Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My cousin's new video
Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My cousin's new video

Just thought I'd put this link up. My cousin's band recorded their new CD in Texas, and this is my favorite song on it. Good for listening on a lazy afternoon.

They've been traveling all over doing the usual crappy gigs in dive bars, and living off merchandise sales. They have had some medium venue engagements, but it is a slog. It's interesting seeing from their perspective what it's like trying to break through without the promotion of a big label.

I'd love to hear what anybody thinks...

igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought it was ok. I think my speakers are screwed up though seemed to be very heavy on the bass over the rest of the sounds. Just my 2 cents.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #3

Nice song. It's amazing how the top entertainers....those who have had the breaks... make mega-millions while in the next tier down, those without the breaks, struggle to make a viable living.

Yeah, but I'm sure that Paris Hilton earned all that she's got....
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey thanks for listening.
Personally, I prefer the grittiness of live performances and live recordings. If you've ever been in a recording studio, you can see how they isolate each instrument completely, and with the computer, can just punch in or out any notes or effects they want to, can push a button to fix tuning, it's crazy. To me, it ends up sounding a little too clean and antiseptic. But I guess there are plenty of people who like the studio versions better.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thnks for posting that igsoy.

DW and I are big fans of small venue live, accoustic music and festival music. That means we see a lot of pub music, church basement coffee house music, small clubs in the city, and, of course, Celtic, Bluegrass and folk festivals.

The entertainers at the small venues generally have one thing in common: they must love the music because they're sure not making any money playing it. And that's despite, in most instances, being quite talented.

Traveling around the country with 1 - 4 folks in a small vehicle pulling a little trailer for the instruments. Being sponsored by local music clubs who provide free room and board while they're in town. Playing at venues where the rent is really cheap, or free, so the bulk of the gate can be turned over to them. Counting on selling a handful of CD's at intermission to pay for the gas to get the hell out of town........ Few ever hint at their austere existence and most all put on great shows.

On the other hand........ We go to see acts at Chicago's many large venues too. And we attend 5 - 6 festivals a year. The row of full size touring buses ($400k - $1,000k ea) and the $40 - $75 ticket price tag reminds us that not all performers are starving!

Hope your cousin makes it into the high priced group!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I like it !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I can hear the lineage of, say, Buffalo Springfield - Poco - Eagles...

Good tune.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I can hear the lineage of, say, Buffalo Springfield - Poco - Eagles...

Good tune.
I liked it - maybe a little 'Flying Burrito Bros' in there too?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey thanks for the nice comments. Anyone who enjoyed this band's style, you can hear some other tunes on their myspace page:

MySpace.com - Hymns - New York - Rock / Indie / Folk Rock - www.myspace.com/hymnsband

You can hear the kid's not ERed 70 yr old dad blowing some trumpet on the backing tracks, fun!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I like it........definitely my cup of tea.........is there a CD I can buy??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I like it........definitely my cup of tea.........is there a CD I can buy??
Oh, sure, their two CDs are on iTunes , band name: Hymns
or you can buy an actual CD here:

BLACKLAND RECORDS
Old 04-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I liked it - maybe a little 'Flying Burrito Bros' in there too?

-ERD50
Definitely.

I liked it, too. The video doesn't make any sense to me, though.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Definitely.
I liked it, too. The video doesn't make any sense to me, though.

Yeah, my theory for the faster video of a different song is trying to give the impression that that slow song would go well with something like a montage video. You know the ones I mean, where they do a retrospective of something while a sentimental song plays over the video. Several TV shows have used this technique, like where a character died or something, and then the previously unknown song they used with the montage entered the collective consciousness and went on to become a hit single.

I don't really know if that's what they were going for, but that was just my idea as I was watching it.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
Yeah, my theory for the faster video of a different song is trying to give the impression that that slow song would go well with something like a montage video. You know the ones I mean, where they do a retrospective of something while a sentimental song plays over the video. Several TV shows have used this technique, like where a character died or something, and then the previously unknown song they used with the montage entered the collective consciousness and went on to become a hit single.

I don't really know if that's what they were going for, but that was just my idea as I was watching it.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. But it really was almost less of a montage than it was almost one continuous faster song with the slower song dubbed over. I don't know, maybe that's why I don't make music videos for a living. I just didn't pick up the montage part.

Still, I think they are a great band influenced by some of my favorite bands/musicians. I listened to a few more of their songs on myspace. They're talented.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #15

sorry, but i'm sending it back to editing. couldn't finish watching it. like trying to watch a tv program where the voices are out of sync with the lips.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote