Join Early Retirement Today

My Computer is totally secure...won't download
Old 04-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Computer is totally secure...won't download

Somehow, I've managed to make my computer unable to download files off the internet or even open email attachments. I've tried turning off every security feature I have and nothing seems to work. This has to be something really stupid.

I also have had my hard disc segmented in half. I didn't do that intentionally but it is now. All of this has happened within the last 3 weeks.

Any suggestions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: My Computer is totally secure...won't download
Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
Somehow, I've managed to make my computer unable to download files off the internet or even open email attachments. I've tried turning off every security feature I have and nothing seems to work. This has to be something really stupid.

I also have had my hard disc segmented in half. I didn't do that intentionally but it is now. All of this has happened within the last 3 weeks.

Any suggestions?
What happens when you try?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #3

When I click to down open the attachment nothing happens. When I try to save it says "There was an error saving one or more attachments. Please check your free disk space and try again." My free disk space is over 70%.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #4

You said your HDD space was segmented in two. Is one of the segments full? IE always downloads to a temp folder and then moves the result to its destination, meaning if your system drive is full you can't download to another logical drive no matter how much free space you have.

I have no idea how you could unintentionally segment your drive in half. People who try to do that often fail, yet you've done it accidentally.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 AM   #5

Both segments are less than 30% full.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm assuming it's windows.* You can try a checkdisk to see if it will clean up any file system errors.* Start ; Run ; "command" ; "chkdsk /f"* ;* "y" ; "exit" ;* reboot.* ;* wait* ; try downloading again.*
Old 04-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #7

I found out that formatting your hard drive and reinstalling windows can be very effective.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #8

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=75634

Old 04-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

2B - Sounds like a virus (or overload of spyware) to me... just off the top of the head.* Weird symptoms like you related are typical of infected systems.* I recently had a successful bout with the "There was an error saving one or more attachments" bugaboo but I didn't allow it to go as far as your system has gone.

If you are like me, you have a lot of data files from many years that are important to keep - so I backup regularly and keep the system clean of viruses and spyware so that you aren't forced to reformat and reinstall a whole new windows system.*

riskaverse's suggestion is the first thing that you should do - and then update and run an anti-virus program in "safe mode" - this will detect and eliminate those pesky virii that are smart enough to stop you from removing them with the main AV pgm.*

It's always good to run 'hijackthis' to get a second opinion of the scareyness of your 'startup' programs.

after cleaning, download and regularly update 'spywareblaster'* which will keep basic spyware pgms from being downloaded.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #10

It's fixed. I had downloaded Windows Defender a few weeks ago. It found some deeply buried spyware and cleaned it up. Everything worked fine for a while but it eventually must have grown drunk with power. It totally "secured" my computer.

I disabled every security program I have, rebooted and the problem was still there. I decided I would start removing programs until I found the problem. Windows Defender was the last loaded so it was the first to be removed. My computer now works.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #11

You don't have to do any of the above with a Mac. I'm not a member of the cult. Bought a Mac a few months ago and still have several Windows machines. Just something to think about.

Anyway to solve the problem I would try and copy off all my files to an external drive and then reload Windows. Then go to Microsoft and install all new patches, then load a good antivirus product.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #12

I never use any anti Virus Programs! - To me they are worse than the Viruses. I have not had a virus in 2 years. I think they have mostly 'gone out of fashion'.

If I get a virus, I'll deal with it! - The 'protection' software is mostly a Pain in the Ass!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #13

I have various spyware blockers in effect. I have a virus protection plan working perfectly for over 2 years. I just got sucked into a Microsoft beta program that had indegestion with my operating system.

My DW was getting difficult. We have a new grandbaby and she couldn't download the day by day pictures. Can you spell E-U-N-I-C-H if I didn't get this fixed.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:20 PM   #14

Yea, your probably right. I have had more spyware than virus.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I never use any anti Virus Programs! - To me they are worse than the Viruses. I have not had a virus in 2 years. I think they have mostly 'gone out of fashion'.

If I get a virus, I'll deal with it! - The 'protection' software is mostly a Pain in the Ass!
A careful knowledgable user can avoid viruses and spyware pretty well. I've been running a virus scanner for 4 years at home; at first it was to get familiar with its idiosyncracies since I was supporting it at work. Later it was required for VPN access and lately the VPN software makes sure the scanner is installed, working and up-to-date before allowing me to VPN into work.

Before that I used safe browsing habits and individually scanned untrusted files that I downloaded but had no active scanner hogging resources. No viruses or spyware at home for ages.

Viruses are not "out of fashion". It's just that their modern aim is to put a remote control backdoor into your PC instead of directly harm it. Most of the viruses install kits that have your PC check in to an IRC channel (a chat room) the virus publisher operates. The virus guy can give commands to particular computers or all computers at once. This is a "botnet" and a great way to commit "DDOS" attacks. They can also browse the PC's filesystems, view the webcam and so forth. If the virus remains undetected then the virus publisher has more opportunity to exploit the "zombie" (infected) PC.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #16

I downloaded Windows Defender too. What a piece of crap! My computer at home died shortly thereafter, and I have formatted the hd and reinstalled windows. Problem solved! On the other PC's I have it on, it continually gets an error message and then won't run. I need to uninstall it.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dangnabit! I was having some gremlins in firefox and with my wireless connection and I had fiddled with everything tryin to fix the problems. After uninstalling Defender they went away.

I guess its not just an iterative release of the old Giant Antispyware they bought last year :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I run ZoneAlarm freebie firewall, AVG Free antivirus (also freebie) and Firefox on Win XP :P. Occasionally run Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spy Ware Blaster (all free). They are well-behaved and don't slow things down that I can tell. (ZoneAlarm prevented me from installing my latest DSL, but that was my own stupidity.) Also Yahoo for e-mail and dump the "bulk mail" folder often and don't open questionable e-mails, chain letters, ads, etc.

I have been safe for many years. The kids have collected a few nasty viruses, though, by not following my rules. They learned, though.

Paranoia is my hobby. As an old friend pontificated: Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they ain't out to get ya.