My Bass Fishing Technique

T

TromboneAl

I'm about to go do some bass fishing using a technique that I've never seen anybody else use. I paddle up to a group of lily pads in my canoe, and quietly slide right into them. I then simply lower a small crappie type jig lure on 4 lb test line over the side and watch it. If I see a bass within reach I move it over in front of him. If he grabs it, I lift him up and net him.

The fish not only are not afraid of the canoe, I even have the impression that they are curious about it.

This has been pretty effective for me. Anybody else seen or tried this?

TromboneAl said:
I'm about to go do some bass fishing using a technique that I've never seen anybody else use.  I paddle up to a group of lily pads in my canoe, and quietly slide right into them. 

Do you have an aluminum canoe, or some quieter type? Also, is the lake such that you can put in near your quarry?

When I was a kid we fished mostly in a river, and our technique was a minnow on a light leader under a bobber. Occasionally we'd get a bass or two while seining for the minnows. Our seine was a burlap sack wired between 2 tobacco sticks. Get in waste deep water, and head toward a cul-de-sac. And try to get it over with well before nightfall, if we were spending the night on the river.

I have heard that this same bobber technique with an appropriate bait works well for steelhead too. Keeps your bait off the snags.

Mikey

I have a beat-up kevlar canoe. Only 55 pounds.

I can paddle to the fishing spot in about 12 minutes from where I put the canoe in. That's good, because if I paddle hard, I get to count that as my exercise for the day.

I didn't catch anything today, but I had a big one on the line for a while. Pulled the whole canoe around a bit.

Interesting...never seen anyone try it. 4 lb seems a bit light for bass, esp with your idea. I would think heavier line, although less sensitive, would be needed to support the weight w/o it breaking the line or allow you to yank the fish out w/o a struggle.

Back
Top Bottom