Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a quick update. My dear boy's still hanging in there but has become increasingly frail. He only weighs about 7 pounds now. In his heyday, he was a 12 pounder. It's amazing he's still with us since my trusted vet thought he wouldn't live to see last November.

He's always been a very happy cat and I think he's hanging on because he likes his life. I know the time is drawing near and I'll have to face that awful decision soon. In the meantime, as long as he doesn't appear to be in pain, is eating, and wants to curl up next to DH and I in bed every night, that time isn't here.

We consider him to be in "hospice care" now since he's too frail for invasive treatments or surgery. He's had a very delicate tummy and I've struggled to treat that. I recently put him on Pepcid AC (1/4 tab daily) and it really helped. I've also been mixing a little Slippery Elm herb in his food. Any of you with pets with any kind of GI problems should give Slippery Elm a try. It's very safe and is the kind of thing that will either do nothing or help. I think it's helping him a bit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Just a quick update. My dear boy's still hanging in there but has become increasingly frail. He only weighs about 7 pounds now. In his heyday, he was a 12 pounder. It's amazing he's still with us since my trusted vet thought he wouldn't live to see last November.

He's always been a very happy cat and I think he's hanging on because he likes his life. I know the time is drawing near and I'll have to face that awful decision soon. In the meantime, as long as he doesn't appear to be in pain, is eating, and wants to curl up next to DH and I in bed every night, that time isn't here.

We consider him to be in "hospice care" now since he too frail for invasive treatments or surgery. He's had a very delicate tummy and I've struggled to treat that. I recently put him on Pepcid AC (1/4 tab daily) and it really helped. I've also been mixing a little Slippery Elm herb in his food. Any of you with pets with any kind of GI problems should give Slippery Elm a try. It's very safe and is the kind of thing that will either do nothing or help. I think it's helping him a bit.
You have been doing everything that can be done for your little boy. While it is a very difficult situation, you clearly have his best interests in your heart.

I know it's hard to see him lose so much weight, but 7 pounds is not a bad weight for a cat who is sick. When my cat Peanut got sick five years ago (and was also on Pepcid AC), he dropped down to 6.5 pounds but still had many more happy months inside of him. My vet would tell me about her cat, Sigmund, who weighed much less but was still comfortable and happy.

I never knew what tomorrow would bring. I was very sad when Peanut finally passed away, but I also took heart knowing that I loved him and that he loved me. I did everything I could. He lived a happy life.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the update Purron...I wondered about the little fellow. I appreciate the tips as well since my cats are 14 and 18 years old. I've got to make them as comfortable as possible too. They are doing ok, but getting on up there in years.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

What a sweetie your cat is, Purron. I'm sorry he's so sick, but of course he's hanging in there, with all that tender loving care.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone. You guys are the best. Your support means so very much to me.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

What a beautiful cat. I'm glad you have had all this time with him.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah cats can surprise you how much they can manage when down to 6-7 pounds. We lost one to cancer and despite weighing just under 7 lbs near the end he would still jump up on the kitchen counter if I was peeling shrimp.

That cat is fortunate to have you Purron, and I'm sure you feel lucky to have him. Thanks for the updates.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #108
Gone but not forgotten

Your cat is amazing ! I think it is your excellent care that is keeping him going .
Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Your cat is amazing ! I think it is your excellent care that is keeping him going .

I agree! You are such a good kitty mommie Purron!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Hummer's Gone
Old 05-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Hummer's Gone

My husband and I made the very painful decision today to have our much loved Hummer euthanized. It was him time. Our hearts are broken and we miss him so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the face.jpg (22.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry for your loss. I've read a lot of your posts and you've been so good to Hummer. I'm sure he knew how lucky he was to spend his life with you. I know it is hard to make that painful decision, but I bet Hummer agreed with you. Hope good memories of Hummer crowd out the pain of losing him.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Purron. It hurts but is the right path.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry...I know it hurts.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #114
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss Purron.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Aw, Purron!! I am so sad to hear this. It was the right thing to do, but so hard and so heartbreaking.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm so sorry, Purron.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Hard deal - he stayed a long time, brave of you two to let him go at last. Tough tough thing to do what's best. You are good people.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

I'm very sorry. Tough to let them go.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #119
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry. For the same malady we had to make the same choice once. It is tough, but you will get through it.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #120
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Purron, I'm very sorry to hear about your kitty.