My Dog has a torn ACL

$2400 is about what it cost us. 120 lb Rott needed a little extra anesthesia juice. Our vet is a great surgeon and our dogs really like him, so they don't mind going, even though they get pretty anxious. One time Lucy licked his face so hard I thought she was going to get a hold of his toupe.

Our little guy had surgery today.(conventional typ)

Surgery $2,600 with bloodwork,x-rays,medication.
$170 for the soft crate from Petco.
It will be $400 for water therapy once he is ready.
8 weeks of steady watching him.

Priceless relief,knowing he is going to be alright/thinking positive.

We were told not to be surprised if his other knee goes within 3years.

Pass the aspirin please!

My little guy looks terrified and somehat out of it.(anesthisia)
He has to wear an ER,plus being in his soft cage isn't much fun.

No where else to go but up!.

Glad he's good! For the first couple of weeks after surgery I fed mine a lot of full fat yogurt and a nice mix of scrambled eggs and white rice cooked with chicken stock. Tasty, easy to eat, easy to digest, and the probiotics in the yogurt could only do some good.

The yogurt definitely helps with the post surgical drugs, they're tough on the tummy. Anytime mine feels a little pukey I give her a half cup of yogurt and in an hour or two she's better.

Thanks both for your comments.

We give our dogs probiotics and we got some plain yogurt for the Kong to freeze with bannana.to keep him busy,so we are both on the same page as you/thanks.

My one vet gave me something called sucrafate(sp) to give him before his meds for his stomach and hour before.So since I hate those anti-imflammatory drugs(scare me to death,I have heard dogs dying of those things but at the same time ,they really cut down on the immflamation,so tough call),I am glad I have this medication for his stomach,since they can cause stomach ulcers..

This is going to be a rough 8 weeks,seems a lot of care is involved,or maybe it will get easier/hope so,poor dog.

The post op care period was really stressful on us. We had a heck of a time with the bandaging. Constant worry since we both work and couldn't check on her regularly during the day. Worked out well though.

Glad to read the post op stress,turned out well though.

Yes,I am hardly getting any real sleep.We bought a soft crate but he doesn't like it,he isn't used to a crate.
Today,he is fully alert and back to himself.

So he was very anxious this morning,so I decided to let him out of the crate and go around the house on a short leash.
Not much walking though.
I was afraid too that leg would freeze up on him.He won't use it yet.
He was limping badly before surgery and I am not sure if that is it,or it is just too early.If he doesn't start using it tomorrow I will call the surgeon.
He said he might not use it the 1st two or 3days.
He doesn't have a bandage,his leg,his staples are clean and dry.I expected him to be on antibiotics put he isn't.Was your dog on any..

Also he is on Tramadol and Previcox( a new Rimadyl,type of med)
(edited moaning/rofl)

Can you tell me how your post op period went.
I am so tired,little sleep before he did it and now even less sleep.
Thank goodness though,I no longer work.
Love it,still that working is what is paying the bills.

Back
Top Bottom