Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Yuppers! bbbamI, you do like the unusual avatars and like to change them up frequently. Perhaps we need a contest to find your next one!
Hey...let 'er rip! Three weeks in TX in August for the winner! But, be careful...I'm the shy one. ...........

See what you started Scott....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I can think of 2 reasons, if one doesn't buy FD self-proclaimed reason that he ran out of things to say:

1) FD felt postings in this forum were getting a bit dull, and wanted to incite some excitement.

2) The Dow crossed the 9000 benchmark, which was also his post count. FD's recent viewpoint on the stock market appeared a bit bearish,and he would post again if the Dow crossed 9000 on the way down. If so, being a bull, I am torn between seeing him go and seeing the Dow crashes again. No, FD, you should take on a different challenge: to outpost the Dow as it climbs! I would cheer you on.

FD is to the right of me on the political scale, but I miss his presence as a counterweight to the liberals here. Yes, even as the soapbox is already closed.

About LZG4N's disappearance, being a new member here, some time ago I went and read his old posts, and found that he deleted his photos stored on an external site that he linked to. That meant a deliberate action on his part. That is sad. Why LZ? Why?
There's lots and lots of reasons FD might be shutting off the spigot, ranging from external constraints, to personal reasons, to a feeling that he was not getting what he wanted out of the forum. Personally, I post less these days because I have a job at a place there is no way on earth I would ever be comfy posting, although they do not restrict me from the site.

As for lazy, I really do not know. Really nice guy whose retirement plan kind of went down the tubes. Maybe he is too busy living life. Maybe he was pestered by an anti-gay stalker. Maybe he just does not want a daily reminder of how his retirement blew up. But I miss him and wish he were around again.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Me too Brewer.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always enjoyed Lazy's posts as he was so different from myself that I found it interesting to see life from his point of view. Particularly enjoyed his cycling excursions with attached photos.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I always enjoyed Lazy's posts as he was so different from myself that I found it interesting to see life from his point of view. Particularly enjoyed his cycling excursions with attached photos.
Yes, and thanks to CuppaJoe for posting those links to his last posts. I actually did check on his "view posts" link to see what was up when his posts dropped off, but that was before those last ones, and then I missed those.

I was actually concerned that things did not go well with meeting up with his Father after so long, but it sounds like that went OK, good for him.

He definitively brought some unique perspectives to the forum - he had some real insight. I'd like to hear an update from him. No shame in needing to change plans. As many of us have said, if you want 100% portfolio success you work until you die. Most of us are taking some chances, but feel the reward is worth it. It isn't going to work out for all of us.

One of these days I'm going to put his hints together to figure out which popular composer he was related to. Shouldn't be hard to do based on the clues so far, more a process of elimination.

-ERD50
Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #86
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
He definitively brought some unique perspectives to the forum - he had some real insight. I'd like to hear an update from him.
I especially appreciated his spiritual/philosophical perspectives.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Maybe he just does not want a daily reminder of how his retirement blew up.
That's the most likely reason. He could not sell his mother's house that he inherited, he had to find work, and his partner died. Before he left, his last posts were bitter. Then, he appeared to try to erase as much as possible any of his traces in this forum. That is sad. I remember one post where he ranted about the Protestant work ethics that he lost, and tried to regain. Maybe he blamed us for the "bad influence".

Anyway, I do not know any gay or lesbian in life, so wanted to know more about him. I first found LG4NB's posts interesting after reading about his love of his dying mother, and like DM, wanted to read about his view of the world.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I miss Lazy too!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I miss Lazy's pictures of Florida . He always made me want to take pictures of Sarasota but so far I failed him .
Old 07-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then, he appeared to try to erase as much as possible any of his traces in this forum. That is sad.
It might not be intentional. I assume you are talking about the photos, they put a time limit on editing posts a while back. The photos are linked to an off-site photo sharing place. At some point people decide to close the account or change access privileges, or even just lose their password or something. I see it often on other forums. People make a change and they are not thinking about the links to some forum they no longer access.

But it is sad that we don't have the photos any more - some real gems in there.

-ERD50
Old 07-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyway, I do not know any gay or lesbian in life, so wanted to know more about him.
That seems close to impossible. You perhaps are not very perceptive?

Ha
Old 07-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

But it is sad that we don't have the photos any more - some real gems in there. ....
I did a photo essay of what it was like to work at my last job. This is what was up on the screen that day, May 16, 2008, all are Lazyís photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.jpg (470.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0704.jpg (542.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0705.jpg (472.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0706.jpg (512.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

More of Lazyís photos from May 16, 2008. Love the last one, what path are you on today, Lazy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0707.jpg (512.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0708.jpg (487.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0709.jpg (534.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Cuppajoe: I loved Lazy's pics. He often included funny and insightful comments.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That seems close to impossible. You perhaps are not very perceptive?

Ha
No, I am not. Growing up as a nerd, as I age, I mostly transformed into a geek. I spend more time reading than meeting people.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #96
Administrator

Quote:
No, I am not. Growing up as a nerd, as I age, I mostly transformed into a geek. I spend more time reading than meeting people.
Also in some parts of the country it is more customary for gays to be "out" and to let you know that they are gay, than in others. Here in New Orleans people could care less if someone is gay or not so it is no big deal, but in some areas it might be more hush-hush.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I too miss Lazy and I worry about him. He seemed depressed at times and I just hope he is OK.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #98

Quote:
Growing up as a nerd, as I age, I mostly transformed into a geek.
Sounds fairly familiar. I think of a geek as a nerd with some social skills.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyway, I do not know any gay or lesbian in life
You do, but your Gaydar is set too low!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Also in some parts of the country it is more customary for gays to be "out" and to let you know that they are gay, than in others. Here in New Orleans people could care less if someone is gay or not so it is no big deal, but in some areas it might be more hush-hush.
As in my little town.