was in early March 1973 in Madison, a couple days after "Dark Side of the Moon" was released. The next two events were stadium shows, which were huge spectacles but pale facsimiles of the '73 concert.

I saw Neil Young with CS&N back in the day ... Neil was in town recently, and tickets were going for $500 apiece from resellers. The official price was well over $300, IIRC.

I think the one band I wish I'd seen, but didn't, would have been The Kinks.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #15

Hank Williams SR , and Elvis . To me they started it all . Hank Williams is so embedded in America as Elvis is also .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Neil Young. He still tours sporadically, but never close enough.

Concert tickets are so expensive now, too.

He’s playing in Seattle, but tickets are $350+. It’s tempting, but a bit too steep for me. Maybe I should rethink it though. Odds could be good that Eddie Vedder would make an appearance, assuming he’s in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, I fervently hope Mick gets well soon from what is apparently a heart valve replacement surgery (or so the rumor has it).

I never did get to see the Beatles, though!!! Wow. I really wanted to but it just did not work out that way for me. So, the person I wish I had seen was John Lennon, with the Beatles.

At least it’ll not “serious?” I also hope he gets well soon.

Beatles would have been great to see, as would Led Zeppelin. It’d also be fun to see Elton John, which could still happen.

I have a ton of newer bands I’d like to see that are still touring. Cage the Elephant is on that list. Milky Chance would also be fun, but now I may be getting a bit esoteric.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been to dozens of concerts including many of the big time acts, but there are a few that I haven't seen due to the prices for the tickets- Paul McCartney and the Eagles are two that come to mind.
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I had tickets for Pink Floyd when they were coming to Raleigh in the late 90s, but the show got rained out. Actually a GF bought the tickets, then we broke up, but she still wanted us to go. It was just a little weird and I wasn't that upset when it got cancelled.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Glen Campbell, George Harrison and Roy Clark. My biggest regret is not being able to see my girl Janis Joplin ��.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Billy Joel, here's a funny story about the first time he allegedly played "Piano Man" where he based the song.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...ed-the-song-on
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote