Join Early Retirement Today
My dog is dead.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My dog is dead.

Had to put her down. I saw to it that I was there at the moment. Masochism, loyalty, bravery.... I dont know. Doesnt matter.
Even though I like dogs, I dont want another pet. I trat them as if they were persons. And I am too lazy.
Maybe what I like is the vision/aesthetics of dogs, only.
My wife is the one having a real tough time. And wanting another one....

I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
So sorry for your loss. Always hurts to loose a good friend.
You & DW may want to give it a little time before deciding on getting another pet...or not.

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
Sorry about your loss. They are family members and each one is unique.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
When I had our dog finally put down, it was the removal of a significant burden. We'll never get another animal. Our grown kids, however, considered it a great tragedy but then they didn't take care of the dog.

Our dog had terrible arthritis and couldn't lay down or get up easily. It had boils on its body that would periodically ooze blood. I am pretty sure the time was right for the last trip to the vet.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Sorry to hear. It is always tough to make that final decision, but many times the pet lets you know they are ready.

Our pets are like family and to be honest I have cried more for them than some relatives. It is never easy, and time helps heal the hurt you have now.
I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Even when we know it is the right thing, the decision is hard and the actual event is harder still.

Yes, maybe take a break for awhile, do any traveling or visiting relatives that can be more difficult when you have a pet, and then make the decision about adopting another pet once you both have had some time off. With DW and I, it was hard to be "between dogs", just a bit strange not to have the little devil under foot or following us around. When that feeling didn't go away, we figured we needed to find another dog.
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
Very sorry about your loss. Take some time and you'll know the right choice down the road.

It was brave to be there at the end. I haven't been able to do it. I better stop writing or my coworkers will wonder why I'm tearing up in here.
“If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.” - Warren Miller
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Dogs and cats are family, they are always missed when they leave us.
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
We got what I said was "our last dog" in 1996 because we still had kids at home. But then we ended up adopting a stray about 7 years ago (see my avatar). We had to put down our old girl a couple of years ago when she was 16. It was so hard and hurt so much. Now our "young stray" is about 10 years old and I know we will be going through this again in a few years. As far as I am concerned, it will be the last time because this just hurts too darn much. So sorry for your loss.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Sorry you now have this grief to deal with, when your Mom passed away so recently.

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets
So very sorry for your loss! I know it's hard!
Jaxsons101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
The grief of loss is so real and so sad. I am sorry you are going through this.

I had two yorkshire terriers, brothers from the same litter. Growing up together they were CRAZY!!!! But I loved them so much. One developed lymphoma when when he was eight. The other lived until he was 14 and was in heart failure. I was with them both when the vet gently helped them die. Their ashes, along with several other pets, are in the urn where I will eventually join them.

I swore they were the last dogs and kept reminding myself "it is better to have loved and lost than to never have had a dog."

A little more than a year ago I came across a young papillon whose owner was having health problems and looking for a home for him. It was head over paws love at first sight and we are all still besotted with each other.

I'm grateful for the 7 months we were without a dog because it created an absolute for me.....I want a dog in my life...always. You too will know what is best for you. Give it some time.
Don't look back. You're not going in that direction.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
I am very sorry for your loss.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
Letting go of our old dog Violet was one of the hardest things for me ever. Even harder than losing my Mom, for 2 reasons. One was my Mom had a terrible death from cancer and her going was a release from immense pain and 2 I didn't see my mother every day but Violet was like our daughter. I was a wreck for 3-4 days and I still miss her even though it has been over 3 years. My wife however couldn't be without another dog and we go one (rescue out of Taiwan who had a rough 1st part of her life). She is a sweet dog (now) but I don't really want to get as attached as I was with Violet because I know they are only around a short time and the pain was too much the last time

My deepest condolences on your loss
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
I am so sorry for your loss. We grieve for them, because they were family. We put ours down about a month ago, and my eyes welled up when I read the title of your post. We have another dog, and a cat. Not sure if I want two dogs again, and DH says we will have another. We'll see. They are a LOT of work and really limit our mobility and flexibility for travel. But the joy they bring is beyond compare. It's a hard decision.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #16
We lost our lab a couple of years is very hard to go through. She maintains a place of honor on this site though (see my avatar).

In time the grief will lessen and you'll be left with wonderful memories of your time together!
FIRE'D in July 2009 at 51...Never look back!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm sorry for the loss of your four legged family member
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
I am sorry for your loss. Pets are family members and are much missed when they are gone.
powerplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
Sorry. It hurts, because pets give us so much un-conditional love and ask so little in return.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #20

I am so very sorry---we went through this a few months ago with a Cocker Spaniel/Collie mix our youngest son adopted in fourth grade. He was 23 years old when we had to put her to sleep---probably six months after we should have.

We cried so hard (and drank a lot). Our vet told us it would get easier 4-5 days later...and it did. It becomes clearer that you did the best for your much loved companion.

Again, i am so sorry for your pain. There is no way this is easy, even when you KNOW it is best.

ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote