My amazing Beatles story - anyone else have one?

Growing up, I knew about the Beatles (who didn't?). And I listened to quite a few of their songs on the radio and liked them, without knowing that the songs were theirs, not until much much later. Like a few years ago.

Is that not amazing?

That's amazing. I knew who the Beatles was, what they looked like, where they ware from, etc, etc and could hum along with some when I was maybe 8 years or 9 years old, living in... Japan. They were huge even back there.

Michelle was the 2nd English song I ever learned to sing (the 1st was the alphabet song); someone wrote down the lyrics in Katakana for me (again this was when I was either 8 or 9 years old.) The song was on a plastic, donut single record.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to see them at the Hollywood Bowl. The only problem was I was in the second row from the back. I heard some talking between songs and that was about it! LOL. Fast forward 50 years and I am sitting at a poker table in Reno and speaking with a nice gentleman between hands. I don't know how we got on the subject but he was at the same show as me! He was friends with Casey Casem and was in the second row. He was also invited back stage after the show to eat, drink and talk with them. What a coincidence to run into someone who was at the same concert as my 50 years later......

I've actually run into a fair number of people who've been to the same concerts as me, although only about 40 years or so ago. If I remember correctly I've even run into people on this forum who've been to some of the same concerts as me. Anyone my age(ish) from the DC area has a chance of it. There weren't that many venues and I used to go to a lot of shows.

harley, I guess it happens more than thought. I used to go to just about every concert that came my way and I was always surprised how short the Beatle concerts were compared to every one else but of course, I didn't care then or now.

This topic makes me remember the crazy days of past and especially when referring to concerts. I went to the Santa Monica auditorium to see Pink Floyd and they could not sell out the 1,800 seats for one night! Compare that to when they played at the Forum for 7 nights in a row to a sold out audience every night. Sorry, all, got a little bit off topic just now........memories!

This topic makes me remember the crazy days of past and especially when referring to concerts. I went to the Santa Monica auditorium to see Pink Floyd and they could not sell out the 1,800 seats for one night! Compare that to when they played at the Forum for 7 nights in a row to a sold out audience every night. Sorry, all, got a little bit off topic just now........memories!

Heh, heh. We'll let it go this time.:)

Heh, heh. We'll let it go this time.:)

I've been patiently waiting for this thread to go slightly off topic so that I can share my two related-but-off-topic stories.

In 1955 my dad was stationed at an Air Force base in England. We lived in Woolton (near Liverpool) for a year and after some research found that John Lennon lived about 1.5 miles away at the same time. From Wikipedia:

Throughout the rest of his childhood and adolescence he lived with his aunt and uncle, Mimi and George Smith, who had no children of their own, at Mendips, 251 Menlove Avenue, Woolton.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/219...071443d13ec3b24!2m2!1d-2.8827204!2d53.3777891

In the early 70's, Eric Clapton lived across the street from my parents. They would complain about the music and parties and the hippies across the street. Never new it was Eric Clapton living there until years later.

So here's my two quick stories. Not Beatles related however.

Back when I was in high school I was in a lousy garage band; we were really bad. Some little neighborhood kid named David kept hanging around whenever we practiced (we were about 15-16 he was something like 9 or 10). He was always jumping around, being a nuisance and always wanted the mic so he could sing and sometimes we'd humor him and let him sing just to make him go away. PITA!
His father was a doctor and he ended up moving away (good riddance) and dozen years later "David" hooked up with some band called Van Halen.

Second story: My best friend had gone to hear a new band that was visiting a small Boston club; dark and dinky little place. After the set he went to the Men's Room and stood at the urinal. The lead singer sidled up to the next one and my friend told him he liked his songs and they chatted for a few seconds and finally Bruce Springsteen said "thanks but I gotta go" and went back out to finish the show.

Okay, still way off topic, here: I worked with the brother of Axl Rose's step father. One of my bankers went to Sunday School with John (Cougar) Mellenkamp. One of my boss' brothers was a friend of one of the members of the group Champaign ("What 'bout Us" ca. 1981).

6 degrees of Kevin Backon, baby!

(Is this a thread ender?) YMMV

My cousin's best friend's son was Ben Harper's bass player for awhile. Only 3 degrees there.

I was in college in Cleveland a new band was in town and playing in the flats but a really bad snow storm happens that night. I still went to it but there was only about 10 other people there. They still did the show but when they were on brake they came out and had a drink with us. Eurythmics, Annie was very nice.

When in Miami my brother got me tickets to a David Burns concert in a small venue. Of course the AC broke and it was +100d in the venue but he did play Burning down the house to acknowledge it. After the concert my brother said we are going to some hotel bar there was David for the after concert, had a nice talk with him.

One of my dad's best friends from HS dated a woman who grew up on Penny Lane with the Beatles.

Okay, still way off topic, here: I worked with the brother of Axl Rose's step father. One of my bankers went to Sunday School with John (Cougar) Mellenkamp. One of my boss' brothers was a friend of one of the members of the group Champaign ("What 'bout Us" ca. 1981).

6 degrees of Kevin Backon, baby!

(Is this a thread ender?) YMMV

Mellencamp is my fourth or fifth cousin! [emoji12]

I "roadied" for his guitarist, Larry Crane, who played with a buddy of mine who was a bassist, when they were 15 (I was 17)...

Back
Top Bottom