Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well I was reading late last night and I saw where one big Univeristy,preferred the conventional surgery over TPLO,TTA,which they thought was a riskier surgery and that a good surgeon and good post op care were the key to success of a repaired ACL.

I have read of complications of post infection,which is so much easier to treat with the conventional method.
The Vet can get the screws from anywhere,which I believe are stainless steel.

It is all very confusing but I am going to go with the conventional.
It will be interesting to hear what the Vet says about it on Friday.
I will let him say his peace before,I let him know what method,I prefere.
So if he isn't to my liking,we will seek another Vet.I want the best for our boy.

Though I don't want to wait too long because of arthritis setting in and non use of that leg,which will cause loss of muscle.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our dog Pepper had Extracapsular Surgery (nylon band) to fix his torn ACL about 3 years ago with a 12 week recovery time. Thankfully today, he's still doing okay (7 yrs old; 40 lbs).

Extracapsular: knee surgery for dogs who have blown out their ACL

Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

That is great news.I am hoping I like this Vet and after the w/end,one chapter will be closing and another chapter to a good recovery,with post surgery care,will get us back our Boy.
Thanks for the input.So many friendly people.

I am driving myself bonkers,as you can see,I keep reading and reading everything I can.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

For those who have had ACL surgery done,how much did the procedures cost.I am getting quoted $2,000+ for the conventional,my dog is only 20lbs and I have already spent,close to $500 on bloodwork and Xrays.

I feel this is a lot but will pay it anyway,since I want my dog to get well.
My thoughts are pet owners are being taken advanatge of,maybe not by all Vets but many.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedToFl View Post
For those who have had ACL surgery done,how much did the procedures cost.I am getting quoted $2,000+ for the conventional,my dog is only 20lbs and I have already spent,close to $500 on bloodwork and Xrays.

I feel this is a lot but will pay it anyway,since I want my dog to get well.
My thoughts are pet owners are being taken advanatge of,maybe not by all Vets but many.
That sounds about right...I think our total bill at the end of the day was close to that. We ask a friend who was also a vet what the ballpark cost should be and she said any good ACL surgery would not be under $1,000 (not including all of the other incidentals like blood work, etc).

In our house, our dog is part of the family. We had another dog who died in 2007 and we paid about $6K for cancer surgery....it was worth every penny just to spend some more time with him (still miss him every day and his crazy antics ).
Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$2400 is about what it cost us. 120 lb Rott needed a little extra anesthesia juice. Our vet is a great surgeon and our dogs really like him, so they don't mind going, even though they get pretty anxious. One time Lucy licked his face so hard I thought she was going to get a hold of his toupe.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

~$1000 for the 'fishing line' version and about $2500 for the bone rotation version.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Our little guy had surgery today.(conventional typ)

Surgery $2,600 with bloodwork,x-rays,medication.
$170 for the soft crate from Petco.
It will be $400 for water therapy once he is ready.
8 weeks of steady watching him.

Priceless relief,knowing he is going to be alright/thinking positive.

We were told not to be surprised if his other knee goes within 3years.

Pass the aspirin please!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

My little guy looks terrified and somehat out of it.(anesthisia)
He has to wear an ER,plus being in his soft cage isn't much fun.

No where else to go but up!.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #30

Keep us posted, I'm glad he came through the surgery okay.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glad he's good! For the first couple of weeks after surgery I fed mine a lot of full fat yogurt and a nice mix of scrambled eggs and white rice cooked with chicken stock. Tasty, easy to eat, easy to digest, and the probiotics in the yogurt could only do some good.

The yogurt definitely helps with the post surgical drugs, they're tough on the tummy. Anytime mine feels a little pukey I give her a half cup of yogurt and in an hour or two she's better.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks both for your comments.

We give our dogs probiotics and we got some plain yogurt for the Kong to freeze with bannana.to keep him busy,so we are both on the same page as you/thanks.

My one vet gave me something called sucrafate(sp) to give him before his meds for his stomach and hour before.So since I hate those anti-imflammatory drugs(scare me to death,I have heard dogs dying of those things but at the same time ,they really cut down on the immflamation,so tough call),I am glad I have this medication for his stomach,since they can cause stomach ulcers..

This is going to be a rough 8 weeks,seems a lot of care is involved,or maybe it will get easier/hope so,poor dog.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The post op care period was really stressful on us. We had a heck of a time with the bandaging. Constant worry since we both work and couldn't check on her regularly during the day. Worked out well though.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Glad to read the post op stress,turned out well though.

Yes,I am hardly getting any real sleep.We bought a soft crate but he doesn't like it,he isn't used to a crate.
Today,he is fully alert and back to himself.

So he was very anxious this morning,so I decided to let him out of the crate and go around the house on a short leash.
Not much walking though.
I was afraid too that leg would freeze up on him.He won't use it yet.
He was limping badly before surgery and I am not sure if that is it,or it is just too early.If he doesn't start using it tomorrow I will call the surgeon.
He said he might not use it the 1st two or 3days.
He doesn't have a bandage,his leg,his staples are clean and dry.I expected him to be on antibiotics put he isn't.Was your dog on any..

Also he is on Tramadol and Previcox( a new Rimadyl,type of med)
(edited moaning/rofl)

Can you tell me how your post op period went.
I am so tired,little sleep before he did it and now even less sleep.
Thank goodness though,I no longer work.
Love it,still that working is what is paying the bills.