Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Mustang & Sports Car Lovers
Old 09-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
- lifestyle allowed us to take retirement prior to normal SS age
- completly debt free, and having a healthy "cash bucket" for current expenses
- our home is paid for, and we expect to live here for many years...not considered part of our retirement income
- no outstanding loans, nor any CC debt...pay them every month.
forgive me for such brutal editing, but i saw the elements of the recipe of success to be able to FIRE and wanted to highlight them for effect.

are we related? LOL

a bit off topic...a very very brief excursion...may I ask what type car your avatar is?

FB
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
a bit off topic...a very very brief excursion...may I ask what type car your avatar is?

FB
'02 Mustang GT vert (like yours - only an older model, on the old Fox frame) with the 5-speed manual.

Ordered it from the factory (my color combination not offered by the local dealer).

Currently has 15k and is my "sunday car" - e.g. the sun has to be out before it leaves the garage ...

- Ron

Here's a larger picture (courtesy of Ford)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang.jpg (18.6 KB, 196 views)
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
'02 Mustang GT vert (like yours - only an older model, on the old Fox frame) with the 5-speed manual.

Ordered it from the factory (my color combination not offered by the local dealer).

Currently has 15k and is my "sunday car" - e.g. the sun has to be out before it leaves the garage ...

- Ron
the headlights threw me off for a moment. very nice ride!!!!
mine is a 5 speed also. it is downright criminal to put an automatic trans in cars like these.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

oh, so this is where i post the stang pics...

white with black top and tan interior. black inserts inside doors, black mats on tan carpet. hot hot hot. only one in southeastern u.s.a. at the time. the dealer found it for me in jax and shipped it down.

(don't shoot me, auto here. hey. it's my only car. love a stick but not for everyday. sometimes you have to compromise in life. that doesn't make me a criminal.)

if you're blue and you don't know
where to go, why don't you go
where fashion sits
puttin' on the hitch

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #5

Ironic that a LBYM thread has turned into an opportunity for people to show off their sportscars! Well, everyone is entitled to one or two luxuries, as long as those toys are paid for (i.e., not financed with debt). Obviously Ron et al. have everything under control financially, and LBYM has allowed them the freedom to afford such indulgence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I think the issue was lack of risk management. There must have been a lot of actuaries asleep at their differential and integral equations
Apparently it is easy to make complex mathematical models say whatever you want them to say. If you keep tinkering with the parameters long enough, eventually you'll manage to obtain favourable 'stress test' results.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Obviously Ron et al. have everything under control financially, and LBYM has allowed them the freedom for such indulgence.
Yes ....

Also, it's a bit of "making up for lost time" in my "youth" (but that's another story, not suitable for public discussion )...

- Ron
Old 09-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Ironic that a LBYM thread has turned into an opportunity for people to show off their sportscars

It's like that saying about the two ways to become rich: "Make more, or desire less". The first route for people already in ER is not so open, so we'll be tested as to our capacity for the second.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Milton;715499]Ironic that a LBYM thread has turned into an opportunity for people to show off their sportscars! Well, everyone is entitled to one or two luxuries, as long as those toys are paid for (i.e., not financed with debt). quote]

sorry bout dat...i'll start a new thread...it was a very brief excursion...

very good point about not being financed with debt.
FB
Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Let's see what ya got!

and why did ya buy it?

when i was 45, i set a goal to have a Mustang (convertible with 5 spd transmission) by age 50. i saved up and actually achieved it at age 48. i drove my old faithful 92 Honda for 13 years vs buying a newer car, and bankrolled the Stang fund. Honda still runs and is my winter rat.

FB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smaller-mustang.JPG (2.6 KB, 99 views)
Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #10

[quote=freebird5825;715579]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Ironic that a LBYM thread has turned into an opportunity for people to show off their sportscars! Well, everyone is entitled to one or two luxuries, as long as those toys are paid for (i.e., not financed with debt). quote]

sorry bout dat...i'll start a new thread...it was a very brief excursion...

very good point about not being financed with debt.
FB
Actually, "showing off our toys" make perfect sense in an LBYM thread. Speaking for myself, I could have had a "toy" much earlier in life (other than my DW "strongly encouraging me not to participate in such a purchase ), but that desire was delayed to many years later and lead to our FI status.

BTW, I truly believe that I appreciate and enjoy the car more at my "advanced age " than I would have 40+ years ago. I also have the time to take it out for a long ride in the early spring or late fall (perfect time for a vert) without having to worry about getting to a j*b!

Life is good...

- Ron
Old 09-17-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

[quote=rs0460a;715583]
Quote:

Actually, "showing off our toys" make perfect sense in an LBYM thread. Speaking for myself, I could have had a "toy" much earlier in life (other than my DW "strongly encouraging me not to participate in such a purchase ), but that desire was delayed to many years later and lead to our FI status.

BTW, I truly believe that I appreciate and enjoy the car more at my "advanced age " than I would have 40+ years ago. I also have the time to take it out for a long ride in the early spring or late fall (perfect time for a vert) without having to worry about getting to a j*b!

Life is good...

- Ron
see new thread "Mustang & Sports Car Lovers" in Other Topics.
FB
Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
I drove my old faithful 92 Honda for 13 years vs buying a newer car, and bankrolled the Stang fund. Honda still runs and is my winter rat.

FB
Oh my! I think we are about to get into another "my car vs. your car ".

Last year we traded our '89 Olds (18+ years!), purchased new. Even though it still ran without any repairs other than "normal" - e.g. muffler/brakes/tires, it was built before such things such as airbags (both front or side) were generally used.

At our age, if we "break", it will take longer to heal ourselves, so it was more of a lifestyle/safety move.

Just another story of LYBM. BTW, my son is picking up his new car today (yes, he paid cash ). His previous car was purchased (new) in '94 after he graduated from a state university. That's 14 years for him - not bad.

- Ron
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #13

Can't beat a Honda - I drove my 1994 Accord for 13 years, and now the 19 year old daughter of a friend has it and it's still running. I now have a 2007 Civic (paid cash) and on my trip last week to western NC, I got 44 mpg on the highway (and it's not a hybrid).
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Oh my! I think we are about to get into another "my car vs. your car ".
Last year we traded our '89 Olds (18+ years!), purchased new.

wow, 89 Olds. you got your money's worth and then some.

My Stang is my mid life crisis car. it took me 3 months of driving by it to finally test drive it. i knew once i did that was all she wrote.

My mom had a 69 black Mustang convertible, but sadly it was an automatic. she let me drive it 1 year at college until i saved up for my own used car. I was hooked! i did my first 100 mph crazy run in it. A guy in a Chevy Nova teased me into a short race. Guess who lost?

Mine is a 2005 Premium, 6 cyl. the insurance for the GT was off the scale. but the Premium has lots of guts and about 22 mpg avg for both city/highway. it looks just like a 69 in general appearance, updated all over.

as you know, these are a dream to drive. and we deserve it, eh?

FB
PS I'm a female, BTW
Old 09-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

from CJ
Can't beat a Honda - I drove my 1994 Accord for 13 years, and now the 19 year old daughter of a friend has it and it's still running. I now have a 2007 Civic (paid cash) and on my trip last week to western NC, I got 44 mpg on the highway (and it's not a hybrid).

when my 92 gives out, the replacement will probably be a used Honda. it's costing a lot in "wear & tear parts" lately at 130K miles, but still better than car payments. my fiance does all the work himself.

amazing mileage for the Civic. thanks for the info. i may seriously think about a used Civic now, assuming i can even find one. all i need is a car for local driving in winter.

FB
Old 09-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

a bit off topic...a very very brief excursion...may I ask what type bike that is on your rack, Lazy?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #17

online stangphiles go nutz on the inquirer of a hitch but it is hardly noticeable with all but the 1&1/4 inch box & two steel loops sticking out slightly (less than the exhaust pipes) from under the bumber (top of box lines up precisely & flush with bottom of bumper--nothing else of the hitch shows.) what the hell, they are already upset with me that i violated gt stang sanctity with an automatic. (hey, it's not my fault they haven't yet designed a pony tiptronic transmission.)

was tough getting the hitch on just right. u-haul screwed it up and so ford had to completely redo, re-aligning the exhaust system. they wound up with most all of u-haul's installation fee & hitch cost.

all well worth the hassle. the bikes ride beautifully. the rack is about 30 lbs of what is either powder coated or very well painted steel. the finish is lasting nicely. i don't like some of the large plastic inserts which do not stay in well. also i do not like the hinge feature which allows access to trunk or back of a truck. it eliminates the safety of that lock bolt i bought to attach the rack to the hitch because instead of now being a solid steel connection, the bike could be removed by just taking out one bolt and taking half the rack with it. so i have to cable that half of the rack or bike or both directly to a steel loop at the hitch.

otherwise i'm very pleased with the system. it holds the bikes far enough away from the car paint so as not to scratch. i like the fold down arms when not carrying bikes. i love how the bike rides as one with the car, so i don't lose a bike when i'm driving like a shoe lace through traffic. it should have come with a few extra rubber bands and there is a breaking mechanism built into the bike clamp which is supposed to keep the clamp in place on the arm that is ineffective, so if you are doing 80 mph, the bike needs to be tied directly to the rack so that wind does not push it backwards.

the rack is a thule which my store sells for $10 off list.

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=958

Thule 2-Bike Parkway - Downtown Bicycles - Fort Lauderdale

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
2001 Mustang SVT Cobra convertible
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

2001 Mustang SVT Cobra convertible

... assembled on 5/23/2001, #1806 of 3384. Hand assembled 4.6L dual overhead cam motor with signed template on valve covers of the two assemblers. 25,700 miles. Just came back from a short cruise with the top down as we have an absolutely beautiful day. (Though I shouldn't be using the gas since it's difficult to get right now; post-Ike.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cruisin_for_chicks.jpg (446.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

CJ, your avatar is uncannily similar to a photo that I took:

Old 09-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #20

Speaking of sportscars heres mine http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/41810012.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/41810006.jpg