Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My card, sir.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:58 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some things just never change. A long time ago, in the military, at least the Army, officers were "required" to have "calling cards" which were deposited in a dish or other container when one "called" on the commander and usually his spouse at thier home. The cards were used on other formal occassions. Of course I think this custom may have gone by the wayside now. But the idea of the plain (name, email, address, phone number) makes real sense now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Guy
Of course I think this custom may have gone by the wayside now. But the idea of the plain (name, email, address, phone number) makes real sense now.
It's still required at both the Naval Academy & West Point... and I'm sure there are a few places in senior officer houses around the world.

Remember all the codes indicated by folding down different corners of the card? Yeah, me neither.

But this is when the cards were made by engraving the form on a brass plate, paying for a bulk purchase, and waiting a couple weeks for the order to come in. I ordered 1000 cards in the early 90s (it probably saved me two or three dollars over the 200-card purchase) and they lasted over a decade.

I much prefer watching my nephew the Army Ranger cycle through various signatures in his e-mails.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I have no problem with the personal card that has only basic information on it. When I was a company president, I had two sets of cards, one with title and the other just with name.

It was fun to see the difference in treatment between the two cards, I always used the untitled cards at trade shows to avoid getting targetted on callback lists. If I was making a joint call with a junior salesman, I would also use the untitled card so the salesman could maintain call control.

(Hmm maybe I should print a set with Portfolio Manager on them just to see what happens...)
Old 08-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
(Hmm maybe I should print a set with Portfolio Manager on them just to see what happens...)
The company I currently work for doesn't use titles on business cards. I don't know how far up the food chain the "blind" cards go.

When you're retired, why not put something with more umph... Director of Strategic Investments
Old 08-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
The company I currently work for doesn't use titles on business cards.* I don't know how far up the food chain the "blind" cards go.

When you're retired, why not put something with more umph... Director of Strategic Investments
VP Wealth Creation
Internet Copywriter (for these posts)
Old 08-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a perfect stranger hand me his card, so he & his wife could get a tax write off on the meal!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
I had a perfect stranger hand me his card, so he & his wife could get a tax write off on the meal!*
Smart move. I should look at something like that for myself. Unfortunately, you eventually have to do something that makes money. That sounds too much like work.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Yes.* And based on his lack of depth perception in timing his crossing, I would guess he needed a new prescription.*

Wonder why that turkey crossed the road?
Maybe they were beer goggles... and he was chasing a "beautiful" pair of breasts...